• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Live Trapping Beavers?

Aaaaaaaaaand the thread goes political……🙃

If it offends you.
Don't read it.
Ie.....don't go away mad. Just go away.
You may have been here since 09, but you have no idea what this thread is about.
So...shut up Donny.

• Haha
Reactions: oneshot86
This is how we take care of them in Louisiana.

Beavers are classified as outlaw quadrupeds in Louisiana, allowing for year-round legal take during daylight hours. There currently are no toxicants labeled for use by private landowners to control beavers, making trapping and shooting the best available options.

1934.jpg

300 black out, 22 lr, 222 rem, 9mm, even 30-06 have all been used to “live trap” ….

I relocated thieving coons out of my garden one yr. pretty sure they beat me back from dropping them off a few miles away.
Over the years I have had this problem. Once trapped I now relocate thier brains with a .22 and dispose of them. I’m not wasting gas or energy to relocate. Dead qualifies as “gone”.

What a coon doesn’t tear up they shit on.

Reactions: camocorvette
One of my grandfather's used to run a trap-line up in Northern B.C. 80ish years ago.
Beaver
Coyote
Wolf
Badger
Fox
Weasel/Stoat/Ermine
Fisher
and sometimes Black Bear

He had a very large wall of traps, and used to regale us with detailed stories of 'the best way' to specifically set traps for particular target animals. But what he'd also do, is regale us with what he would use for bait, and how he would make such specific baits. He/they lived in a very remote area, to which at the time is was almost a 2 full day's trip just to get to 'town'. "Self-Sufficient" of that time, would put nearly EVERY "prepper" to shame. And back then, it was simply called "living".

You've been given a good amount of advice to point you in the right direction. How far down this rabbit-hole you wanna go?

(here's a hint: they had a separate shack that my Grandmother used to make my Grandfather live-in, for at least two days, after he came home from running his trap-line. He'd have been gone 'into the bush' for an average of 3 weeks, each time he did this. Serious business, AND a completely different 'wardrobe' as well as means of living.)

Perhaps you should sign them up on OnlyFans and start raking in the dough while giving the beavers something less destructive to do. Reference the thread @TheGerman started. Apparently it's a pretty lucrative business model.

• Haha
Reactions: deersniper
Used to trap them a lot with Conibear 330s. No need for bait. Put on the waders and set them at the entries to the dens. It's a little of a PITA but very effective and fur prices suck to the point of not worthwhile. A less successful but still viable way is #2 leg traps set around corn at the den. They are a lot of fun to shoot at dawn and dusk withn thermal or NV gear. Going to be difficult to live trap them.....and why would anybody want to mover their problem to be somebody else's problem?

Last edited:
Fur trade era trappers put the trap in the pond. Then they shove a stick into the ground with the tip over the area of the trap. Beaver musk is applied to the tip of the stick. The beaver tries to stand up to sniff the tip of the stick, getting their rear paw caught in the trap. Afterward they generally drown.

• Sad
Fur trade era trappers put the trap in the pond. Then they shove a stick into the ground with the tip over the area of the trap. Beaver musk is applied to the tip of the stick. The beaver tries to stand up to sniff the tip of the stick, getting their rear paw caught in the trap. Afterward they generally drown.
One of the inaccurate things in the movie Jerimiah Johnson, along with the bear chasing Bear Claw Chris Lapp and never feeding his horse, was pouring the beaver lure in the water instead of dipping a stick into it and plugging it in the bank.

I have a family of beavers living down on the water and have a collection here on the porch of saplings and chunks of wood they gnawed on that look like they were cut and whittled with a straight razor.

U2 on full volume, 24 hrs a day for a week.

Or Ethyl Merman.

If it offends you.
Don't read it.
Ie.....don't go away mad. Just go away.
You may have been here since 09, but you have no idea what this thread is about.
So...shut up Donny.

I read the OP and it specifically asked for help with live-trapping beavers.

The thread drift, of course, went way off topic and eventually went political…despite the OP request that it stay on topic…But it is the Bear Pit….so we know how it will turn out. Grin, especially since it involves “beavers”.

It amused me, didn’t offend at all. I’ve killed a lot of beavers for damming up places they shouldn’t.

Sorry that you are (apparently) offended by my contribution, but that’s okay. Some guys drunk post, maybe you, too. I have nothing against you.
BTDT.

Hope the OP gets some relief from his creek-flooding varmints.
Carry on.

• Haha
I read the OP and it specifically asked for help with live-trapping beavers.

The thread drift, of course, went way off topic and eventually went political…despite the OP request that it stay on topic…But it is the Bear Pit….so we know how it will turn out. Grin, especially since it involves “beavers”.

It amused me, didn’t offend at all. I’ve killed a lot of beavers for damming up places they shouldn’t.

Sorry that you are (apparently) offended by my contribution, but that’s okay. Some guys drunk post, maybe you, too. I have nothing against you.
BTDT.

Hope the OP gets some relief from his creek-flooding varmints.
Carry on.

The OP is laughing at you, not near you.

Google “Beaver Deceiver”. There are ways to fool them while you’re working on trapping, shooting, etc. I’ve seen these systems firsthand and they work. Not hard to install.

Reactions: BurtG