• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Re: LMT .308 MWS

Dirtyboy333- the knob is made by Larue and can be had in a package deal that includes the bipod, adapter, and QD mount.

Thank you....Yeah, i figured that out but I already have the Harris. Good news is that I called Larue and they will retrofit an existing Harris for $80. I'm not sure if thats including the knob or not.

The PRS stock gives illusion of it being long....
..is the length of pull OK?
..and I'm wondering "if" you feal the need to adjust the cheek riser is its location correct for proper weld?
I'm intreaged by the stock and it could be great for quick adjustment of multiple users of the same rifle.But I cannot see any advantage over the original stock set up with correct rings to get proper height for correct cheek weld as the LOP is adjustable.
I'm just wondering the advantages.
Thanks

My LMT MWS 16" Chrome Lined and LMT MRP 16" with their old setup... new pictures to come soon!
dsc0368om.jpg

Hi everyone, I'm an experience shooter due to my time in the Marine Corps but don't know the particulars of what set up is good or better. I recently read about the LMT from the Guns and Ammo AR book, which talked about the British version of the MWS. When I googled the MWS, this thread popped up and I read everyone's post, thought I don't understand a lot of the discussion. I noticed that a lot of discussion has been around the chromed lined barrel versus the stainless lined one. Can I ask why is the SS one better?

Casey it is generally the case that a Stainless barrel will be more precisely machined and thus more accurate than a chrome-lined barrel. Chrome lining significantly improves barrel life and most military fighting rifles are chrome lined, though precision rifles and sniper rifles are more commonly Stainless.

The LMT chrome-lined barrel has a better reputation for accuracy than any other factory chrome-lined barrel I've heard of, apart from the FN SPR but that is a bolt rifle. I think the SPR, some versions of which are guaranteed by FN as .5 MOA and are often found to average less than .3 MOA, pretty much conclusively proves that it is now technically possible to make precision chrome lined barrels. The LMT is not that accurate, but it is very accurate for a semi-auto chrome lined barrel.

I'm waiting for my MWS with a 20" CL barrel to be shipped. In the mean time a bought a Weaver Tactical 3x15 scope for it and ARMS #22H rings. I plan on not using the issued LMT BUIS for the rifle due to the fact that it does not fold away. What are you guys using for BUIS for the MWS? I would like it to be 308 compatable. Thanks in advance for the your input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trident1982</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can the gents that own the 16" CL barrel weigh in with what it's most accurate with in terms of commercially available factory loaded ammo?
</div></div>

Did you pick one up yet? I just picked up one this AM. Looks to be very well made and the lower is very nicely executed... Very "familiar" you might say... kinda like another .308 gas gun on the market.
wink.gif

Keep us posted on what factory ammo you are getting the best results with out of the 16" CL barrel. I have 1k rounds of 175gr GMM and a couple hundred rounds of Hornady 150gr Superformance that I'll be using for a while. Hopefully it likes it.

Mine is shipping this week, can't wait to make it mine. Congrats on your pick up, I imagine you will enjoy it quite a bit:)

I would be hesitate to run that Hornady SF through yours though, it doesn't like gas guns from my understanding. If you do a quick search on here you should see a thread or two about it. Belmont had trouble with it through his EMC as well.

AFD is correct, it is a Larue product. Instead of using a HArris that goes onto a slig stud, the modify it so that it bolts right to a 1913 rail. A little cleaner install. I really like the knob to grip and tighten down the cant.

Larue is shipping 2011 bottle opener dillos with orders while they last!

I now have a 18SS barrel with a BABC comp on it! Looking to get it out tomorrow and ring steel out to at least 500.

Sweet!!! thanks for the info......I have the Harris/ADM combo which is very nice but it looks as though I'll be copying your style and sending my Harris to Texas for the conversion. I really like it and it's fairly cheap as well.

How's Larue with shipping/turnaround times? This will be my first experience with them.

Trident: Can't wait to see yours and your excellent findings brother!!! You were right about the ease of a barrel change....I couldn't believe it. I still don't see whats holding the barrel in. I know the index Torx bolt is but how is the barrel so damn tight when installed??? Is it clamped or something?

My MWS is all done except the 18"SS. I'm going to shoot my CL for a while before I step up to the big leagues.

P.S. I'm new to the site so can any1 tell me if theres a way i can get email notification when theres a reply to a thread i've posted in. M4C has this feature and I really like it.

Wow, just wow. Got the Battle Comp BABC 308 brak-ider on the 18SS barrel with the PRS stock and Slashes SS heavy buffer. Getting a good prone position and loading the Harris bipod finally has tamed the recoil impulse enough that I can call my own splash and corrections.

Zero'd the CQBSS with some PVI 168gr match and shot it out to 500 yards. It was like a metranome out to 400 yards. At 500 I had a few issues mainly with discerning the steel from the background due to similar color, maybe the ammo and not having a tuned in dope for that range. Switched to some Fed gold match 168 and it is going to take some different dope from 400 on. Had to get home before I could work it out.

Looking forward to shooting some long range paper next time to get good dope, but didn't have the time today.

Bright sunny day, high 30s. Little cold in the shade on the firing line.

Finally getting the gun to run the way I want. That BABC is the heat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirtyboy333</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet!!! thanks for the info......I have the Harris/ADM combo which is very nice but it looks as though I'll be copying your style and sending my Harris to Texas for the conversion. I really like it and it's fairly cheap as well.

How's Larue with shipping/turnaround times? This will be my first experience with them.

Trident: Can't wait to see yours and your excellent findings brother!!! You were right about the ease of a barrel change....I couldn't believe it. I still don't see whats holding the barrel in. I know the index Torx bolt is but how is the barrel so damn tight when installed??? Is it clamped or something?

My MWS is all done except the 18"SS. I'm going to shoot my CL for a while before I step up to the big leagues.

P.S. I'm new to the site so can any1 tell me if theres a way i can get email notification when theres a reply to a thread i've posted in. M4C has this feature and I really like it. </div></div>

I'm really glad to hear your MWS is coming around brother, I equally enjoy the thought of sharing future notes and range reports with you once I finally get mine...I was sure tickled pick when you told me you took ownership of one of these fantastic rifles:)

The beauty of this system is honestly it's uber reliable simplicity. As time goes on, and the more comfortable you become with it, you will come to gain a much greater understanding and appreciation for Karl Lewis's monolithic railed rifle design
cool.gif

Try the "add this thread to my watched topics" feature...you will see the check box whenever you click to reply in a thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FromMyColdDeadHa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, just wow. Got the Battle Comp BABC 308 brak-ider on the 18SS barrel with the PRS stock and Slashes SS heavy buffer. Getting a good prone position and loading the Harris bipod finally has tamed the recoil impulse enough that I can call my own splash and corrections.

Zero'd the CQBSS with some PVI 168gr match and shot it out to 500 yards. It was like a metranome out to 400 yards. At 500 I had a few issues mainly with discerning the steel from the background due to similar color, maybe the ammo and not having a tuned in dope for that range. Switched to some Fed gold match 168 and it is going to take some different dope from 400 on. Had to get home before I could work it out.

Looking forward to shooting some long range paper next time to get good dope, but didn't have the time today.

Bright sunny day, high 30s. Little cold in the shade on the firing line.

Finally getting the gun to run the way I want. That BABC is the heat. </div></div>

Fantastic report friend-o....reading reports like that get me giddy like a schoolgirl
grin.gif

Seeing your own splash is quite important when your operation consists of you, yourself, and Irene;)

I imagine you will be banging steel in no time at 800-1000yds with that badass rifle of yours.

I have a BABC just waiting on my MWS that I received some time ago for T&E purposes on a 300blk MRP setup....since the 300blk MRP hasn't yet materialized, I'm going to put it to good use on the MWS. I got everything ready to go, I'm just missing the star of my little show.

P.S. POST SOME F**KING PICS, WHY DON'T YOU:)

ok i was looking for that checkbox and now i've found it.

I will edit some pics into this post tomorrow when my recon mount is here since it was delayed a day. I know NF optics are the shiznit but i just couldn't swing one right now. I've been researching heavily the past 3 weeks on decent glass for under $1k and i kept coming up with the Viper PST and Sightron S3. PST had more features but the S3 is reported to have exceptional glass. Well, regardless of my "glass snobbery" i went with the PST 4-16x50 from SWFA and received an email saying it was backordered (screw that). I cancelled the order and found the S3 MOA and exposed turrets for a great deal from Natchez. I'm absolutely blown away by the glass in this thing as well as the "clicks". Awesome!!! The only other place I "cheaped out" on this rifle was getting MBUS instead of Troy's (which I love). The MBUS's seem fine but I'll eventually replace them.

I don't think you "cheaped out" anywhere...considering your gonna be sporting a $4k rifle give or take when its finished
wink.gif

You will love the ADM Recon mount, I'm quite the fan of ADM.

Can't wait to see some pics of the new glass and fully equipped MWS that you have been working so hard on putting together pal, I'm sure the end result will turn out stellar:)

Thanks bud.....I will try to take some actual decent pics tomorrow instead of my usual "NCstar" quality pics.
wink.gif

The glass is 15" long and will probably look a little disproportional to the gun until i put the 18" Rock on it. I know i'll get flamed for caring about looks but besides a SHTF scenario (which i feel is very possible) this particular gun is a hobby for me (Obviously, i'm in no way saying this is a hobby grade gun. I think the MoD would stongly disagree
cool.gif
)

So far, not including the future Rock barrel, I have amost exactly $4k into it.

ADM owes you some commission as well. It was your pics/reviews etc. that turned me onto them. I now have 4 ADM mounts although i went with the standard Recon instead of the X that i know you really like. No real reason since i've never used either one.

Every product you have turned me onto has been nothing short of stellar. Sorry to be copying you haha but our taste are very similar all the way down to the SD-E , KAC trigger guard and stippled Pmags. Hey, at least you'll have the Nightforce!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trident1982</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is shipping this week, can't wait to make it mine. Congrats on your pick up, I imagine you will enjoy it quite a bit:)

I would be hesitate to run that Hornady SF through yours though, it doesn't like gas guns from my understanding. If you do a quick search on here you should see a thread or two about it. Belmont had trouble with it through his EMC as well. </div></div>

Interesting... Neither my FN or 700 liked it either. I initially bought it for the 20" FN but couldn't do much with it...

Is anybody running a standard (NOT QR) screw on threaded suppressor on their LMT? If so, any issues with reliability or overgassing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any updates as to barrel makers for these?

Seems they've been out long enough... </div></div>

Pick your AR barrel, they will convert it to work in LMT MWS/MRP.

https://dbmg-llc.3dcartstores.com/LMT-Barrel-Conversions_c_12.html </div></div>

So, potentially you could call GAP and order an AR barrel in whatever caliber and then send it to DBMG to convert.

How is their turnaround?

I would say the turnaround is quite long. My Noveske conversion took a little over a month.

I used a Swr omega 300 on mine. Functioned fine, although it would loosen up rather quickly. I have since went with a aac 762sd, with a 51t muzzlebrake . Still waiting on approval

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trident1982</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Fantastic report friend-o....reading reports like that get me giddy like a schoolgirl
grin.gif

Seeing your own splash is quite important when your operation consists of you, yourself, and Irene;)

I imagine you will be banging steel in no time at 800-1000yds with that badass rifle of yours.

I have a BABC just waiting on my MWS that I received some time ago for T&E purposes on a 300blk MRP setup....since the 300blk MRP hasn't yet materialized, I'm going to put it to good use on the MWS. I got everything ready to go, I'm just missing the star of my little show.

P.S. POST SOME F**KING PICS, WHY DON'T YOU:) </div></div>

Here's your pic- you'd better be good for goodness sakes (and thanks for pointing out I shoot alone too much
wink.gif
)

LMT-MWS-HoHoHo.jpg

If you didn't have such a badass rifle, I wouldn't want to see it
wink.gif
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Shooting alone is very enjoyable for myself, the tranquility associated with being in nature alone is very therapeutic.

Mine shipped from LMT on Weds., literally any day now I should be going F**KING BONKERS!!!
grin.gif

Without reading back throught the 24 pages again, I'll take the chance of asking something for the second or third time.

I'm looking at a mounting solution for an IOR 3.5-18x50. If you're not familiar this model, it's a 35mm tube with 20-22 mils of elevation travel.

I have the MWSF with the 18' SS barrel. I suppose my question is: With standard rings (i.e. no cant) will I have enough elevation to reach the potential of the rifle/cartridge? If not, I'd like to hear some suggestions, please.

Also: As far as ring height, I know that medium rings (1/2" from top of rail to bottom of tube) will afford just enough clearance for the objective with cap, but is there any advantage to going with rings a 1/4" higher (as far as manipulating the charging handle or anything else)? I do not intend to use BUIS while scope is mounted, so I cannot see any other reason to mount the scope any higher.

DSC02520.jpg

DSC02523.jpg

DSC02518.jpg

DSC02514.jpg

DSC02509.jpg

DSC02507.jpg

DSC02508.jpg

DSC02503.jpg

I have nothing but compliments for this scope but I think it may be too big. It's a 6-24x. I'm going to be shooting up to 1k with this gun but I have good eyes and I <span style="font-style: italic">think</span> I can do it with less. I am thinking about keeping this scope for a future bolt gun (have 15 days to return it but i mounted it) and getting a 3.5-10x44. Would I have any problem shooting/seeing 12"x16" silhoueete at 1k?

Soon upgrades: 18" SS, Larue Integral Bipod and knob...

That is one awesome rifle pal, you did a really great job putting it together!!!

LMTs are really getting some play on the Hide. I thought that it was just me re LMT.

You can spend more...

Nice rifle.

You can pick one up for $2500, needs nothing really. Trigger is good enough, C.L. accuracy is really good, S.S. would be nicer, seem to run very well. There aren't too many threads about "my POS LMT...".

It's a little heavy, but it is a big mono upper. I'd run KAC metal mags., keep it compact. Get a big, fat maxi pad sling to carry the bitch. I've got a Bobro bipod on it, works sweet. Maybe it's just mine, but the best SOPMOD stock I've ever seen.
Tight, no slop.

Shoots both 168s and 177s, no problem. .mil surplus ammo is fairly cheap for shits and grins.

The U.K. troops dig them, they don't fuck around, that's a pretty solid endorsement. Some of the vids I've seen show the LMTs with 6X Acogs. No muss, no fuss, they are in the game.

Very cool.

Long time reader, finally decided to post ... wanted to add the MWS, pretty proud of it, best shooter I've owned. Still researching glass, threw on a 1-4 leatherwood for the time being. Better scope than I expected actually, but I have little experience with magnified optics.

lmt_cmr.jpg

Thanks for the compliments!!! I actually do not have a scale right now but i'll try to swing up to my uncles and get it weighed. Honestly, after reading all the complaints about the weight I was expecting the thing to pull my arms off. Once I held it in hand I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it didn't really feel that bad. Yes, it is and feels like a solid rifle but I like that. I'm probably going to put some smaller glass (not because of weight) on it but the glass thats on it now makes it look alot heavier then it really is. Like I said, I'll give you an actual weight within a couple days.

997/2man- My SOPMOD has zero slop as well. I mean ZERO!!! I love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that some earlier version of the lower or did you modify it? </div></div>Maybe you are Referring to the safety? Didn't like the ambi so I replaced it.

How she looks with the new 20" SS.

mws_20inch_parma.jpg

First group from the 20". I really shanked one so I sent another. I'm thinking I could have pulled the two lower outlyers as well but hey, there is always room for improvement.
grin.gif

175smk_100yd_varget.jpg

Took a couple more pics tonight to show the EMC/LMT, the bolts and bolt carriers.
The finish on both is very nice, the EMC is just a touch nicer. Check out the cuts on the EMC bolt carrier v the LMT. Also the length and width of the bolt carrier cut out for the hammer. The LMT bolt has a convex underside, compare to EMC.

I looked at a friends WASR(?) today. Wow. Just wow.

All of our ARs are so much better (fit/finish/ergo's/sights/optics/accuracy/etc.) than most of the AK variants. I know, two diff rifles, roles. Still, bunch of junk.

KAC/GAP/POF/Larue/LMT/Noveske/JP/and the 6 more I can't remember. Some nice rifles out there.

Take a look...
DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

The silver bolt/bcg is the EMC (the clean one!)
DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0190-1.jpg

Notice the cuts and the different profiles of the bcd's...
DSC_0195.jpg

DSC_0197-1.jpg

Here is a shot of the rest of the bcg...
DSC_0200.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg

Agree, those are some great pics:)

Your a lucky dude to own both of those rifles, certainly my favorite two 308 ARs.

The new MWS bolts have dual ejectors.

Thanks, my LMT is just over a year old, the EMC is just a couple months old. They are like kids, I love them all. I'd like to get a can for the EMC, that kettle takes at least 6 months to boil. The SN-3s works well on the LMT, well built, 10x is plenty for this rifle, for me. The EMC gets an SN-4, red JNG, 1.5-6x is gtg. Trying to keep the weight down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RG in Idaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How she looks with the new 20" SS.

mws_20inch_parma.jpg

First group from the 20". I really shanked one so I sent another. I'm thinking I could have pulled the two lower outlyers as well but hey, there is always room for improvement.
grin.gif

175smk_100yd_varget.jpg
</div></div>

What kind of velocities are you getting? Also, I would love to see a few five shot groups out of that SS barrel. My friend and I have achieved .6-.7 MOA out of a 16" CL barrel out of the back of a pickup truck with 5 shot groups using the same powder and bullets you are.

I think LMT went to a dual ejector bolt. Here is mine comparing a bad extractor cut to a good one.

bolt%20002a.jpg

What kind of velocities are you getting?

.308 FGMM 175gr. 2655fps @5000 ft. 20"SS

I also have a 20" 260 Rem barrel I hope to shoot this week with SW Ammo 139 and 142 grain bullets, It will be a while before I can chrono the 260.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lockdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What kind of velocities are you getting? Also, I would love to see a few five shot groups out of that SS barrel.
</div></div>

175smk
45gr varget, win brass, br2
OAL 2.815
2450'ASL

20" SS- MWS = 2648fps
16" chrome lined - MWS - 2498fps

I haven't really put a lot time into the 20". I went with a 10 shot group because it was developing so well as I shot.

RGinIdaho or anyone else that owns a SS barrel: I'm going to purchase the 18" SS soon and I'm curious to know if the barrel is turned down at the muzzle to accept a surefire brake? The newer 16" CL barrels are turned down and thats why the long Surefire brake in my pics was able to fit. For this brake to fit the barrel has to be slightly turned down to approximately 3" back from the muzzle. Thanks