• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

How’s the weight? Also how’s the gas?
Gas is an issue with LMT’s in general in my experience owning both lights and heavies. I’ve chosen to do aftermarket barrels and Superlative Arms adjustable gas block on each. Problem solved.
Weight is also an issue with LMT as well. Not the guns to buy if weight is a real concern. Proof barrels really help here, 3/4-1lb.

Gas is an issue with LMT’s in general in my experience owning both lights and heavies. I’ve chosen to do aftermarket barrels and Superlative Arms adjustable gas block on each. Problem solved.
Weight is also an issue with LMT as well. Not the guns to buy if weight is a real concern. Proof barrels really help here, 3/4-1lb.
Well my train of thought is that if i can keep it around 15lbs the same weight as my XM3 I’m okay with that. It would be a little frustrating to have to really work at taming the gas. Though my Mod H isn’t exactly blow back free. It’s gassy.

Having said that seeing people say they can pick up the DD5 V4 for 1800 here and there is pretty tempting. Though lmt with lw ss barrel is roughly the same weight but would require grabbing a defender H and selling the barrel.

Well my train of thought is that if i can keep it around 15lbs the same weight as my XM3 I’m okay with that. It would be a little frustrating to have to really work at taming the gas. Though my Mod H isn’t exactly blow back free. It’s gassy.

Having said that seeing people say they can pick up the DD5 V4 for 1800 here and there is pretty tempting. Though lmt with lw ss barrel is roughly the same weight but would require grabbing a defender H and selling the barrel.
It was ejecting well in front of the bench but is now a perfect 3 o'clock ejection pattern with the new gas tube. But also take into account that the SiCo Omega 300 is a high back pressure suppressor, so it affects that to an extent. Runs very smooth now. And the gas tube is an easy swap if you have a basic set of punches. Obviously, changing the gas block is an absolute no for the common person, since they are hydraulically pressed on. I actually spent the money and had a gunsmith/machinist remove one for me off of a "throwaway barrel" I bought used for cheap that showed erosion and was definitely ran on a mg (pretty sure it was an LMT test barrel, since I bought it from someone in Eldridge, IA). The gunsmith was not happy with me given the work it took to remove....

I'm not familiar with the DD platform interchangeable parts, but I paid the premium for SR compatibility. I love my LMT and it is plenty accurate with box ammo, even with me being a novice prone/bench shooter. I have a brand new 18" SS barrel that is going to get tuned solely for unsuppressed shooting eventually. I just shoot the 20" for now.

Reactions: 5RWill
I thought my factory LMT LM8 16” SS complete rifle I purchased was incredibly overgassed with a flash hider.

It must have been a high back pressure flash hider.

I purchased/installed a Black River Tactical 50:50 gas tube and it was much better.

Now I have the Superlative Arms adjustable gas block on a 6.5 CM Proof Carbon and it is a total pussy cat suppressed.

I have two 5.56 MRPs and they are overgassed also. Black River Tactical 50:50 gas tubes on three barrels for those and all is well.
BRT and SA adjustable for me too

Looking at picking up my first can for my LMT MWS 308. These are the three I'm currently looking at. Any of you have experience with any of them on your LMT's?

Diligent Defense Enticer S
Dead Air Nomad 30
SilencerCo Omega 300

Looking at picking up my first can for my LMT MWS 308. These are the three I'm currently looking at. Any of you have experience with any of them on your LMT's?

Dead Air Nomad 30
SilencerCo Omega 300
Yes, look at my previous posts and 200 yd groups with the SiCo Omega. It does well, but does increase back pressure. You will have to manage it somehow.

After about ~40+ rds the SilencerCo Omega 300 can on my LMT MWS 20"SS .308 makes the chamber look like a tar pit and started causing reliability issues. Over the last few days I have been reading through this entire thread about adj gas blocks, modified gas tubes ect... to see what others have done to address this.

The obvious answer seems to be a low back pressure can but the 273 day wait for my last can, (200 and counting for my 2nd) lends itself to the adj gas block option. Still reading but that seems to be the leading option so far.

All that aside accuracy with the can has been very good. When I do my job I am at about 1 moa with FGMM. The rifle is fairly new to me and am working on getting better with it.

HTH

After about ~40+ rds the SilencerCo Omega 300 can on my LMT MWS 20"SS .308 makes the chamber look like a tar pit and started causing reliability issues. Over the last few days I have been reading through this entire thread about adj gas blocks, modified gas tubes ect... to see what others have done to address this.

The obvious answer seems to be a low back pressure can but the 273 day wait for my last can, (200 and counting for my 2nd) lends itself to the adj gas block option. Still reading but that seems to be the leading option so far.

All that aside accuracy with the can has been very good. When I do my job I am at about 1 moa with FGMM. The rifle is fairly new to me and am working on getting better with it.

HTH
One benefit of the BRT approach is it can be done in five minutes without removing the existing gas block

I used to be of the opinion that everything gets adjustable gas blocks. In the last year or two I’ve drifted more towards simplicity and reliability over chasing the absolute smoothest setup. The brt tubes work well. I think a .082 is what worked well in my 20” with a fa carrier, h3 buffer and tubb spring both unsuppressed and with a 762rc.

You might want to try a xh buffer from slash to try to delay extraction a little. It does drag out the recoil impulse though and gives a more pronounced forward bump going back into battery.

Reactions: Faronth
16” 308 Proof. That barrel is for another MWS. This one’s getting a Bartlein 16” 308 fluted and a 22” 6.5.
NX8 4-32 (a lot of power but I really enjoy the scope, especially for the money, size, weight etc)
How’s the weight with the proof barrel

How’s the weight with the proof barrel
Made a post about it here:

Reactions: 5RWill
Would it be worth it to grab a stripped LM8 upper for $800?

Last edited:
Would it be worth it to grab a stripped LM8 upper for $800?
As long as you don’t want to run +2” gas system for 6.5. Sure why not. I have seen a few MLock 12.5” upper go for under 1k tho so keep an eye out. Especially now that the 15.3” will start shipping.

No. That price isn't good enough to justify buying it for the price alone.
I was looking and can't seem to price it at 2500 building it anyway i swing it compared to just picking up a defender. Even found a guy selling a carrier for $200. Also wish it was black. If it was $500 I would jump on it. Wonder if I could negotiate with Titan defense lol

As long as you don’t want to run +2” gas system for 6.5. Sure why not. I have seen a few MLock 12.5” upper go for under 1k tho so keep an eye out. Especially now that the 15.3” will start shipping.

Yeah I don't think I would. Longest I'd go on this setup would be an 18" creedmoor.

Dead Air Nomad 30
SilencerCo Omega 300
I bought two Nomad 30's and I am very impressed and I have owned a lot of cans. Its not too big or heavy and its hush hush enough.

PB

What would y’all recommend for bipod in a 20” 6.5 with the 15.3” upper? Currently between the TBAC and one of the accutacs, and leaning towards the tbac because of its focus on quick deployment and adjustment, but I don’t know much about the accutacs.

What would y’all recommend for bipod in a 20” 6.5 with the 15.3” upper? Currently between the TBAC and one of the accutacs, and leaning towards the tbac because of its focus on quick deployment and adjustment, but I don’t know much about the accutacs.
TBAC is also one of the lightest bipods out there. Expensive but an excellent bipod. I love mine. And when i would use it on my mk12 it was extremely stable compared to my Harris. Not that the Harris isn’t but you just create a lower center of gravity and wider footprint with the TBAC.

Last edited:
Atlas is my goto. I just sold my 3 KAC bipods because I like Atlas best and they brought a small fortune. I just saw the TBAC for the first time, it looks good but for those in the know, what is better about it vs Atlas. Just grabbed one of the Atlas CA versions, still checking it out.

PB

Reactions: Hksigfn
Atlas is my goto. I just sold my 3 KAC bipods because I like Atlas best and they brought a small fortune. I just saw the TBAC for the first time, it looks good but for those in the know, what is better about it vs Atlas. Just grabbed one of the Atlas CA versions, still checking it out.

PB
Deployment. Hands down. Came from an atlas psr and CAL. I obviously can’t afford to have TBACs everywhere (hence my reason for having one TBAC and a bunch of Harris) but deploying the two is no comparison. The TBAC offers enough versatility that i don’t really find any drawbacks other than the price.

Reactions: Hksigfn
This looks to still be available
PMd him, it sold unfortunately. Probably a good thing so i don’t impulse buy
I would genuinely be interested in what makes that contract LMT “better” than an SP10M. The SP10M beat everything on the market out for the USASOC contract.

I have no idea. I didn’t know the sp10 was in trials that’s awesome.

D355F964-1D0E-4935-B644-AB717FBA42A7.jpeg

13.5 w Nox p&w by D Wilson. Def need some more practice getting use to the auto loader precision game. Get some great 5 shot under MOA groups then some 2 MOA groups with IMI 175.

Tried some reloads with 178 eldx and W 748 since I had tons on hand and the results were horrendous. Only have a touch of Varget left, so will try a standard Varget load and see if the 178s have any potential.

Trying my hardest to resist the 6.5 MRGG barrel in stock, but I’m guessing the availability of those is going to be few and far between so may pull the trigger.

I would genuinely be interested in what makes that contract LMT “better” than an SP10M. The SP10M beat everything on the market out for the USASOC contract.

A few things from my experience, in that picture, that wasn’t a MRGG trial/submission rifle. That fde rifle features the 15.5” fde upper and won the contract for the Swiss special forces, thus making it a “contract rifle”. The mrgg submission for the USA featured many unique things and had a distinct 15” upper and a lmt first forward assist. It also has a few very special barrels with timed gas ports that were optimized for specific cartridges.

No disrespect to the SP10M but I’d take the LMT all day between the two. I think what makes it “better” is up to the end user, but the lmt design for sure has advantages in upper rigidity, bcg design and quick barrel change capabilities. As we all know contract selection has many variables too that aren’t always the rifle’s performance (ie: cost per unit, company relationships, production times, etc).

Sp10 and m version are still nice, just depends what features you’re after in my opinion.

Last edited:
A few things from my experience, in that picture, that wasn’t a MRGG trial/submission rifle. That fde rifle features the 15.5” fde upper and won the contract for the Swiss special forces, thus making it a “contract rifle”. The mrgg submission for the USA featured many unique things and had a distinct 15” upper and a lmt first forward assist. It also has a few very special barrels with timed gas ports that were optimized for specific cartridges.

No disrespect to the SP10M but I’d take the LMT all day between the two. I think what makes it “better” is up to the end user, but the lmt design for sure has advantages in upper rigidity, bcg design and quick barrel change capabilities. As we all know contract selection has many variables too that aren’t always the rifle’s performance (ie: cost per unit, company relationships, production times, etc).

Sp10 and m version are still nice, just depends what features you’re after in my opinion.
The one in the insta pic definitely isn't from the MRGG trial. @TangoSierra916 is correct in saying that the pictured 15.5" variant with no FA was for the Swiss. This pic shows one of the MRGG submitted uppers (shorter rail, additional milling around barrel extension area, FA):

8ycay2j72m0a1 copy.jpg

I have the "Swiss contract version" as pictured in the insta post and am currently building out an SP10 to compare. Really curious to see what I enjoy shooting more. I wish the SP10 handguard had more Mlok slots like the MWS, but I enjoy the natively flat bottom and the main interest was in an overall reduced weight versus the MWS, along with additional barrel compatibility. D Wilson has noted previously that despite additional milling of the handguard, the ultimate cause of weight with the MWS is the proprietary barrel extension which is chunky as fuck.

I might be crucified for saying this in an LMT thread, but it's also nice that the machining and alignment on my Seekins parts look like they were done by a professional machinist, versus the slightly crooked barrel tube on my MWS and rough tooling marks around some edges. No, it doesn't affect function but given the price tag, the attention to detail is appreciated.

Last edited:
@TangoSierra916 I never mentioned MRGG. The MRGG program was killed and no contract awarded. My understanding is the MRGG trials was down to Larue and one other before it was halted.

My reference was to the USASOC procured SP10Ms that are currently in the hands of our warfighters. Seekins beat out KAC, LMT, Larue, and probably some others.

As far as LMT features while the quick change barrel is nice, I no longer view it as a benefit. The barrel extension isn’t readily available making it a PITA to get a custom barrel spun up. Misery custom and DWilson do conversions, but they need a sacrificial barrel for the extension. I think DWilson did a limited run of extensions. This feature for the most part prevents you from being able to go with any other blank mfgs like a Bartlien, Krieger, Proof, or Douglas.

Another feature is a single piece upper with two set screws and clamp for quick change barrels. Barrett has had this same design crack on the MK22’s.

I agree with @overmatch on the machining comment. The LMT MWS MLOK upper I had left a lot to be desired in terms of machining.

I guess my original comments were more geared towards a DMR. I view the LMTs as more of a battle rifle and SP10’s as a DMR.

This is a LMT thread, I’ll bow out now as no need to derail further, carry on.

Reactions: overmatch
@blbennett1288 only thing I’ll add is David Wilson doesn’t need a sacrificial barrel extension. He is making them himself. Can send him any ar10 barrel and he’ll put an extension on it.

@blbennett1288 only thing I’ll add is David Wilson doesn’t need a sacrificial barrel extension. He is making them himself. Can send him any ar10 barrel and he’ll put an extension on it.
Not quite. With the mrp and mws he adds a sleeve to the barrel and machines to match a factory Lmt extension. The only thing you don’t get vs a factory extension is the gas tube support eyelet.

Not quite. With the mrp and mws he adds a sleeve to the barrel and machines to match a factory Lmt extension. The only thing you don’t get vs a factory extension is the gas tube support eyelet.
That’s what I meant. I wrote barrel extension and should have written sleeve. You worded it right.

@TangoSierra916 I never mentioned MRGG. The MRGG program was killed and no contract awarded. My understanding is the MRGG trials was down to Larue and one other before it was halted.

My reference was to the USASOC procured SP10Ms that are currently in the hands of our warfighters. Seekins beat out KAC, LMT, Larue, and probably some others.

As far as LMT features while the quick change barrel is nice, I no longer view it as a benefit. The barrel extension isn’t readily available making it a PITA to get a custom barrel spun up. Misery custom and DWilson do conversions, but they need a sacrificial barrel for the extension. I think DWilson did a limited run of extensions. This feature for the most part prevents you from being able to go with any other blank mfgs like a Bartlien, Krieger, Proof, or Douglas.

Another feature is a single piece upper with two set screws and clamp for quick change barrels. Barrett has had this same design crack on the MK22’s.

I agree with @overmatch on the machining comment. The LMT MWS MLOK upper I had left a lot to be desired in terms of machining.

I guess my original comments were more geared towards a DMR. I view the LMTs as more of a battle rifle and SP10’s as a DMR.

This is a LMT thread, I’ll bow out now as no need to derail further, carry on.
The quick change barrel system isn't so quick change for any Mlok uppers FYI. All mounted hardware in Mlok slots has to be removed before there's enough clearance for the barrel to be removed... In my case that includes a picatinny section for tripod, picatinny section for bipod, and picatinny section for laser. Non-issue for those shooting without any attachments, but worth mentioning before someone thinks the barrel is truly 2 bolts away from being swapped.

^^ right. That’s what I like about the old style lm8? Upper. Don’t need to remove anything.

Reactions: Jsp556
You need to sand/file down the mlok nuts and backers. I've got a 419 arca rail on the bottom of my MWS and I can switch barrels without having to remove anything.
I have to do this with any rifle/rail to clear the gas block. Not sure why Magpul thinks we need .5” long screws.

Reactions: Jsp556
You need to sand/file down the mlok nuts and backers. I've got a 419 arca rail on the bottom of my MWS and I can switch barrels without having to remove anything.
Great to know. To clarify, besides sanding the (extremely long) screws, you're saying to thin out the actual backing plate as well? If someone came out with "Mlok-Slim" I imagine there would be significant demand.

Great to know. To clarify, besides sanding the (extremely long) screws, you're saying to thin out the actual backing plate as well? If someone came out with "Mlok-Slim" I imagine there would be significant demand.
Just trim the screws so they’re flush with t nut when installed. I’d be hesitant to take much if any off the nuts. What I think could fill a niche is a flat bar that could be inserted from inside the rail for mlock to thread into. If you use the whole mlock slot to clamp it could be quite a bit thinner. Wouldnt necessarily work if you split two slots though.

Confirmed, I had to file a little off the backing plate in addition to the screws.

It was a labor of love. I started by filing the screws flush and then tried to insert/remove the barrel. When that didn't work I simply continued to file down the backing plate and screw until I was able to pull the barrel without having to remove the arca plate. Once I was able to do that, I used some blue loctite on the mlok screw and backing plate, everything has been holding together really well, it's quite sturdy. I had to remove more from the backing plate close to the barrel extension and virtually nothing from the backing plate close to the barrel.

Just trim the screws so they’re flush with t nut when installed. I’d be hesitant to take much if any off the nuts. What I think could fill a niche is a flat bar that could be inserted from inside the rail for mlock to thread into. If you use the whole mlock slot to clamp it could be quite a bit thinner. Wouldnt necessarily work if you split two slots though.
@Thorbeast confirmed as well - when I tried sanding just the screws, the Mlok backers were still too protruding to allow for barrel clearance. Interesting idea for a flat continuing bar.

3F166C91-F2C1-459F-AEA2-C090F92B6C71.jpeg

Huad ot her fo a pimp!
2x 15.3”s! Now the decision to keep both or not. Any one know who can Ceracoat LMT lowers including the safe and fire logos on a lower?? I know there’s someone that does it.

Reactions: Rockworx
Nice! I have both as well. Black is 16" .308 and FDE will be 20" 6.5. DOD cerakotes to match the LMT FDE I believe. I'm going to wait for a FDE lower drop.