• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Everyone’s uses and requirements are different that said the LMT has been known to be a little over-gassed to improve reliability. Look for a low back-pressure silencer. I just bought a Sandman S, hopefully🤞it will run stock with the OEM H3 buffer without having to run an adjustable gas block or a smaller aperture gas tube.
I have a Sandman-S on my 14" MWS with an H3. Ejection was straight forward with the can on. It was like a 12:30 pattern. I put a BRT 50/50 tube on and it is MUCH MUCH better now.

Reactions: PearlWhiteGT
I've been really considering getting a suppressor (my first one) for my LMT 308 MWS Gen 1 but was told that they are way over gassed from the get go. If this is true what are the best ways to fix that and what suppressors would be best to go with? This rifle is mainly used for deer and hog hunting. Any advice would be much appreciated.

ET4Z1cg.jpg

If you do, I have an OSS for my LMT I've been very happy with the lack of gas in my face.

Reactions: PearlWhiteGT
I've been really considering getting a suppressor (my first one) for my LMT 308 MWS Gen 1 but was told that they are way over gassed from the get go. If this is true what are the best ways to fix that and what suppressors would be best to go with? This rifle is mainly used for deer and hog hunting. Any advice would be much appreciated.

ET4Z1cg.jpg
The OSS cans are great for reducing gas, but the BRT tubes work very well. I run Sig 762 TI cans, BRT tubes and work very well.

PB

What’s your preferred ammo choice with the LMT 308 for hunting non suppressed? I’ve been using some 150gr American Whitetail for the last few years and debating on trying something different.

I bought a bunch of federal 180gr power shock a few years ago when someone was blowing it out for $9 a box. Thumps pigs pretty hard and runs fine suppressed or not in 13.5 and 16” barrels. Bc is terrible but it actually groups about 1-1.25moa usually

12816267-A530-4C62-8884-88ADFFD62A46.jpeg
2E3F2FEF-476D-4D36-A9E1-EACB7727FDB0.jpeg

I have a 16" SS LMT MWS, H3 LMT buffer and spring / Surefire Socom RC2 and it has ran absolutely flawless, interestingly enough I threw in my Slash XH buffer and spring combo from my custom SLR (Criterion barrel + JP full mass BCG) and it still ran fine but felt more of a rough impulse in terms of recoil (only the LMT MWS remains out of FN Scar17 / SLR / SAI M1A Socom - 308 blasters)

probably the last gun I would ever sell, look forward to picking up a 13.5 pin weld warcomp barrel from D.Wilson soon enough
8872C710-6255-4545-8199-E062D1F04A28.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a bunch of federal 180gr power shock a few years ago when someone was blowing it out for $9 a box. Thumps pigs pretty hard and runs fine suppressed or not in 13.5 and 16” barrels. Bc is terrible but it actually groups about 1-1.25moa usually
Thanks, I'm considering trying out some 165gr and 180gr Federal Premium Vital-Shok. It's about $2.50 per round though. Almost twice as expensive as what I have been hunting with for the last few years.

I’ve wanted an AR10/ sr25 type rifle for several years now and think I’m about ready to start shopping around. What is the best rout to take for finding an LMT? I don’t mind getting on waiting lists and waiting it out as I’m not in any hurry. Are there specific dealers that seem to get stock in more regularly?

The secondhand market and a lil patience are your friends. Fuck prepaying for something with no idea of the delivery date.

Half the time dealers just post their stuff on gunjoker. I’ve seen them post in demand items on there while customers had prepaid for the same items and were on wait lists. Titan and V1 seem to do it the most.

I’ve wanted an AR10/ sr25 type rifle for several years now and think I’m about ready to start shopping around. What is the best rout to take for finding an LMT? I don’t mind getting on waiting lists and waiting it out as I’m not in any hurry. Are there specific dealers that seem to get stock in more regularly?
Boss Firearms Company and Big Tex Ordnance. Gunbroker has a regular offering of new and used LMT stuff, too.

Reactions: ARKEMAXUS
I agree with @Jsp556 , Gunbroker, the px here or arf com. Or you can go v1 tactical that just started hosting auctions for items but then tells you they’re out of stock lol. Boss firearms and BTO are solid as well.

I’m actually heading to the range today to see if the KRG R30K eliminates the need for the BRT tubes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jsp556
On another tangent… Does anybody know if boss or anybody else is going to make another series of LMT MWS Proof of Carbon Fiber barrels?

Reactions: RickyRodney
Just get on the notification lists. Seems like parts come in stock more often than complete rifles. It seems to rotate in batches for what they manufacture. I snagged a 6.5 DMR a few months ago from Titan. They sold out in about a week and haven’t seen them return in stock since.

So if it’s something you want, better jump on it right away. Some stuff is more sought after than others.

NF ATACR 4-16x42 or Leupold MK5 3.6-18X44? Sigh, I can't make up my mind. Still have to wait for the XMAS bonus and hopefully I don't come home with a dog named Santa's Little Helper.

pewpew1-5.jpg

Reactions: Snapper314
NF ATACR 4-16x42 or Leupold MK5 3.6-18X44? Sigh, I can't make up my mind. Still have to wait for the XMAS bonus and hopefully I don't come home with a dog named Santa's Little Helper.

View attachment 7948811
I think if your going to keep a 16” barrel you can’t beat the ATACR for size and weight. I’m running more magnification (old eyes 🙄) with a 20” 6.5CM barrel.

View attachment 7948811
Both have good and bad. Glass is great on both. Had a 3.6-18 with a t3 for a bit. For me it came down to loving the mil-xt and elevation turret for me. I don’t care for the reticle choices in the mk5. If they offered an illuminated pr2 that might change.

I think if your going to keep a 16” barrel you can’t beat the ATACR for size and weight. I’m running more magnification (old eyes 🙄) with a 20” 6.5CM barrel.
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the ACTACR as it seams like it was built for a 16" MWS platform and I plan to keep it this length. Anything longer and I start feeling like I'm building for a very specific purpose. I rarely shoot out that far due to range limits and not having enough time to get out to a park. Maybe that'll change once I start hunting again but that will still be close.

I thought about a VCOG 1-8x for a very good while due to the eye relief and durability. It can do everything I need for the range I mainly shoot but somewhere down the road I know I'll want to swap it for a 16x-18x for that extra range. I'll just add a off-set red dot, no biggie.

Reactions: brightt

View attachment 7948811
I ran a Mark 5HD 3.6-18 w H59 on mine with a 16" barrel. Going transonic between 800-1000 yds, but to 800 its a tack driver. I prefer the H-59 reticle (prefer is the operative word here). As a result, I don't really dial in, but I will note that at 18x power the 8 mil sub tension is at the very bottom of the field of view, so I tend to take longer shots at 12x instead of dialing. the Mark 5 is also a 35mm tube, so there are fewer mounting options available. Leupold has always been my go to, but I have not owned an ATACR, so I won't poo-poo them. My rec...pick the reticle you like best between them and know that you will get a great optic either way.

One more thought...You might piece one together faster than finding a whole rifle. My lower is from BTO, lower extension/spring/buffer from VTSupply, sopmod from gun broker, upper and bcg from the Hide PX, barrels from Boss and LMT direct, Lower Parts Kit from LMT direct, and Trigger group from Larue. Cant tell you if that saved money or not, but it saved time and I picked exactly what parts I wanted. MSRP for a new rifle is $3,500. IMO, $3k-3.2K for a used one on GB is about the standard (anyone else agree/disagree?). I have no personal experience with pay and wait, but I have heard horror stories about tying up serious cash and waiting forever.

One more thought...You might piece one together faster than finding a whole rifle. My lower is from BTO, lower extension/spring/buffer from VTSupply, sopmod from gun broker, upper and bcg from the Hide PX, barrels from Boss and LMT direct, Lower Parts Kit from LMT direct, and Trigger group from Larue. Cant tell you if that saved money or not, but it saved time and I picked exactly what parts I wanted. MSRP for a new rifle is $3,500. IMO, $3k-3.2K for a used one on GB is about the standard (anyone else agree/disagree?). I have no personal experience with pay and wait, but I have heard horror stories about tying up serious cash and waiting forever.

It's definitely more expensive to build than to purchase a complete rifle. It took me over a year to collect all the parts from various sources. They also definitely come in batches. It's a waiting game either way you go(build or complete). If you can find one at a trade show or local dealer that would definitely be the route I would recommend, but this is impossible in my state.

If you're building, my advice is to find and immediately purchase a BCG as soon as you see one available. This is what will/can hold everything up and is almost unobtanium status. Some poor bastard on Reddit told me he waited almost two years for his due to sheer bad luck. I'll be on the lookout for another one soon.

edit: Forgot to list the places you'll likely find parts. good luck.

v1tactical
titandefense
vtsupply
bigtexordnance

Last edited:
Reactions: t9regg
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the ACTACR as it seams like it was built for a 16" MWS platform and I plan to keep it this length. Anything longer and I start feeling like I'm building for a very specific purpose. I rarely shoot out that far due to range limits and not having enough time to get out to a park. Maybe that'll change once I start hunting again but that will still be close.

I thought about a VCOG 1-8x for a very good while due to the eye relief and durability. It can do everything I need for the range I mainly shoot but somewhere down the road I know I'll want to swap it for a 16x-18x for that extra range. I'll just add a off-set red dot, no biggie.
The ATACR is an awesome optic coupled with the right reticle. As stated above I also agree Leopold’s reticle line could use some updating. I’m a big fan of the night force MIL-XT; the Tremor 3 is also great just a bit busy for my tastes and the type of shooting I’m doing.

Dave Wilson (unclemoak) has had good deals on LMT MWS stuff in the past. Reach out to him, he can probably get you setup with something when more parts come in.

@unclemoak

if you find deals, you can build for way cheaper than new, I think I built my Mars H mws for $2400-2500?

got lower from primary arms 12% sale and some guy online was selling a complete with bcg quad upper / 16" barrel / surefire muzzle device, charging handle, magpul pro buis, rail covers, h3 buffer and spring for I think $1400

I definitely plan on hitting D Wilson up soon, for a few things, one of them being a 13.5" p/w warcomp setup

I’m in the process of putting my MWS on a diet. Here’s a link to a thread I started intended to be an informal weight comparison.

My LMT is an LM8 upper with the light contour 16” SS 308 barrel. I’m running a JP SCS setup with a Gemtech Suppressed BCG. I sent my upper over to my machinist buddy to do work on. We were trying to mimic a VSeven handguard. Below is the results. The next stop is to get it Cerakoted somewhere. Any recommendations? I will probably mock it up at least to see how much weight we lost before I send it out. I stuffed a towel in it to create some contrast for the pictures.

Attachments

• CFB750D3-CEB5-460D-868B-E957D73FE391.jpeg
    CFB750D3-CEB5-460D-868B-E957D73FE391.jpeg
    802.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 0F9F9D85-1363-416A-A5F0-A63CF9151E13.jpeg
    0F9F9D85-1363-416A-A5F0-A63CF9151E13.jpeg
    869.5 KB · Views: 140
  • B4551AD3-1221-4663-A3EE-A1D85C5CF453.jpeg
    B4551AD3-1221-4663-A3EE-A1D85C5CF453.jpeg
    903.5 KB · Views: 140
  • F3FC6FF1-ACC4-441E-9058-F1CC9AB571FF.jpeg
    F3FC6FF1-ACC4-441E-9058-F1CC9AB571FF.jpeg
    739.8 KB · Views: 132
Here's a picture of the rifle put back together. Between cutting up the handguard and swapping the BCG for a 2A Titanium adjustable BCG I lost 9.8oz. I was trying to lose a full pound but I don't think I'm going to make it. I don't want to make any sacrifices in shootability or reliability. I still might swap out the Larue mount for a set of Nightforce UL's. Still need to re-finish it too.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_6238.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6238.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 269
Reactions: FriedAss
Here's a picture of the rifle put back together. Between cutting up the handguard and swapping the BCG for a 2A Titanium adjustable BCG I lost 9.8oz. I was trying to lose a full pound but I don't think I'm going to make it. I don't want to make any sacrifices in shootability or reliability. I still might swap out the Larue mount for a set of Nightforce UL's. Still need to re-finish it too.
very nice setup, if you swapped stocks out to something like a Mission First Tactical Minimalist stock you could shave 7 ish more ounces off. Not sure if swapping stocks would impact shootability but my lightweight JP came with one and its solid.

Reactions: Thorbeast
definitely switch to the NF rings/mounts. Its free weight savings. Also... get that barrel reprofiled. Between a stock, new mount/rings and barrel profile, you probably have another 12 ounces you can save.

I bet you’d drop close to a pound of you had @unclemoak fit a proof cf barrel

Bought mine from Gunbroker last year, LMT MARS-H .308... absolutely rocks

What do you think the difference is in weight between a set of NF UL rings and the Larue I have?

How many of you guys run your MWSes in a battle rifle/CSASS/compact DMR configuration vs. a full length SASS? I kind of have doubts the extra 4-6 pounds is worth it for a SASS, especially with a suppressor on top of the weight and length, and only running .308, not 6.5 or 6mm.

How many of you guys run your MWSes in a battle rifle/CSASS/compact DMR configuration vs. a full length SASS? I kind of have doubts the extra 4-6 pounds is worth it for a SASS, especially with a suppressor on top of the weight and length, and only running .308, not 6.5 or 6mm.
I have 13.5 LW barreled upper that sits in a box mostly. I don't really like it much, but if I had to carry it in a fictitious LARP setting I'd take that over the pig that is my 20" upper.

At some point I'll get around to playing with it in different setups again.

I carried the 13.5 with an lpvo while active hunting hogs and checking cattle for a while. The weight wasn't worth it and I can get a lot more shots on target with a 5.56 gun, but it was at least doable compared to the 20". The ammo weight is a big deal too, those 25 round pmags weight alot for what they are.

Reactions: FriedAss
I basically have both setups. A 15.5” upper with 18” 6.5 and 308 barrels and a 4-16 Atacr/raptar and a 13.5lw with a 1-10 razor, flashlight and peq15. The 13.5 is still chunky but it’s bad medicine on wild pigs compared to 223.

I’m really thinking about running the 13.5 in heavy optics for a carbine match in a few months. Someone talk me into or out of ~500rds of braked 13.5 30hate over the course of 2 days. I could throw the 762mini on it but it definitely recoils a bit more.

I basically have both setups. A 15.5” upper with 18” 6.5 and 308 barrels and a 4-16 Atacr/raptar and a 13.5lw with a 1-10 razor, flashlight and peq15. The 13.5 is still chunky but it’s bad medicine on wild pigs compared to 223.

I’m really thinking about running the 13.5 in heavy optics for a carbine match in a few months. Someone talk me into or out of ~500rds of braked 13.5 30hate over the course of 2 days. I could throw the 762mini on it but it definitely recoils a bit more.
If you are doing alot of night shoots on hogs, wouldn't something like RDS make more sense vs a 1-10? Are you running a PVS-30ish set up?

Go for it. I have a Sandman K on my 13.5 and its fun.

If you are doing alot of night shoots on hogs, wouldn't something like RDS make more sense vs a 1-10? Are you running a PVS-30ish set up?

Go for it. I have a Sandman K on my 13.5 and its fun.
I throw a lwts on after dark, sometimes. To me rds are great in bright light on large or high contrast targets and for passive nv aiming. They suck in the transistion period and when trying to tell if that’s a shadow or part of a hog in the bushes across the field.

I run dots on my 200 and in guns(300blk, 11.5” 5.56, etc), the 308 has enough horsepower to reach much farther.

Reactions: GUNNER10
Nice
I throw a lwts on after dark, sometimes. To me rds are great in bright light on large or high contrast targets and for passive nv aiming. They suck in the transistion period and when trying to tell if that’s a shadow or part of a hog in the bushes across the field.

I run dots on my 200 and in guns(300blk, 11.5” 5.56, etc), the 308 has enough horsepower to reach much farther.
Nice,

Oh man... That sounds like a blast and I am not even a hunter.

My GP setup: 13.5" + LPVO + PEQ + 7.62 mini. It's jumpy off a bipod, but outstanding freehand. Slays everything from pigs to axis.
Isn't that can rated for >= 16" only?
I don't doubt I can handle it, but you might watch your mouth if you need warranty work 😂

Last edited:
Isn't that can rated for >= 16" only?
I don't doubt I can handle it, but you might watch your mouth if you need warranty work 😂

Maybe he should grab a Rugged Radiant 762. They have No Minimum Barrel Length Restrictions on 300BLK, 556, or 308!

I don’t remember ever reading about restrictions. Surefire says “optimized for 16” or longer “ not limited to.
You're totally right - my bad.
For context, I considered one (and still kinda want one) but passed bc I misread the ss marketing info.

They say "versatile enough to suppress 7.62x51 NATO (.308Win) rifles with barrels 16” or longer"

I assumed it was a blackout can restricted on 308 to 16", but I think surefire just means it's lite enough to balance on longer barrels.

They say "optimized for 14.5" on the mini 2 556, and that's certainly not limited to 14.5s.

Sorry for the confusion - I bet that's a badass little package and I'm quite jealous 😉

Dangle a pic when you get a chance.

You're totally right - my bad.
For context, I considered one (and still kinda want one) but passed bc I misread the ss marketing info.

They say "versatile enough to suppress 7.62x51 NATO (.308Win) rifles with barrels 16” or longer"

I assumed it was a blackout can restricted on 308 to 16", but I think surefire just means it's lite enough to balance on longer barrels.

They say "optimized for 14.5" on the mini 2 556, and that's certainly not limited to 14.5s.

Sorry for the confusion - I bet that's a badass little package and I'm quite jealous 😉

Dangle a pic when you get a chance.
I could be totally wrong and they don’t recommend less than 16” but it doesn’t really read that way to me. The ti and 300sps are the only ones I think they have limits on.

Idk that you’re missing out on much. I bought it for a smallish can that I could abuse on a 10.5” 5.56 and other short guns. It takes the bite out but it’s still pretty noisy.

Reactions: CaptArab
Hey guys. I'm trying to take off my barrel on a MARS-H LM8 build for the first time, the barrel budges about a 1/2 inch and then does not move at all. Any suggestions?

No rail accessories, both screws are out along with the bolt, and separated the upper/lower.