• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Anyone had success with a JP SCS and BRT gas tube combination?

I have SCS that I was going to sell, but considering playing with the 18” mws to see if I can tone down the over gassing.

Currently with the H3, it just destroys my brass

With the dual ejectors, I don’t see why they need to have that much gas, but I guess that’s a different topic
I haven’t felt the need to try the scs but I have an 18” 308 with a BRT tube, H3 buffer and tubb flatwire spring. I think it’s a .085 gas tube port and runs smooth with or without a 762rc. No damage but the dual ejector bolts just sling brass though

Reactions: Elnino31
I haven’t felt the need to try the scs but I have an 18” 308 with a BRT tube, H3 buffer and tubb flatwire spring. I think it’s a .085 gas tube port and runs smooth with or without a 762rc. No damage but the dual ejector bolts just sling brass though

Awesome, thanks.

I should have my Rc2 sometime in the next 2 months, that’s that’s good to know.

I’ll give the BRT tube and Tubbs a try.

Very happy with how my ODG MARS-H turned out with 14" SS 7.62 cut down by D. Wilson with TBAC SR brake pinned to make legal 16" total

20221201_LMT MWS MARS-H_ODG_002.jpg

20221201_LMT MWS MARS-H_ODG_003.jpg

20221201_LMT MWS MARS-H_ODG_005.jpg

20221201_LMT MWS MARS-H_ODG_006.jpg

20221201_LMT MWS MARS-H_ODG_007.jpg

20221201_LMT MWS MARS-H_ODG_008.jpg

Even works with thermal clip-on
20221201_LMT MWS MARS-H_ODG_022.jpg

I have a custom 18" Bartlein 6.5 Creedmoor MWS barrel that is painted same color as LMT, will try to get some pics with that setup soon...

I think you’re good, I never had issues with my older bcg but up to you.
Tango, I too have run my MWS guns for many years. I did have one effed up blow up but to clarify, in order to use the new springs do I need the new pins. Or can I put the springs on my old firing pins and work just fine? Sorry for the redundancy.

PB

Very happy with how my ODG MARS-H turned out with 14" SS 7.62 cut down by D. Wilson with TBAC SR brake pinned to make legal 16" total

View attachment 8026748
View attachment 8026749
View attachment 8026750
View attachment 8026751
View attachment 8026752
View attachment 8026753

Even works with thermal clip-onView attachment 8026754

I have a custom 18" Bartlein 6.5 Creedmoor MWS barrel that is painted same color as LMT, will try to get some pics with that setup soon...

That is flat out the best looking MWS I have ever seen! Very nice plan and execution on this build.

Reactions: Glassaholic

View attachment 8026748
View attachment 8026749
View attachment 8026750
View attachment 8026751
View attachment 8026752
View attachment 8026753

I am curious what your grip is. Thanks

I wonder why LMT changed the design of the firing pin... Just based on the images, I'd guess that the new firing pin has more mass. By having more mass, the likelihood of a slam-fire increases. Thus the spring was added to mitigate that.

Perhaps the new firing pin costs less to machine, even with the additional spring...

I've never had a slam-fire on my 6.5 Creedmoor 24" or .308 20" MWS with using factory Hornady, Federal and PPU match ammo. Using the old firing pin design.

ab99ee83-efbe-4c2d-bda4-b29ed6e938e3-jpeg.8025827
I broke one of the old ones. I guess that is why. Failures.

I have my LMT-MWS-HS configured with a 16" barrel (for pig hunting). I put this rifle together over about a year and a half. I was concerned about accuracy being that all the parts were made separately. I am no longer concerned.

This group (obviously my best this session) was with this load:
- New Lapua brass sized in Redding Type-S die with .002" of squeeze on the neck
- Federal GM201M primers
- Hornaday AMAX 168
- 43.0 grains of Varget.

Other groups shot with Federal Premium factory 168's, and the same load as above with Berger 168 Classic Hunter and, 168 SMK's. All 5 shot groups under 1 MOA.

Pretty pleased with the way this gun shoots considering the dot on my 10X Razor Vortex obliterates the bullseye. Might even be better with a higher powered scope.

Ballistic-X-Export-2022-12-24 17:29:26.653966.jpg

IMG_1545.jpeg

I have my LMT-MWS-HS configured with a 16" barrel (for pig hunting). I put this rifle together over about a year and a half. I was concerned about accuracy being that all the parts were made separately. I am no longer concerned.

- Federal GM201M primers
- Hornaday AMAX 168
- 43.0 grains of Varget.

Other groups shot with Federal Premium factory 168's, and the same load as above with Berger 168 Classic Hunter and, 168 SMK's. All 5 shot groups under 1 MOA.

Pretty pleased with the way this gun shoots considering the dot on my 10X Razor Vortex obliterates the bullseye. Might even be better with a higher powered scope.
What do you mean by "all the parts were made separately"? Are you saying you pieced the rifle together yourself vs. buying the rifle from factory?

What do you mean by "all the parts were made separately"? Are you saying you pieced the rifle together yourself vs. buying the rifle from factory?
Yes. Over time as parts became available, I bought them. Upper, barrel, lower, BGC, trigger were all purchased separately.

I have a MARS H in 6.5 arriving at my ffl in a few days from Titan. Very excited to finally check this rifle off my list, it’s been years in the making. A few newb questions: how good is the axle trigger compared to a Geissle? I am thinking about taking advantage of their current sale and ordering their DMR trigger. I have a SSA-E and 3gun trigger in my ar’s and absolutely love each one for its intended purpose, but if LMT has a great stock trigger I don’t need another trigger sitting in my parts bin.

Next question is what optic to run? I am really thinking about the Mark5 3-18. I envision doing primarily mid-long range shooting (500-1000yd). With the cost of 6.5cr ammo these days anything inside this ranges would be a waste. The other option I am toying with is picking up a new GenIII razor and putting that on my prs rifle and moving the genII 4.5-27 that is currently on the bolt gun to the LMT, but that optic is such a pig I am hesitant.

Also Glassaholic: that finish is beautiful. I am wanting to do both my new LMT and my MPA rifle in ODG at some point.

I have a MARS H in 6.5 arriving at my ffl in a few days from Titan. Very excited to finally check this rifle off my list, it’s been years in the making. A few newb questions: how good is the axle trigger compared to a Geissle? I am thinking about taking advantage of their current sale and ordering their DMR trigger. I have a SSA-E and 3gun trigger in my ar’s and absolutely love each one for its intended purpose, but if LMT has a great stock trigger I don’t need another trigger sitting in my parts bin.

Next question is what optic to run? I am really thinking about the Mark5 3-18. I envision doing primarily mid-long range shooting (500-1000yd). With the cost of 6.5cr ammo these days anything inside this ranges would be a waste. The other option I am toying with is picking up a new GenIII razor and putting that on my prs rifle and moving the genII 4.5-27 that is currently on the bolt gun to the LMT, but that optic is such a pig I am hesitant.

Also Glassaholic: that finish is beautiful. I am wanting to do both my new LMT and my MPA rifle in ODG at some point.
Im waiting on mine from Titan too. Have an atacr 4-16x in a UL 20moa mount waiting for it. Ive been through a few Mark 5's. Def go NF

I'd personally go with the SSAE or SSAX series from Geissele. The axle works but the Geissele is more refined feeling to me. Optics wise I'd go NF ATACR 4-16 / 4-20 or the 7-35. Lots of good options though for the platform.

Went ahead and ordered the Geissele National Match trigger, charging handle, and an apron of all things. Who was I kidding,,,I was always going to end up swapping the trigger and CH. The apron will pay for the others when I don’t ruin my clothes I was to lazy to change out of when cleaning.

The Atacr is on my radar. How forgiving is the eye box on the NF?

Reading up some of Glassaholics write ups now. What a service he has given to the community!!

I'd personally go with the SSAE or SSAX series from Geissele. The axle works but the Geissele is more refined feeling to me. Optics wise I'd go NF ATACR 4-16 / 4-20 or the 7-35. Lots of good options though for the platform.
I would agree with Tango on the triggers, the LMT is a nice trigger but it is not Geissele nice, I prefer the SSA-E but this time around grabbed the X version so we’ll see how much more I like that.

Went ahead and ordered the Geissele National Match trigger, charging handle, and an apron of all things. Who was I kidding,,,I was always going to end up swapping the trigger and CH. The apron will pay for the others when I don’t ruin my clothes I was to lazy to change out of when cleaning.

The Atacr is on my radar. How forgiving is the eye box on the NF?

Reading up some of Glassaholics write ups now. What a service he has given to the community!!
I think you’ll be happy with your choices Naples. Appreciate the comments, I certainly don’t know everything and am always learning from the good guys here and when I can like to share my knowledge.

Regarding the Leupold Mark 5, it is a decent scope that has some great traits but also has a few shortcomings. The CA and odd 35mm tube size is a downer and so is Leupold’s obscene price for illumination when all the competition offers it for little to no up charge. Outside of that, if you like the reticle options it should serve you well. NF 4-16x42 is a great choice and the Burris XTR IIIi 3.3-18 wouldn’t be a bad choice either. Here’s a review I did a few years back (since this review I have received multiple reports from reputable sources that Leupold fixed the resolution and CA issues exhibited in my copy of the scope):

Reactions: GUNNER10

If your looking for a precision trigger the Trigger Tech Diamond AR-10 dropped right in for me.

Reactions: jbonnie
I think you’ll be happy with your choices Naples. Appreciate the comments, I certainly don’t know everything and am always learning from the good guys here and when I can like to share my knowledge.

Regarding the Leupold Mark 5, it is a decent scope that has some great traits but also has a few shortcomings. The CA and odd 35mm tube size is a downer and so is Leupold’s obscene price for illumination when all the competition offers it for little to no up charge. Outside of that, if you like the reticle options it should serve you well. NF 4-16x42 is a great choice and the Burris XTR IIIi 3.3-18 wouldn’t be a bad choice either. Here’s a review I did a few years back (since this review I have received multiple reports from reputable sources that Leupold fixed the resolution and CA issues exhibited in my copy of the scope):

An observation if I may on the Mk5.

I think your reviews are awesome and a great service to the community, I have a Mk5 that I really like, and can acknowledge that Khales and NF put our a more refined optic, but one of the reason I continue to shoot Mk5's is solely based on their VIP program. While I really do love the ATACR's, the reality is that I can almost get two non illuminated Mk5 for the price of one ATACR and for as long as I have been shooting long range, I just don't use illumination and I have a bunch of guns that need optics.

I sort of view Leupolds like glocks, While one can make an argument that a STI is better than a glock in every area, the glock just sort or works despite all of it short comings.

Just my observation on the if once has access to the vip program, retail to retail, I agree with your assesment.

LMT still strong and running? I just picked up a LMT MWS in .308 and a 5.56 Defender 2000. My first LMT's I also picked up a LaRue predatobr and a sig 716DMR piston rife.in AZ if there are any fans

Attachments

• 20221231_213124.jpg
    20221231_213124.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 189
  • 20221228_170146.jpg
    20221228_170146.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 20221228_170251.jpg
    20221228_170251.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 177

View attachment 8026748
View attachment 8026749
View attachment 8026750
View attachment 8026751
View attachment 8026752
View attachment 8026753

That turned out awesome.

I really like shorter 308 barrels, especially if you don't have super long sight lines to mess around with. I want to grab one of the new 14.5" inch 6.5CM barrels. That could be fun.

Reactions: Jsp556
Ordered both the 1x10 and 6x36 genIII optics from Scott. His sale prices were just too darn good, plus I’ve had nothing but great experiences with vortex, and their customer service. Will slap the lpvo on the LMT. I think it will work well for what I plan to use it for, and I will use the other on my bolt gun, or may pick up a precision 22lr.

I plan on running my Sandman-S with keymo brake on it. What can setups are you guys having success with minimal poi shift?

Reactions: GUNNER10
Ordered both the 1x10 and 6x36 genIII optics from Scott. His sale prices were just too darn good, plus I’ve had nothing but great experiences with vortex, and their customer service. Will slap the lpvo on the LMT. I think it will work well for what I plan to use it for, and I will use the other on my bolt gun, or may pick up a precision 22lr.

I plan on running my Sandman-S with keymo brake on it. What can setups are you guys having success with minimal poi shift?
who is scott?

Going to take the flash hider off a 16” ss 308 barrel to put my sr mount on. Does anyone know if it’s rocksett or loctite?

Anyone with an 18” stainless 308 that’s been cut to 16.1” have any reliability issues while shooting unsupressed? Just wondering if I need the gas port adjusted before I send it out to be cut. Thanks for anyone sharing their experiences.

Going to take the flash hider off a 16” ss 308 barrel to put my sr mount on. Does anyone know if it’s rocksett or loctite?
I can’t remember but it came off easily enough. I pinched the rifle between my knees and the wrench broke the seal easily enough. I don’t even think I had to use a rubber mallet on the wrench if I recall correctly.

Reactions: Faronth

- Federal GM201M primers
- Hornaday AMAX 168
- 43.0 grains of Varget.

View attachment 8030410
View attachment 8030411
Nice groups, I too have had good luck with 168’s. Also, a little better luck with 168’s over 175’s but that just might be the reloading. But factory 168’s have done well from TAP & FGGM so …well done.

PB