• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Re: LMT .308 MWS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyclops24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anyone else have nicks and scratches on their MWS's? Both rifles I looked at when I bought mine had them. Mine had one deep gouge on the right side magwell. I decided to just buy it anyway since I was getting it at a steal and once I got home I used Birchwood Casey black paint pen to cover it. Note that both rifles were not on the dealer shelf where the could be handled. He had them in the backroom, in the plastic, in the box with no sights installed on them. </div></div>

Sights were installed on mine as well as the badger 22MOA riser from the factory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Aryan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$2175 is well below dealer cost on a F model.

I ran my MWS-E through some EAG drills on Friday and have noticed that while recoil is manageable, the follow-up in a hammer drill is hard to place if your form or stance are off in even the smallest degree. Additionally, the trigger reset of the LMT two-stage relative to the SSA I run in my AR15 carbines has room for improvement. The ergo grip plug is irritating as it gets knocked out by recoil after just a couple rounds. Switched to a MOE without anything in the grip core. <span style="font-weight: bold">Lastly, the SOPMOD locks up REALLY tightly on the extension however the adjustment lever is a dealbreaker.</span> I swapped it out for an ACS which had the benefit of adding a few more ounces to the rear end to help balance the front-heavy rifle. </div></div>
I noticed that on mine as well. When I was prepping it to paint I sprayed the whole gun with carb cleaner and the buffer tube had some grey stuff on it that smeared off. Once I removed all of that it was black underneath and slick. My ACS moves much better back and forward now. I also swapped the ERGO out for the MIAD. Much better. All I need is a Gisselle trigger and I will be set! It sucks my Wilson TTU doesnt work in it. </div></div>

That grey stuff was the dry film lube that LMT receiver extensions feature. I'm putting an SSA in one of mine as I like the slightly heavier pull compared to the SSA-E. </div></div>
I figured thats what it was. Once it started smearing I had to strip it for the paint to look right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyclops24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anyone else have nicks and scratches on their MWS's? Both rifles I looked at when I bought mine had them. Mine had one deep gouge on the right side magwell. I decided to just buy it anyway since I was getting it at a steal and once I got home I used Birchwood Casey black paint pen to cover it. Note that both rifles were not on the dealer shelf where the could be handled. He had them in the backroom, in the plastic, in the box with no sights installed on them. </div></div>

Both of mine had handling marks which I've come to expect from LMT products. One of the uppers had marks where the scope was mounted for their accuracy testing and I was given a return number. It was fixed and back in my hands in a week and that includes four days in transit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyclops24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anyone else have nicks and scratches on their MWS's? Both rifles I looked at when I bought mine had them. Mine had one deep gouge on the right side magwell. I decided to just buy it anyway since I was getting it at a steal and once I got home I used Birchwood Casey black paint pen to cover it. Note that both rifles were not on the dealer shelf where the could be handled. He had them in the backroom, in the plastic, in the box with no sights installed on them. </div></div>

Both of mine had handling marks which I've come to expect from LMT products. One of the uppers had marks where the scope was mounted for their accuracy testing and I was given a return number. It was fixed and back in my hands in a week and that includes four days in transit</div></div>

You would think at $3k they would take extra care not to scratch them. Everyone says how poor Colt's finish is but my 6940 is perfect without a single mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyclops24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyclops24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anyone else have nicks and scratches on their MWS's? Both rifles I looked at when I bought mine had them. Mine had one deep gouge on the right side magwell. I decided to just buy it anyway since I was getting it at a steal and once I got home I used Birchwood Casey black paint pen to cover it. Note that both rifles were not on the dealer shelf where the could be handled. He had them in the backroom, in the plastic, in the box with no sights installed on them. </div></div>

Both of mine had handling marks which I've come to expect from LMT products. One of the uppers had marks where the scope was mounted for their accuracy testing and I was given a return number. It was fixed and back in my hands in a week and that includes four days in transit</div></div>

You would think at $3k they would take extra care not to scratch them. Everyone says how poor Colt's finish is but my 6940 is perfect without a single mark.</div></div>

I suppose but for me, as long as bare metal isn't showing, it doesn't matter to me. I'm hard on my guns and they pick up character marks quickly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyclops24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyclops24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anyone else have nicks and scratches on their MWS's? Both rifles I looked at when I bought mine had them. Mine had one deep gouge on the right side magwell. I decided to just buy it anyway since I was getting it at a steal and once I got home I used Birchwood Casey black paint pen to cover it. Note that both rifles were not on the dealer shelf where the could be handled. He had them in the backroom, in the plastic, in the box with no sights installed on them. </div></div>

You would think at $3k they would take extra care not to scratch them. Everyone says how poor Colt's finish is but my 6940 is perfect without a single mark.</div></div>

I suppose but for me, as long as bare metal isn't showing, it doesn't matter to me. I'm hard on my guns and they pick up character marks quickly.</div></div>

This was down to the bare metal. Deep gouge. Everything I own has a scratch but I baby my collection. I know eventually through handling, shooting and cleaning they'll pick up some little marks. But coming new out of the box, I expect it to be in perfect shape. It is barely noticeable now that I touched it up and considering I got it at a $700-800 discount, I am not going to lose sleep over it.

Also my sights came in two white boxes with numbers and letters hand written on them. There were not on the gun when shipped.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your experience and knowledge. You have been most helpful. My working girl and her sisters:
P1000428.jpg

P1000427.jpg

P1000418.jpg

Her sisters =
P1000440.jpg

LMT LM308MWS 16” CLB
Magpul PRS .308
Troy Di-Optic Rear & Troy M4 Style Front
Konus Pro M30 on an AMD Scout S30 Mount
Harris Bipod 9 – 13” LM-S w/LaRue LT706 QD Swivel Mount Combo

On the way:
EOTech M552.XR308
DM Premium Optics 4X Magnifier (DM/Samson QUICKFLIP Mount) (SCP561)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the folks that have swapped muzzle devices, what method did you use to hold the barrel? </div></div>

Tried the pws and jp tactical. The jp is less recoil but has more snap the pws has a softer push but more of it. Either would be a good choice with the pws being smaller.

I think I would have have a hard time walking out knowing I was stealing from the shop. It was clearly a mistake and I think you know that. A small shop might have a hard time eating that mistake and now they will have to lower the price on the other to sell it. In fact you could still go back and pay the difference if you decide. 2520 for the SS barrel gun is a really good deal. I paid 2474 for my chrome. It really looks like someone entered the costs, not retail on the rifles and listed them backwards. The SS is going for 2.8-2.9k on GB.

I would have let them know they made a mistake and then decided which to buy not taken advantage of them. But thats just how I roll.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyclops24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up my LMT 308 SS yesterday. The dealer I bought it from sold it to me for $2175. He had both the chrome lined and stainless steel versions. He wanted $2520 for the chrome lined and I told him there must have been a mix up. He said he would look it up on their computer and said the only difference between the two were the barrels and if I wanted the stainless version it would be $2175 and if I wanted chrome lined it would be $2520. He even pointed on the price tag affixed to the box. I decided to not argue with him and bought the SS version <span style="font-weight: bold">as fast as I could.</span> I had been going back and forth on which barrel to get but this dealer made it very easy for me to decide.
smile.gif
</div></div>

I like my CL LMT MWS more every time I take it out. Photo was shot at 500 yards using the Super Sniper 1-4X HD set at 4X. First five are at the bottom with two just clipping the edge. I could hear the first two shots but could not see them so I shifted POA side to side thinking I'm just clipping the edge and noticed the hit on the bottom left. Using the mildot reticule and mil adjustment I made adjustments and caught the circle. The resolution of this scope allowed me to see the head clearly so I quartered it with the last four shots. The bottom photo was fired at 700 yards. Fire for five at 700 yards with a 4X scope, ya gotta love this rifle. If your setting your LMT up for CQB you owe it to yourself to wait until this scope comes out. At 1X it gives up little to a red dot (it is not parallax free) and at distance it is beautiful.

[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]

[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: claimsassassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So with the SS MWS going for around 3k, would it be prudent to get the CL one for $2300 and then just buy a SS barrel for $700? </div></div>

Get the chrome, shoot it. You may find it accurate enough. If not you can also try and sell the barrel to offset the cost of the stainless barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postal0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: claimsassassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So with the SS MWS going for around 3k, would it be prudent to get the CL one for $2300 and then just buy a SS barrel for $700? </div></div>

Get the chrome, shoot it. You may find it accurate enough. If not you can also try and sell the barrel to offset the cost of the stainless barrel. </div></div>

Sound advice. Nice sig line by the way.

I'm going to lighten this thing up a little with a 2.5-10x24 NF next week.

008-3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bc5000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to lighten this thing up a little with a 2.5-10x24 NF next week.

008-3.jpg
</div></div>
Is that an F1? I cant tell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I would have have a hard time walking out knowing I was stealing from the shop. It was clearly a mistake and I think you know that... 2520 for the SS barrel gun is a really good deal...</div></div>

People know $2520 is even below dealer for a stainless barrel.

I just walked out of a local shop that quoted me the retail price for a LMT MWS $3333. and change, even when I told them I could get one at another shop for right at 3000. for the SS version. Where are you guys getting good prices on the SS version?

I got my CL version at what seemed to be a reasonable price. It would seem demand/proce has gone up because when I got mine there were many, now I dont see many around forr sale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got my CL version at what seemed to be a reasonable price. It would seem demand/proce has gone up because when I got mine there were many, now I dont see many around forr sale.</div></div>

Agreed. There aren't quite as many popping up in the usual places and it seems the asking prices for those that are available are a little closer to MSRP than a few months ago.

how are these taking polymer tipped rounds like the amax? seems i saw somewhere that kevin said the KAC didn't like them(maybe the tips broke off and could get jammed in the fcg or something). Anyone else see that or have a comment? through the pmags is really my question. thanks

I was at Double Action the other day and looked at the gun. The salesman told me it was a piston gun just like the REPR and that they would be getting the 18in in soon. I rushed home and called LMT and of course they told me thaey did not have a piston 308 yet. They are going to take a survey at the shot show to see if there is any real interest.

Where's the best deals on these units (.308 MWS new or used)? I might try and sell one of my rifles here soon to pick one up....

thanks for the heads up gents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DoubleBarrel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how are these taking polymer tipped rounds like the amax? seems i saw somewhere that kevin said the KAC didn't like them(maybe the tips broke off and could get jammed in the fcg or something). Anyone else see that or have a comment? through the pmags is really my question. thanks </div></div>

All of my handloads have been with the 168 AMAX and the 178 AMAX. So far, they have shot great with both. I took the 168s out to 600 on steel and ~~700 on rocks.

I havent found my best load yet and I havent shot since september. I should be able to load up some more 178s soon and see how they do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where's the best deals on these units (.308 MWS new or used)? I might try and sell one of my rifles here soon to pick one up....

</div></div>

There are a couple new ones on Gunbroker for $2200. I don't think you'll find them much cheaper then that for NIB.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bc5000</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where's the best deals on these units (.308 MWS new or used)? I might try and sell one of my rifles here soon to pick one up....

</div></div>

There are a couple new ones on Gunbroker for $2200. I don't think you'll find them much cheaper then that for NIB. </div></div>

That is an excellent price. The best I have seen is Bud's Gun Shop for $2300

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411543311

Good luck

Got the NF 2.5-10x24 installed. This is all I really need in the way of optics for this gun.

IMG_0927.jpg

which is the preferred barrel on these ss or cm? advantages? do they both use the same gas system, thought i read somewhere the ss had a diff length gas system. thanks

I haven't seen any range reports on the stainless steel but the reports on the CL barrels seem to be so good that is seems nobody is rushing to change them out. I haven't had a chance to do accuracy work yet but if I get under MOA I won't change for a while, if its a solid .75 MOA I may never change. The CL looks like it will take a lot of work to wear it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Re25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't seen any range reports on the stainless steel but the reports on the CL barrels seem to be so good that is seems nobody is rushing to change them out. I haven't had a chance to do accuracy work yet but if I get under MOA I won't change for a while, if its a solid .75 MOA I may never change. The CL looks like it will take a lot of work to wear it out. </div></div>
just wondering which one would be the best to buy new. and why

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Aryan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$2175 is well below dealer cost on a F model.

I ran my MWS-E through some EAG drills on Friday and have noticed that while recoil is manageable, the follow-up in a hammer drill is hard to place if your form or stance are off in even the smallest degree. Additionally, the trigger reset of the LMT two-stage relative to the SSA I run in my AR15 carbines has room for improvement. The ergo grip plug is irritating as it gets knocked out by recoil after just a couple rounds. Switched to a MOE without anything in the grip core. <span style="font-weight: bold">Lastly, the SOPMOD locks up REALLY tightly on the extension however the adjustment lever is a dealbreaker.</span> I swapped it out for an ACS which had the benefit of adding a few more ounces to the rear end to help balance the front-heavy rifle. </div></div>
I noticed that on mine as well. When I was prepping it to paint I sprayed the whole gun with carb cleaner and the buffer tube had some grey stuff on it that smeared off. Once I removed all of that it was black underneath and slick. My ACS moves much better back and forward now. I also swapped the ERGO out for the MIAD. Much better. All I need is a Gisselle trigger and I will be set! It sucks my Wilson TTU doesnt work in it. </div></div>
My Wilson TTU works perfect on my MWS, mine has the 1st Gen BCG,,,yours?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Aryan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$2175 is well below dealer cost on a F model.

My Wilson TTU works perfect on my MWS, mine has the 1st Gen BCG,,,yours? </div></div>
Mine is the one with the flutes in the bottom so I thing it is second gen. It defiantly doesn't work. If I hold the trigger down the hammer will follow the bcg down. If I let off the trigger and then rack the bolt back it will reset.

I didn't steal anything. I paid $2316 out the door for my rifle. Re-read my post, I told the guy he had to have made a mistake and he checked it on the computer and also looked up the differences between the two models. I was there for at least 30 min prior to even telling him I would take it. When I told him that he made a mistake he became annoyed like I was telling him how to run his business. He said the price was correct and to pick one as he'd be happy to sell either cause he's had them for awhile and walked away to help someone else. There was a second guy waiting on me with him who owned a MRP so he knew what LMT was. So get off your high horse. I'll be damned if I am going to fight with someone over price after I was nice enough to point out the mistake and drove 90 min to look at the rifle. You are making it sound like I went in and tricked this guy into selling me the SS for cheap. This guy had great prices on everything he had. It was a large shop and I was really impressed. I have seen CLs for $2150-2200 and SS for $2700-3k just check GB and GA.

And what about when the tables are turned and the dealers are gouging and charging way over retail for a rifle? When the Remmy 700P 338 Lapua's came out just about everyone was charging $1650-1800 for them. I got mine at that time for $1083 shipped. Did I steal that to since market price was much higher?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I would have have a hard time walking out knowing I was stealing from the shop. It was clearly a mistake and I think you know that. A small shop might have a hard time eating that mistake and now they will have to lower the price on the other to sell it. In fact you could still go back and pay the difference if you decide. 2520 for the SS barrel gun is a really good deal. I paid 2474 for my chrome. It really looks like someone entered the costs, not retail on the rifles and listed them backwards. The SS is going for 2.8-2.9k on GB.

I would have let them know they made a mistake and then decided which to buy not taken advantage of them. But thats just how I roll.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyclops24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up my LMT 308 SS yesterday. The dealer I bought it from sold it to me for $2175. He had both the chrome lined and stainless steel versions. He wanted $2520 for the chrome lined and I told him there must have been a mix up. He said he would look it up on their computer and said the only difference between the two were the barrels and if I wanted the stainless version it would be $2175 and if I wanted chrome lined it would be $2520. He even pointed on the price tag affixed to the box. I decided to not argue with him and bought the SS version <span style="font-weight: bold">as fast as I could.</span> I had been going back and forth on which barrel to get but this dealer made it very easy for me to decide.
smile.gif
</div></div> </div></div>

"I decided to not argue with him and bought the SS version <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">as fast as I could</span>.</span>"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyclops24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't steal anything. I paid $2316 out the door for my rifle. Re-read my post, I told the guy he had to have made a mistake and he checked it on the computer and also looked up the differences between the two models. I was there for at least 30 min prior to even telling him I would take it. When I told him that he made a mistake he became annoyed like I was telling him how to run his business. He said the price was correct and to pick one as he'd be happy to sell either cause he's had them for awhile and walked away to help someone else. There was a second guy waiting on me with him who owned a MRP so he knew what LMT was. So get off your high horse. I'll be damned if I am going to fight with someone over price after I was nice enough to point out the mistake and drove 90 min to look at the rifle. You are making it sound like I went in and tricked this guy into selling me the SS for cheap. This guy had great prices on everything he had. It was a large shop and I was really impressed. I have seen CLs for $2150-2200 and SS for $2700-3k just check GB and GA.

And what about when the tables are turned and the dealers are gouging and charging way over retail for a rifle? When the Remmy 700P 338 Lapua's came out just about everyone was charging $1650-1800 for them. I got mine at that time for $1083 shipped. Did I steal that to since market price was much higher?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I would have have a hard time walking out knowing I was stealing from the shop. It was clearly a mistake and I think you know that. A small shop might have a hard time eating that mistake and now they will have to lower the price on the other to sell it. In fact you could still go back and pay the difference if you decide. 2520 for the SS barrel gun is a really good deal. I paid 2474 for my chrome. It really looks like someone entered the costs, not retail on the rifles and listed them backwards. The SS is going for 2.8-2.9k on GB.

smile.gif
</div></div> </div></div> </div></div>[color:#FF0000][/color]

2340 w Fed GMM 175 at 60 F and 875 alt, 2450 BH 175 Match same conditions. 2470 Fed GMM 168. This rifle likes Fed GMM 175's best.

Has anyone tried of the 178gr hornady amax's out of the mws yet?

If so, whats your load?

I have one of the SS barrels on the way, will the twist in them be good to go with the 178's?

Really wish they made one with a side charging handle. I guess i'll have to settle on the REPR.

I get it, your upset I got a redic deal that was a mistake. I feel the same way when I over pay and then see or hear of someone getting the same gun I just bought way cheaper. It happens. Like I said, I was there for 30 min, once the guy didn't want to hear what I had to say, I did take the deal as fast as possible. Which included 5 mins of filling out the form, 10min doing the Insta-check and another 5 min paying for the rifle. I don't see you logic so just get over it. It is what it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I decided to not argue with him and bought the SS version <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">as fast as I could</span>.</span>"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyclops24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't steal anything. I paid $2316 out the door for my rifle. Re-read my post, I told the guy he had to have made a mistake and he checked it on the computer and also looked up the differences between the two models. I was there for at least 30 min prior to even telling him I would take it. When I told him that he made a mistake he became annoyed like I was telling him how to run his business. He said the price was correct and to pick one as he'd be happy to sell either cause he's had them for awhile and walked away to help someone else. There was a second guy waiting on me with him who owned a MRP so he knew what LMT was. So get off your high horse. I'll be damned if I am going to fight with someone over price after I was nice enough to point out the mistake and drove 90 min to look at the rifle. You are making it sound like I went in and tricked this guy into selling me the SS for cheap. This guy had great prices on everything he had. It was a large shop and I was really impressed. I have seen CLs for $2150-2200 and SS for $2700-3k just check GB and GA.

smile.gif
</div></div> </div></div> </div></div>[color:#FF0000][/color]</div></div>

How are the range reports coming from these guns with the SS and CL barrels? Have anyone else had issues with the trigger pins?