• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Re: PMags in the LMT .308 MWS??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trident1982</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrhtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 18" SS in bound and am looking to get some mags. Anyone have any issues with PMags in their LMT?
Thanks
J </div></div>

I dare you to post up some RR's on that badass new 18" your getting;)</div></div>

I have to get it first!! It's not in the mail yet, waiting impatiently.

Now dimpled with BABC
smile.gif

3.jpg

7.jpg

Re: LMT .308 MWS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now dimpled with BABC
smile.gif

3.jpg

7.jpg

</div></div>

That looks really good..! Weighs what, 9lbs unloaded now?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kbar04</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have the SS barrel:
</div></div>

Range Report ???

Did some quick testing today...rather pleased with the results.

For those joing us late this is in regards to the 13.5" CL barrel project.

First thing we did was blast off some 147gr dag ammo running double tap drills. As previously reported the BABC works as advertised great peice of gear well worth the money.

Next I ran 6 rounds of my 175gr handloads over a chrono and rough sighted the 3.5-10X Loopy MK 4 at 25yds. Elevation at home range is 360' temp was 45 degrees. Average vleocity was 2410 FPS with a spread of 28fps. Not too bad as my initial guess was that I would end up hovering at or around 2400 fps.

Moved over to 100yds, dialed in 2" from my 25yd zero and fired 2-5rnd mags to walk onto zero. This is why you should never buy an optic without matching ret and knobs! I will say I'm a bit attached to this particular loopy as its an older (MADE IN THE USA) model, otherwise I'm a blatant loopy hater lol.

Sun was going down quick so I didnt have much time to do anything impressive but I'm not dissapointed with the results.

DSC00621.jpg

5rnd group 1" (paster is covering a flyer from the sight in shots)

Shot two rapid fire (1 min limit) 10 rnd groups which were both 3" which I will confess were due to flyers caused by the Indian not the bow. I was having difficulty seeing down range as the sun was going down, I forgot my bipod so I was shooting off an improvised rest and I'm pretty sure I had some sand in my vajayjay
wink.gif
Seriously though I'm looking forward to getting back out there and getting OCD with a bipod and rear bag when I'm not racing against the sundown.

We had one FTF with the DAG ammo which I beleive was due to the hard primers, as I recall this ammo was intended for use in HK's correct? I imagine they have harder primers than LC ammo.

Overall I think this configuration has some serious potential. I picked up a Vortex SPARC yesterday from Rainer Arms and for those of you tracking weights its came out to 9.5 with the sparc.

One serious drawback I have found with this set up is the mirrage off the babc due to its proximity to the scope objective and aside from the sundown, lack of bipod and sand in vage the mirrage really hindered a clear sight picture.

So there ya go 2400fps 175 smks 1 MOA 13.5" 12lb rifle (with 10x scope and mounts).

I have not tried the 223 version. Velocity with 16" barrel was 2560, but it was a bit warmer when I chronoed the 16"

Looks like my barrel is getting replaced. I had random FTJ's (failure to eject) and they explained what role the barrel is playing in this problem. I will post more later when I get the rifle back. If you are having a random ftj issue PM me and I will explain what I was told.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like my barrel is getting replaced. I had random FTJ's (failure to eject) and they explained what role the barrel is playing in this problem. I will post more later when I get the rifle back. If you are having a random ftj issue PM me and I will explain what I was told. </div></div>

Any reason why you can't air it?

Has any one mated a Surefire SS can onto an MWS with a 16" barrel? If so how well is the package running for you?
What about the SF K can?

Any one have pics of either set up?

Bill, great looking rig. Who'd you use for the barrel work needed in order to install the SF muzzle break?

SFT

SFT - it was Gibby Custom Rifles here in GA. They build primarily BR rigs, but know their way around a lathe, etc. The turnaround was fast, pricing quite reasonable and Chris and Myles are 100% good to go.....

Bill, very nice looking rifle.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to spend the extra money and headache to make the SF-SS can work on the MWS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF Optics-Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've been running the Surefire 762SS on mine and it performs flawlessly.

Picture014.jpg
</div></div>

Outstanding sir, great to see this rifle in your hands. Look forward to any range reports you might so kind enough to share with us as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What spare parts are recommended for an MWS?

Pat </div></div>

I would be interested in this as well.

The expense to turn down the barrel the minimal amount it needs to accomodate the Surefire mount is small and removing the barrel is easy - so the biggest headache is in how long it takes your smith to turn it down for you.

As far as a range report is concerned, I have shot the piss out of this with Mk316 ammo and it has been a solid .75MOA rifle for me when I've shot it for groups. I can't ask for any better accuracy from a chrome-lined barrel. I bought this strictly because LMT was going to offer a .243 barrel and it would have been nice having a switch barrel setup in my 2 go-to calibers. Unfortunately it looks like LMT isn't going to offer a twist for any heavy .243 bullets, so it may be left as-is if all they offer is a 9 twist. I've got an OBR and a Mk11, so I really don't need another dedicated .308 gas gun.

As far as spare parts are concerned, I keep the same parts on hand that I keep for any other AR. I keep an extra complete spare bolt and that covers most of what I'll need from spare gas rings, spare extractor and ejector, etc.

NFO-Bill,

No carrier, key etc??
Did you get an LMT bolt?
I was wondering about the unique parts for the lower??? The parts that are common between the two are easy it is the 308 unique parts set that is a question. Heck I ended up with a whole new barrel
smile.gif

Pat

I am going to order a bolt with the the new 260 barrel when it comes out so that will take care of a emergency back up. I will go 20" on the .260. Probably get a firing pin too. The odd parts seem well protected exept for the bolt release. So I may get one of them.

It seems SOP with most owners of the MWS is the ACS stock, offers a good place to keep my NF batteries and feels similar to the sopmod which I really liked exept for prone. Mine is not as sexy as NF Bills but here are a couple of pics.

New upgrades in the future will be a BBAC for the 16", 260 barrel with BBAC and a NF F1 as a kit (or the new NF magic scope), KAC 600m BUIS and micro sight, Magpul MIAD grip and some low profile HG covers.
lmt2.jpg
lmt3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NFO-Bill,

No carrier, key etc??
Did you get an LMT bolt?
I was wondering about the unique parts for the lower??? The parts that are common between the two are easy it is the 308 unique parts set that is a question. Heck I ended up with a whole new barrel
smile.gif

Pat </div></div>

Pat-

I don't really worry about keeping a spare key on hand, as long as the bolts/screws are torqued and staked properly I don't worry entirely too much about this part wearing out on me.
I currently have 2 DPMS and 1 extra KAC bolt, the 3 extra bolts that I have all fit, function and headspace correctly so I never bothered getting another from LMT.
Regarding lower parts, I do have an extra SR25 bolt catch - but have found that a DPMS catch - while it doesn't look like the LMT/KAC catch, will work. Beyond the bolt catch, I don't worry about much of anything else.

I looked on LMT's website and didn't see a 308 bolt listed for sale. Are there a couple of LMT dealers on SH?

What other bolts will fit a LMT MWS? (DPMS and KAC?)

Thanks
Pat

I want a 6.5 Creedmoor...... But then I might need to spring for another gun to hold it....
I finally settled on a load for my SS .308, the exact same one that I shoot in my bolt gun. 45 gr of Varget and a 175 SMK in Win brass. It might be a tad warm, it runs about 2520fps, but shoots very well. 44 grs is MOA, but 45 is better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want a 6.5 Creedmoor...... But then I might need to spring for another gun to hold it....
I finally settled on a load for my SS .308, the exact same one that I shoot in my bolt gun. 45 gr of Varget and a 175 SMK in Win brass. It might be a tad warm, it runs about 2520fps, but shoots very well. 44 grs is MOA, but 45 is better.
</div></div>
What do you mean by better? 45 Varget is the same load I have been using (sub MOA) but it does seem a like a warm load. When I was cleaning my brass I had two missing primers, I saw no other signs and the Win brass had been reloaded 4 times. I was going to try 44.5 to make sure it was not to hot for summer. Why do you want the Creedmoor over the 260 what are the deciding factors?

Varget is really quite insensitive to temp. I use Fed 210M primers. The edges are still quite round after firing. I have run the 45 gr load for years in multiple guns.
I already have a Creedmoor bolt gun and I love the caliber. I have no desire to add another nearly identically performing caliber to my personal logistics.
Better = consistently less than MOA, including the occasional screamer group.

Ok, I found a JP Enterprises bolt that is suppose to fit a DPMS LR308. The LR308 bolt is suppose to fit a LMT MWS....has anyone tried a JP Enterprises bolt in a LMT MWS
smile.gif

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7_bc.php

Thanks
Pat

BTW I e-mailed JPE and they didn't know and only make a light weight carrier for the 308.

I finally got the 18" stainless barrel along with the Surefire FH762K5 adapter installed and go out to sight the rifle in and shoot one group. Alot of horizontal stringing (shooter error) but all in all not too bad.

P1030130.jpg

P1030129.jpg

P1030135.jpg

P1030127.jpg

Pat

MT Goat,

You've got a great looking MWS.

What type of ammo were you shooting for groups?

I sighted in with CAVIM and shot mexican match ammo for the group.
(Military Match with the mil bullet pulled and a 168gr Sierra Match King re-inserted....an old high power trick).

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I finally got the 18" stainless barrel along with the Surefire FH762K5 adapter installed and go out to sight the rifle in and shoot one group. Alot of horizontal stringing (shooter error) but all in all not too bad.

P1030130.jpg

P1030129.jpg

P1030135.jpg

P1030127.jpg

Pat </div></div>

This is f**king BEAUTIFUL....That rifle is beyond reproach. Perfect glass and mount, perfect bipod/mount. 10/10:)

What an epic debate it is b/t the x24 and x32....the x32 performance wise honestly smokes the hell outta the x24. On the other hand the x24 still has amazing performance in that little compact package. They both are beautiful aesthetically speaking, you have the flowing bell on the x32....you have the tactical compact look on the x24. Really, I could go on forever weighing pro's and con's for each.

I can say for certain I shoot my x24 ten times more than I do my x32...and every time I re pick up my x32 I am wowed by the difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Re25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im with Trident, the tan accents make the rifle. Now who wants to trade a black SOPMOD, Grip and covers for tan ones??? I may have to swap the NF 32 for the 24, That scope just looks right on the MWS.

Its good to be an American.

MtGoat who's Mag pouches are those?? </div></div>

The double mag pouch is an Eagle Industries from Triad.

Pat

I just ordered my 20" stainless .260 barrel from LMT. ETA should be June 2011, Im not holding my breath. Just as a heads up they only have 50 of them availible on the initial order and have pre-sold a few already (including mine!). Also FWIW it was substantially cheaper than the stainless 308 barrels they have on the website. If you want one I would suggest that you get ahold of Ryan at LMT ASAP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jpach</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trident1982</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jpach, what did LMT say when you told them about your off center pistol grip screw socket and the scratched up barrel?

I cannot believe that they would not at least take a look at your problems if not all together give you a RMA number and get those two areas swapped out. </div></div>

When I told them about the scratched up barrel, they said to shoot it. Luckily, it shoots great.

I didnt tell them about the pistol grip situation because that was an easy fix. Sure, it REALLY should not have been that way but as long as I was able to put that MIAD on, I was fine.

I wonder if anyone else has an off-set pistol grip screw hole on theirs </div></div>

Off set grip screw's have been common on LMT's from what I have seen. I own 3 LMT lowers (556) and 2 of them are offset enough there is a slight lip between the grip and edge of the receiver. I had an MWS and it was slightly off, too. I never bothered to send any of the lowers back just for a slightly off screw hole but its definitely something I think they could work on. Seems to be an ongoing issue for years now considering how long Ive had at least 2 of mine. Ive heard other people comment on this previously, too, on the forums.

This thread needs a part 2 it is waaaaay too long.

Getting to the bottom of the lower hole issue. The response from LMT is...

"The holes in the lower receiver measure .1577 as close as I can tell all 4 places (a .1578 minus pin will not go). This is well into the tolerance of our standard pins. The pins provided in the weapon measured .1575 and .1570."

My original email was...

"My oversize Geislee pin that is .1558 moves a bit I have to say the hole in the lmt lower is probably in the range of .1565 and not anywhere near .1553. I installed the G trigger and it came with 2 pins one was oversized for "worn" holes. I was told by LMT the hole was 1.553 yet the G trigger pin that was 1.558 slid in with no resistance."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

This last picture is my 10 shot group at 100 yards. Brand new rifle keep in mind, I cleaned the barrel prior to shooting, after the first 5 for the first box, and then I fired this 10 rounds group. I don't believe in the tedious barrel break in procedures.
m7bcr8.jpg

Shoots better then my LWRC REPR ever did....
</div></div>

Excellent shooting. Great gun.

Man.. I was hell bent on getting a new bolt but now I'm really leaning towards a MWS. Great thread.

Damn man.. we think alike.. I've got my eye on an F1 too.. Come on lottery!! Maybe March Madness can yield some luck and funds.