• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Re: LMT .308 MWS

So I bought a UBR stock but I'm having trouble getting the old buffer tube off. It looks like it's staked at least 4 times. Any advice before I do something I regret?

Wow, what a nice rifle.

My country does not allow any real steel gun so i have to deal with airsoft
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CE1371</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I bought a UBR stock but I'm having trouble getting the old buffer tube off. It looks like it's staked at least 4 times. Any advice before I do something I regret? </div></div>

You can drill the stakes out or you can hacksaw them out. I would not just use brute force to unscrew it you may dammage something very expensive. Or you could just get a Magpul ACS stock.

But if you have to have a UBR Ill buy the OEM buffer tube off you. Serious about that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CE1371</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I bought a UBR stock but I'm having trouble getting the old buffer tube off. It looks like it's staked at least 4 times. Any advice before I do something I regret? </div></div>

Just to make sure you know the MWS buffer tube is longer than a carbine tube (what the UBR uses).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Belmont31R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CE1371</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I bought a UBR stock but I'm having trouble getting the old buffer tube off. It looks like it's staked at least 4 times. Any advice before I do something I regret? </div></div>

Just to make sure you know the MWS buffer tube is longer than a carbine tube (what the UBR uses). </div></div>

If you look back a few pages I went through the same thing. All you need is a big castle nut wrench that has 3 tips. It twists right off with the bigger wrench. I posted a pic and name on an earlier post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Belmont31R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CE1371</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I bought a UBR stock but I'm having trouble getting the old buffer tube off. It looks like it's staked at least 4 times. Any advice before I do something I regret? </div></div>

Just to make sure you know the MWS buffer tube is longer than a carbine tube (what the UBR uses). </div></div>

If you look back a few pages I went through the same thing. All you need is a big castle nut wrench that has 3 tips. It twists right off with the bigger wrench. I posted a pic and name on an earlier post. </div></div>

Ive done the same thing. I use the RRA castle nut wrench which engages in 3 places. You can twist the nut past the staking. Ive never had to drill one out.

I was just mentioning the different buffer tube sizes because he would need a new buffer to work with the UBR. I think people are using the "Slash" buffer which is a shortened carbine buffer.

The UBR requires a different spring and buffer than OEM. And everything on the rifle is tight! Pins, tubes, etc. I have a tendency to break things so I was a little frustrated when working on my LMT, it all worked out though.the pins for the trigger guard were the worst.

I installed a UBR on mine. As stated, the castle nut will twist off(most likely) with a good wrench. I ordered a XH CAR-10 buffer and modified spring, and it all works great. I got the XH buffer because I intend to shoot this gun suppressed in the future, but it works fine unsuppressed, as well.

Thanks for all the advice, gents. I picked up a buffer and spring from heavybuffers and also a 3 point wrench from RRA. Now the waiting game for that stuff.

I'm keeping the old SOPMOD stock for my first AR15 build I'm working on.

OK so my rifle is back from LMT for the failure to eject. As promised I said I would explain what was wrong with the gun upon its return.

I was told by LMT that my 16" chrome barrel had a gas hole that was oversize and out of spec. The larger hole caused the BC to move rearward rapidly and faster than normal. The over-speed BC caused the brass to ricochet around in the breach area instead of ejecting which ended in a stove pipe. This problem was a random issue that seemed to happen about 1-3 times per 100 rounds. LMT replaced my barrel under warranty.

Shot this today. Shot off my pack, no rear bag. Factory loaded Hornady 168 BTHP.

10 Shots @ 100yds
1.5-6 Schmidt & Bender Short Dot (group shot on 6x)
American Defense QD mount
Magpul UBR w/Slash buffer and spring

IMG_20110316_172822.jpg

IMG_20110316_172908.jpg

IMG_20101207_203027.jpg

Respectfully,

--KJ

Great shooting KJ...that's what the hell a Rock 5R should do on paper. That's the type of accuracy that elevates these amazing rifles in a league onto themselves in s/a world.

Well, looks like I'm going to have to drill out the staking on the castle nut that is retaining the buffer tube. I bought the 3 point wrench but this sucker isn't moving anywhere. Not sure whether to be pissed with LMT over this or if I should admire them for putting so much effort into making the whole thing bullet proof.

I'll put her under the knife tomorrow.

What kind of barrel?. Is that the SS or CL?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJDrake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot this today. Shot off my pack, no rear bag. Factory loaded Hornady 168 BTHP.

10 Shots @ 100yds

IMG_20110316_172822.jpg

IMG_20110316_172908.jpg

IMG_20101207_203027.jpg

Respectfully,

--KJ </div></div>

Chrome, the SS has the gas block sticking out about 1.5 inches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KG_mauserman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of barrel?. Is that the SS or CL?

Respectfully,

--KJ </div></div>

Made it out 700yds today. Very pleased with the performance.

5 round 500yd group of 178 amax over 43.6gr varget in lc lr brass. There are five hits above the pmag, I am not covering a hit in the red as it looks in the pic:
100_1976.jpg

Video of 5 rounds at a 600yd piece of steel:
Youtube

Group of those five rounds at 600. This is 175gr smk's over 43.4gr varget:
100_1983.jpg

Finally got the buffer tube off and the UBR stock on. Had to leave some less than glamorous indentations where the original staking once was but there was no way to get that thing off without drilling a bit - and even then using the wrench was still a pain.

Anyways, really happy with the feel of the stock and I'm anxious to see how the Slash's buffer and spring perform. Only other thing I was not happy about was the amount of play the UBR buffer tube had with regards to the indentation at the base of where the buffer tube screws on. I stuffed it with a little paper wad and then screwed the tube on along with the end screw and now it's extremely snug without any play.

Shot the SS barrel today at 350yds. Winds were gusting strong at aprox 20mph west to east across my target. With an acog 3.5x horseshoe-dot I was easily able to shoot an orange size group with untested handloads using Kentucky windage. I just threw the loads together the night before leaving to the desert. The SS barrel rocks. If I had a big powered scope Im sure I could shoot small groups.

I shot mine for the first time Saturday. I was impressed. I was sighting in so I didn't get a chance to do any long range stuff but everything worked nice. 2.5" groups at 100 yards. I know the rifle can do better once I get used to it and the IOR scope.

One question for other folks -- what lenght barrel are you using on your LMT? Any real advantage in SS?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chrome, the SS has the gas block sticking out about 1.5 inches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KG_mauserman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of barrel?. Is that the SS or CL?

Respectfully,

--KJ </div></div> </div></div>

On the 18" and longer barrels, for sure, but do the 16" SS barrels use the longer gas system as well?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJDrake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot this today. Shot off my pack, no rear bag. Factory loaded Hornady 168 BTHP.

10 Shots @ 100yds

IMG_20110316_172822.jpg

IMG_20110316_172908.jpg

IMG_20101207_203027.jpg

Respectfully,

--KJ</div></div>

KJ,

Great shooting, where in Nova do you shoot?

I have the 16" Chrome lined. The next barrel I get for this rifle will be in 6.5 Creedmoor. I might not be able to wait though...I'm wondering if I can have a Bartlein barrel made and then have someone do the conversion...say 24'bbl...would be nice for sure.

Respectfully,

--KJ

Got a chance to take my MWS to the range today to work on load development. It was 26 degrees, sunny, and almost no wind. 175 SMK's with 44.0 grains of Varget got me an average velocity of 2570. Not too bad for an 18" barrel. I will probably tweak the load a few grains to see if I can get better accuracy, but so far I am pretty impressed. Sorry for cell phone pics.

db1f0b68.png

2e9490c7.png

0ceb5f0b.png

18" SS barrel or chrome? Thats a good speed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afd77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got a chance to take my MWS to the range today to work on load development. It was 26 degrees, sunny, and almost no wind. 175 SMK's with 44.0 grains of Varget got me an average velocity of 2570. Not too bad for an 18" barrel. I will probably tweak the load a few grains to see if I can get better accuracy, but so far I am pretty impressed. Sorry for cell phone pics.

</div></div>

Sorry pc, should have had that info in there. It's SS.

Did you use a break in procedure with the SS barrel?

Any issues with the metal LMT mags? Mine won't lock in, PMag will lock and engage the bolt hold open.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrhtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you use a break in procedure with the SS barrel?

Any issues with the metal LMT mags? Mine won't lock in, PMag will lock and engage the bolt hold open. </div></div>

I didn't do any break in on my barrel. The mags that come with the LMT are SR-25 mags made by Knights Armament. They retail for over $100 bucks. That said, I have had no problems with any Pmags I've ran with it (6 total) so I sold the KAC mag without ever taking it out of the plastic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afd77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrhtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you use a break in procedure with the SS barrel?

Any issues with the metal LMT mags? Mine won't lock in, PMag will lock and engage the bolt hold open. </div></div>

I didn't do any break in on my barrel. The mags that come with the LMT are SR-25 mags made by Knights Armament. They retail for over $100 bucks. That said, I have had no problems with any Pmags I've ran with it (6 total) so I sold the KAC mag without ever taking it out of the plastic. </div></div>

I bought 6 pmags and only use the KAC mag. I did not break-in my barrel either. Shoots awesome. I would love to install a barrel brake but do not want the massive carbon build up that comes with it. I tried 2 breaks so far and both made tons of carbon on the crown. (JP/PWS)

If you get a chance can you chrono some 147/150/ 155smk's? My gun shoots 155's and 147's amazing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afd77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrhtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you use a break in procedure with the SS barrel?

I didn't do any break in on my barrel. The mags that come with the LMT are SR-25 mags made by Knights Armament. They retail for over $100 bucks. That said, I have had no problems with any Pmags I've ran with it (6 total) so I sold the KAC mag without ever taking it out of the plastic. </div></div>

Thanks, I was going to go with Pmags because of cost also but it bugs me the KAC mag won't fit. Will call LMT Monday.
I will look at it closer today.
Need to get a scope mounted and go to the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afd77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrhtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you use a break in procedure with the SS barrel?

I bought 6 pmags and only use the KAC mag. I did not break-in my barrel either. Shoots awesome. I would love to install a barrel brake but do not want the massive carbon build up that comes with it. I tried 2 breaks so far and both made tons of carbon on the crown. (JP/PWS)

If you get a chance can you chrono some 147/150/ 155smk's? My gun shoots 155's and 147's amazing. </div></div>

I've got some Federal American Eagle 150 grain ammo I can run through the chrono next time I'm out, but I don't have any 147 grain or 155 SMK's. I do have a few 155 Scenars that I'll run as well if that helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoBenz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Helmet cam of a Brit using the LMT in an ambush firefight. Good stuff.
http://www.apacheclips.com/media/30773/British_ambush_Taliban/ </div></div>

Need to sign up and log in first, no thanks.

His buddy gets a rock ricochet and it makes a tiny cut on his face and he is screaming like a pig. Left his buddies without a machine-gunner too while he tries to crawl away and abandons his gun.

http://freedomslighthouse.net/2010/07/02...-taliban-video/

Different video. Didn't know you had to sign up, but well worth it. They've got great footage albeit some stuff is gory that I tend to shy away from.

Shot these groups at 650yds with my 20" SS barreled mws today.

5 shots per target, it's hard to tell where the hits are but they are there.

100_2000.jpg

My MWS in it's current configuration.

IMG_1708.jpg

The LM308MWS got a nice write up in the recent Guns & Ammo, Book of the AR-15. The article is titled: Crowned: L129A1 by Eric R. Poole. My favorite quote, "And to sweeten the experience, each of us was given the opportunity to extensively test fire what certainly may become the most sought-after production 7.62 Stoner rifle in existence."

I tried to pull it up on www.gunsandammo.com tonight, but the site was down for maintenance.

I've never been emotionally attached to a firearm before this one. They've got magic inside of them.

I have already made the conclusion that my MWS is one of the finest rifles I have ever owned.

I am a LMT fan, my entire collection is LMT, sold all that I owned before to purchase this line of rifles and have never looked back. Never had a FTF, FTE, nothing, with any of them.

The MWS is an outstanding shooter, accurate and while I do not have a lot of rounds done the barrel, I only see the rifle getting better.

I am running a TA11 ACOG now but will be switching to a NF as soon as I get a break from work and spend time installing and setting up. The other items on the rifle are: LT/Harris bipod, ERGO ladder rail covers, PWS FSC30 muzzle device, Magpul enhanced trigger guard, lubricated with Slip 2000 products.

77Bronc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: socket70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MidwestPX - does the fact that the bottom plate is pinned mean it can't be removed for cleaning? </div></div>

I have converted my own to 11 rounds. By cutting the magazine down and gluing (JB Weld) the bottom on, knowing that it will not be removable for cleaning. The issue I have with the pinning is the web that the pin goes through is thin in height. The JB weld is very strong and will not fail. I have loaded my converted magazine dropped from the mag well full, on concrete, thrown up in the air loaded and unloaded, many times, no issues.

Applying the JBWeld in the right way is the key to making the magazine hold together. Clamped and set up for 48 hours before releasing the clamp.

I have four 5.56 Magpuls that I cut from 30 to 20 rounds way before Magpul came out with the 20 rounders and they have seen 1000's of rounds without an issue. All modified as I described.

I've got a MWS coming in tomorrow and a PWS FSC30 compensator on order. Does anyone have any tips, practical advice on the installation of the comp? Thanks...

The comp is a pretty straight forward installation. Be sure to hit the both barrel threads and the FSC with a degreaser prior to installing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a MWS coming in tomorrow and a PWS FSC30 compensator on order. Does anyone have any tips, practical advice on the installation of the comp? Thanks... </div></div>

Look at the shim combination close and clock it such that the top flat is at 11 o'clock real hand tight. I then took the correct open end wrench, placed it on the PWS and with a brass hammer, tapped the wrench until the flat with the PWS symbol is right at 12 o'clock.

Why a hammer and tap? You can control the tightening of the PWS, tap look, tap look, I did not want to over run the 12 o'clock and have to loosen. The pitch of the thread is 24TPI, the PWS moves .041" per revolution, using the very thin shims will be needed. You will have to play around with the shim combination.

If you follow this, the installation will be easy.

Thanks. I'll be looking at these again before installation. Anything special about removing the A2 flash hider, considering that I have never taken one off?

Judge,

I had the shop where I purchased the MWS loosen the A2 before I left, as I had a Smith Vortex to install when I got home. The SV was easy to install, no indexing and tightens while being shot.

If you don't have a gun vise, I would suggest you can try the same technique I described above to install, the A2 flash hider uses a crush washer, so it may be a little tougher to loosen. Just be careful, let me know how it turns out.

10-4 77, and thanks. I'll try the wrench and hammer if necessary. Let you know how I do. I had a 75 Bronc; still miss her...