• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Re: LMT .308 MWS

Shot my new MWS yesterday and today. Noticed that the POA moved down about 1" as the barrel heated up, but still getting about 1.5" groups (10-shot group). Also noticed that there is a sizeable dent on the brass just below the shoulder line. Is this usual and will it affect re-loading the brass? With factory American Eagle, a very small dent; with 42 gr. IMR 4895 and 168 SMK, winchester brass, a larger dent. Appreciate any insight. Thanks...

How did the PWS work out for you? How do you like the MWS? I was shooting at the range this morning and the range officers were off to my right, in back about 12 to 15 feet and they were commenting on the blast from the PWS. They put on their muffs as double hearing protection.

I have inspected my brass real good after picking them up and there are no noticeable dents on the case. I am not a re-loader, will be soon, so I cannot comment on the impact of the dents.

Where in MS are you, north or south?

I haven't got the compensator on yet. Tomorrow, probably. I'm going to go down on the load and see if that makes a difference. I'm north of Vicksburg, on the edge of the delta in Yazoo City. We're still waiting for the river to go down. Regards...

PWS or any brake lays an epoxy hard carbon build up on the crown of the barrel that affects accuracy after a few hundred rounds.

Dent in brass is caused by Gen1 upper or over-gassing or Gen2 bolt or all of the above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: angelballer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4qnxL_54Ls&feature=youtube_gdata_player </div></div>

The Brits certainly have a unique concept of "designated marksman".....
confused.gif

I finished 9th place out of 57 at the Oregon Sniper Match this weekend with mine. I ran a S&B 5-25 on it and a Surefire suppressor. I shot Hornady factory loaded 168gr BTHP...MV was 2550fps out of the chrome lined 16" bbl.

First time I ever used a gasser at a match (excluding my early Service Rifle days) and I have to admit it was nice being able to lock in a nice position and rip off ten rounds on the movers and the positional.

I'm getting ready to test out a 20" bbl chambered in 6.5CM that LMT sent me. I'll write up the results and post them when I'm done. I did get to Chrono Factory loaded 140gr AMAX's and they were running 2750fps on average.

Respectfully,

--KJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PWS or any brake lays an epoxy hard carbon build up on the crown of the barrel that affects accuracy after a few hundred rounds.

Dent in brass is caused by Gen1 upper or over-gassing or Gen2 bolt or all of the above. </div></div>

I am curious as to what to do about this carbon build up?

Well I've shot my LMT MWS on 4 outings since I bought it two weeks ago. No failures at all and it groups well with the ammo I had on hand. Shooting a Leupold 1.5 X 5 VX3 on it. I'll probably stick one of my big scopes on there soon and do some load testing to see which load will be my standard stock load, before going back to lighter scope for normal use.

LMT.jpg

I really like the stock trigger. It breaks very clean with no creep once you take the slack out of the first stage. I dry fired a Geissele SSA E trigger this last weekend on another fellow's weapon and saw no reason to change my stock trigger out.

Is my rifle the only mws that's beating the crap out of my brass? Surely after 17 pages of fawning,drooling and Kool-aid drinking, some one has noticed the condition of their spent brass after firing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is my rifle the only mws that's beating the crap out of my brass? Surely after 17 pages of fawning,drooling and Kool-aid drinking, some one has noticed the condition of their spent brass after firing. </div></div>

I think it's just kind of generally accepted with AR10 platforms that this is going to happen. I was on the line next to KDrake and his brass was enough indication for the only reason why I wouldn't buy one of these semi auto's.

I just can't afford to run factory ammo like that I've gotta stretch my brass as far as it can possibly go
smile.gif
. For most people it's a minor issue though, and it's a beautiful system with incredible capability as he's obviously demonstrated. The benefits outweigh the negatives by far with anyone of reasonable funding for ammo.

My brass has a dent in the side...a pretty good dent actually. It appears to be from hitting the brass deflector. My ejection is forward at about 1-2 o'clock.

I ran a Surefire can this last match with it and the brass ejected was black...looked like it was left on the range for years. I think I saved a few cases and I'll try and take pics

I don't save my brass from the gas gun though...bolt guns yes.

--KJ

Mine doesn't dent the brass at all. It definitely puts some wear on the cartridge rims, but that's to be expected. When I run a can my brass comes out pretty black and nasty but nothing a polisher doesn't fix.

Anybody have a chance to run any Hornady Superformance through their MWS. I just had someone give me a few boxes of it and I was wondering how it does. Unfortunately I am out of town on business and it will be a while before I get any trigger time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is my rifle the only mws that's beating the crap out of my brass? Surely after 17 pages of fawning,drooling and Kool-aid drinking, some one has noticed the condition of their spent brass after firing. </div></div>

Judge,

I can mail you some of my brass and compare to yours...I have some Federal 150 AE, 150 Premium, 168 FGMM I can send you.

Is it denting all brands or just one brand?

Is yours dented at the shoulder line? Ive shot Federal American Eagle and reloads with 168 SMK, which are supposed to be the equivalent of FGMM 42 Gr. of IMR 4895. Both are denting the Am. Eag. is less... Thanks

Judge,

I just looked at 22 empty cases from this past weekend. All 150 grain Federal American Eagle, red box. All looked real good, only two had the slightest ding like a small center punch. I am not a re-loader, but I would not have an issue reloading these. The two that had these dings were about 1/4" below the shoulder. The rims all looked real good.

Send me your email or address and I would be happy to mail these to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cdfiii</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Anybody have a chance to run any Hornady Superformance through their MWS. I just had someone give me a few boxes of it and I was wondering how it does. Unfortunately I am out of town on business and it will be a while before I get any trigger time. </div></div>

I ran some Superformance through the chronograph...2500fps avg, 178gr, 16" CL bbl.

Respectfully,

--KJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cdfiii</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Anybody have a chance to run any Hornady Superformance through their MWS. I just had someone give me a few boxes of it and I was wondering how it does. Unfortunately I am out of town on business and it will be a while before I get any trigger time. </div></div>

I have always heard this is bolt gun only ammo, and not intended for semis. So, I have not used it in my MWS.

I've heard of guys sticking a piece of leather or layers of tape on the deflector to help minimze case denting. Maybe give it a shot and get a few more reloads for the cost of a few cents of material...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJDrake</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cdfiii</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Anybody have a chance to run any Hornady Superformance through their MWS. I just had someone give me a few boxes of it and I was wondering how it does. Unfortunately I am out of town on business and it will be a while before I get any trigger time. </div></div>

I ran some Superformance through the chronograph...2500fps avg, 178gr, 16" CL bbl.

Respectfully,

--KJ </div></div>
Thanks for the info KJ... I am guessing it functioned fine. Did you get a chance to shoot any groups with it?

Every one of my cases gets a nasty bite from the barrel extension on its journey out of the chamber. Over zealous ejector spring maybe?

Functions just fine, not built for the economical reloader in mind thats all.

Holy shit batman, that is straight AR Nirvana in my book...I might have to put a nxs compact on it but then again Ive never owned an USO and I'd love the opportunity to do so sometime.

The "Win" I can see from your angled cam shot would be that outstanding USO, Atlas V8 bipod on a AD-BP, Sopmod and Scar covers,and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you went ahead and got the trigger that gun deserves so badly considering it's other specs, if so it's sporting a world beating SDE trigger and I will hit the "ohhhh face" for you
shocked.gif

What barrel is that brother?

Looking at some cases yesterday, after trying some 150 gr. Nosler ballistic tips, to see if the lighter bullet might lessen the pressure and do whatever, it appears from the dents on the side of the cases and the scratches on the necks that they are being snatched rather rudely from the chamber and heaved out by not one, but two ejectors. Looking at the bolt face, there is one at the bottom and one at the top. I'm going to put some foam tape on the deflector and see if that helps. As an aside, that compensator I put on there was the worst waste of a c-note I've experienced in some time. All I got for my effort was a lot of muzzle blast... Regards...

judgedelta,

Which compensator did you put on? Was the muzzle blast rearward? What did you experience with recoil? Your experience might be beneficial those of us considering a compensator.

Thanks,

PWS FSC30. As far as I'm concerned, it is a POS FSC30. Like I mentioned above, I couldn't tell the difference in recoil, but a MWS doesn't have much to start with (the scope still moves off of the target); there was no improvement in accuracy and the muzzle blast made shooting unpleasant even with muffs on, in addition to stampeding all of the critters on the place. I put my A-2 back on. If I had a hundred posts, I"d put it up for sale.

Just my considered opinion...

The LMT MWS has two ejectors because it uses the same bolt as the full auto models, and it is necessary to get the brass out in a hurry when running 800+ RPM. I am advised that removing a coil from each spring should relieve the pressure on the ejectors and put the brass at three o'clock about three or four feet away. Takes a 1/16 punch to drive out the roll pin. I'll let you know after I try it. Regards...

Judge,

I do get the blast from mine, I did notice a difference in recoil, as I mentioned in a previous posting.

I do think that when I get my scope on my rifle and no longer use the short eye relief ACOG, I will go back to the Smith Vortex. The side blast is really rough, according to the guys along side of me. My son is in town from college this weekend and I am going to have him shoot it with me on the side, so I can seed what it is like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9mmkungfu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cdfiii</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Anybody have a chance to run any Hornady Superformance through their MWS. I just had someone give me a few boxes of it and I was wondering how it does. Unfortunately I am out of town on business and it will be a while before I get any trigger time. </div></div>

I have always heard this is bolt gun only ammo, and not intended for semis. So, I have not used it in my MWS. </div></div>

I ran some Superperformance 178gr ammo thru my 16CL barrel and it popped some primers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FromMyColdDeadHa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9mmkungfu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cdfiii</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Anybody have a chance to run any Hornady Superformance through their MWS. I just had someone give me a few boxes of it and I was wondering how it does. Unfortunately I am out of town on business and it will be a while before I get any trigger time. </div></div>

I have always heard this is bolt gun only ammo, and not intended for semis. So, I have not used it in my MWS. </div></div>

I ran some Superperformance 178gr ammo thru my 16CL barrel and it popped some primers.</div></div>

There are several topics on this throughout this forum. Unless you have a 24" barrel, you shouldn't run the Hornady Superformance ammo. It is designed for BOLT rifles but will work in a 24" semi-auto platform. Anything shorter and you risk damaging your rifle, not to mention FTF and popped primers.

I tried it with a 20" barrel and was all too unhappy with the results. Fortunately, Hornady swapped out all 240rds for the same round count of 168gr A-MAX.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PWS FSC30. As far as I'm concerned, it is a POS FSC30. Like I mentioned above, I couldn't tell the difference in recoil, but a MWS doesn't have much to start with (the scope still moves off of the target); there was no improvement in accuracy and the muzzle blast made shooting unpleasant even with muffs on, in addition to stampeding all of the critters on the place. I put my A-2 back on. If I had a hundred posts, I"d put it up for sale.

Just my considered opinion...</div></div>

Trying to sell something without having the adequate number of posts is enough to get you banned. The fact that you mentioned having one for sale is grounds enough and could easily be viewed as an attempt to circumvent the rules of the forum.

If your rifle still moves off target when you pull the trigger, perhaps you aren't loading up your bipod correctly because you should still be on target even if your POA has shifted slightly.

To each his own on the FSC30. I put one on my POF and I instantly noticed a reduction in recoil.

Thanks for the warning. I wouldn't sell it to anyone on here anyway. I was shooting off of bags, so loading the bipod wasn't an issue. I tried it and didn't like it, chocolate and vanilla...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the warning. I wouldn't sell it to anyone on here anyway. I was shooting off of bags, so loading the bipod wasn't an issue. I tried it and didn't like it, chocolate and vanilla... </div></div>
If you want the most effective brake on the market for a 7.62 try a SJC Titan. The most effective also means its the loudest. Muzzle jump is amazing flat though.

Has anybody just pulled the A2 flash hider off and put a thread protector on their LMT?

I've have a screw on can and am trying to figure out whether to put a thread protector on or just carry a small wrench and pull the A2 every time I want to use the can. Sounds like a pain in the rear to keep the flash hider if I'm going to use the can frequenly.

Is the Magpul ACS the only direct replacement for the MWS factory stock. I just can't seem to warm up to the SOPMOD stock to date when shooting prone. I have never tried a ACS stock but am looking around to see if I can find someone with one locally to try out. What other options are available short of replacing the buffer tube?

Thanks
Pat

Just a quick reply, pictures of my MWS. Runs great, this rifle is a tack driver. I think it is one of the finest rifles I have ever owned.

For now it has a TA11, ordered a USO SN-3 for it, will be ready in 8 weeks. Bottom picture includes my Seekonk torque wrench for the barrel locking system, set torque for 140 in-lbs, best tool to get for the rifle.

77Bronc001.jpg

77Bronc002.jpg

77Bronc003.jpg

77Bronc004.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJDrake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes..you can use other stocks. You just need to change receiver extension and buffer. I use the UBR on mine

--KJ </div></div>

To say that they were exuberant when they staked the receiver extension castle nut is putting it mildly. I could drill it out but am looking to see what will just slip on the stock extension besides the SOPMOD and ACS to see if anything else would work before ripping and tearing.

Pat

Any milspec stock will work on it.You will just have a small area of exposed tube just like with the sopmod do to the slightly longer tube.

So a UBR will work it will just not go as short and have some exposed tube due to the longer extension?
Heck I can live with that.

I will trade around stocks to see how they work as most I have are milspec vs commercial receiver extensions.

I thought the SOPMOD extension was somehow different than a standard milspec (other than a bit longer) extension.

I have a Vltor E-mod running around somewhere and UBR's on my 223 AR's and have access to an ACS to give it a go.

I assume that I can just remove the stock from one receiver extension and slide it on another as long as all are milspec???

Pat

MtGoat,

Any collapsable stock made for mil-spec receiver extensions will fit. I believe the UBR requires a rifle-length RE and rifle buffer, like the PRS. It can be done but is not possible with the current (OEM) RE.

These LMT MWSs look great! I have another thread asking for advice on a new .308 and had it limited to 3 (The LMT wasn't in consideration until now). I may have to sell a 5.56 OBR upper and NF scope to fulfill my .308 desire.

I was leaning towards the REPR, but I like almost everything about the LMT besides the trigger and stock and the cost of a barrel upgrade.

The ubr includes it's own buffer tube and a rifle length buffer will not work. You would need a heavy ar10 carbine buffer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">If</span> I had a hundred posts, I"d put it up for sale.

Just my considered opinion... </div></div>

Wow, this site now has IF police, thanks for the warning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was leaning towards the REPR, but I like almost everything about the LMT besides the trigger and stock and the cost of a barrel upgrade. </div></div>

The LMT is a great gun. Good news is you can sell the SOPMOD and cover the cost of any collapsable stock for it. If you don't like the trigger, you can sell it and be 1/2 way into a Geissele and the factory 16" CL barrel is a real shooter. It may not be 1/2 MOA but it is 3/4" to 1 MOA easily, and 1 MOA out to 500+yds is not too shabby in my book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">If</span> I had a hundred posts, I"d put it up for sale.

Just my considered opinion... </div></div>

Wow, this site now has IF police, thanks for the warning.</div></div>
Best use of "IF" is - An anecdote has it that when Philip II sent a message to Sparta saying "If I enter Laconia, I will raze Sparta", the Spartans responded with the single, terse reply: "If."

I run an ACS and like it. Took the brake off as it carbons up the crown really bad and throws off accuracy. I also had a PWS brake and it cut recoil in half and made it less of a rifle recoil and more like a shotgun. The castle nut comes off very easy with a GOOD 3 point wrench. Do not attempt with a single point cheap Chinese wrench.

_U6L0310.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trident1982</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy shit batman, that is straight AR Nirvana in my book...I might have to put a nxs compact on it but then again Ive never owned an USO and I'd love the opportunity to do so sometime.

The "Win" I can see from your angled cam shot would be that outstanding USO, Atlas V8 bipod on a AD-BP, Sopmod and Scar covers,and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you went ahead and got the trigger that gun deserves so badly considering it's other specs, if so it's sporting a world beating SDE trigger and I will hit the "ohhhh face" for you
shocked.gif

What barrel is that brother? </div></div>

Stock trigger, 16" CL barrel. Good eye for details mate, even though you missed the AI scope mount
wink.gif

33a53pv.jpg

I have about 400 rounds through so far with this setup, 150 were at a moving target course to 600 yards. The rapid brake is great, but does not make many friends on the firing line. Easy to pull for cleaning every hundred rounds or so. Holdovers were dead on from 200-600 yards. .75 MOA is my best estimate rounding up. I don't see changing the trigger anytime soon since it does just about everything I would hope it to do.

If I swap in a SS 260 barrel and wring every last drop out of it, then maybe I'll look into sinking $ into a trigger.

What jam nut are you running in this picture (the thing between the barrel and brake). I found that the brake needs to be timed perfectly or I get torque roll. How are you timing it? I do not see any shims.

77Bronc002.jpg