• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Re: LMT .308 MWS

There is no jam nut, you are looking at the entire brake. There are shims between the brake and the barrel that are not seen. They sit inside the brake. I played around with the shim combination until I got the top flat with the PWS symbol facing at 11 o'clock with a real hand tight fit.

I then used an open end wrench, tapped on the end of the wrench with a hammer until I got the PWS symbol facing up.

Tap, tap, tap, look, tap, tap, tap look, did this about 15 times, as I did not want to overshoot and have to loosen once I got the washers to crush. Even though they are not crush washers, but shims, they do take some crush.

The timing is perfect....take your time, take your time...glad to discuss more if you have any questions.

And then do you use a wrench with the tap tap method every tme you clean it, or it pretty much indexed st that point and you just rotate her down?

I am sorry, maybe I missed something, are you saying removal each time it is to be cleaned? Instead of the soak and brush method of cleaning? I looked at it well before I installed and it seems it will be easy to clean without removal. Getting to the barrel crown with a cleaning tool. If it becomes a chore, I will sit down and design something to do the job.

I have no plans to take on and off and if I were to do that, the same method will be used.

This is my first brake and I researched it well before purchasing. If removal and re-indexing is needed often, it will be removed and not reinstalled, I will go back with a Smith Vortex.

I purchased the PWS to cut down on the recoil as I first installed a TA11 with minimal eye relief on the rifle. I wanted to see if I liked the TA11 series before I purchased a TA11 with the .308 calibration....now that I will be installing a USO, I am not so sure I will keep the PWS

Anyone know for sure whether or not the DPMS mags will lock and load in the MWS? I'm looking to get a couple of shorties to use off of the bench and maybe off of the shooting house rail later in the year. I hope I don't need a 20-rounder during deer season. thanks...

Where can I purchase a new system, with the British-spec furniture and the 5R barrel ?

Who has a good price ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know for sure whether or not the DPMS mags will lock and load in the MWS? I'm looking to get a couple of shorties to use off of the bench and maybe off of the shooting house rail later in the year. I hope I don't need a 20-rounder during deer season. thanks...</div></div>

Yes, DPMS mags will work just fine as well the cut-down LR20 PMAGs that I make.

hi new to this site need adive on 6.5 grendal upper 24 or 19.5 barrel dont know which way to go

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: meatcutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hi new to this site need adive on 6.5 grendal upper 24 or 19.5 barrel dont know which way to go
</div></div>

Maybe to another thread...?

I sprung for an 18" .308 barrel and have only sighted it in, but looks likes it will be a shooter. POI shifted about an inch to left at 25 yds from 16" chrome barrel. Barrel swap was about one minute. Took a lot longer to clean the new barrel than to put it on; it appears that LMT tests these things with black powder. New barrel was dirtier than old, which had about a hundred rounds through it. More info later on accuracy.

Y'all can't be having all the fun. I finally got my MWS today. Mounted the new Vortex PST and the Harris bipod. Off to the range at first light tomorrow. Range report to follow.

34nilox.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know for sure whether or not the DPMS mags will lock and load in the MWS? I'm looking to get a couple of shorties to use off of the bench and maybe off of the shooting house rail later in the year. I hope I don't need a 20-rounder during deer season. thanks... </div></div>

Got a ten rd short dpms mag here and it fits fine.

WOW. I say again, WOW.

Got to shoot the LMT MWS 16" with a BSA 6-24X Mildot/Burris PEPR mount today. Rancher buddy bought the rifle, slapped the scope on temporarily as he's waiting for another scope. He figures to shoot elk with it.

Shot two 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards, then switched to a football sized rock at 351 yards. Hit it 9 out of 10 at 14x after first round adjustment. We were shooting 150 grain Federal Softpoint, not match ammo.

The trigger on this rifle is great; first stage takeup, second stage breaks clean. I was really surprised at the lack of recoil. Felt like shooting an AR15.

I've been holding off on switching from my SA M1A-A1 Bush Rifle to an AR platform, but WOW, I was impressed.

I can sure see why you guys promote the LMT.

The 18" SS barrel is a shooter.

Shot this target at 100 in a 15mph gusting with handloads.

I was shooting at the 1" logo target.

NF-LMT-range%20001a.jpg

Nice shooting! That is an impressive group. Let us know how it holds up at some longer distances, when you get the chance. Looks very promising.

I am considering a LMT MWS purchase, and would like to know how many versions/generations are out there of the MWS BCG. I have seen two versions, with talk of a third one (that is either already out, or is going to be released soon).
I remember seeing some threads on M4Carbine.net (the site is down right now - I will link to it when it's back up) regarding the chroming finish peeling/flaking off their carriers, causing them to switch to a different coating.
They also appear to have changed the contour along the bottom and sides.
The other thing I would like to know is possible issues with the BCG compatibility with aftermarket triggers (specifically a Geissele SSA-E). I remember reading that some users were not able to use aftermarket triggers with these BCG's.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Ohhhhhh. That Noveske barrel is pretty smexy. Mind me asking about how much, ballpark? I've been hearing some good things regarding Noveske.
The LMT is such a good value. Mine is a keeper, nice rifle.

Benito,

I am only aware of 2 different BCGs out. I thought the reason for the change was to make it possible for a greater number of aftermarket triggers to be used. I have an MWS with the 2nd BCG and am running an SD-E trigger without issue.

I also remember the chrome issue and can't remember the reason for flaking. Mine looks similar to a MP3 coating with a chrome bolt.

My rifle has about 1,400 rounds through it (FGMM 168, DAG, Malysan, Hornady, etc.) and not a single malf., FTF, FTE or anything. Just my example of 1, YMMV.

I've searched for pics showing the 2 gens of the BCG's, and found this. I think the top one is gen1, and the bottom gen 2.
lmtbolt01.jpg

lmtbolt02.jpg

lmtbolt03.jpg

Is this correct, and for you Geissele owners, does one of the BCG's have compatibility issues with Geissele triggers?

The rifle I am looking at buying has the following BCG, which appears to be a gen1.
LMTMWSBoltPic5.jpg

My BCG is definitely the darker one, identified as gen 2, and have had zero issues with my Geissele SD-E. Good luck.

The 1st BC was genuine KAC. The second is LMT and has the different coating, lightning cuts, ski ramps and larger gas hole. The second, at least with my SS barrel, is making a small dig into my buffer tube (carrier tilt). I think they may make a 3rd to solve this issue. LMT seems to be constantly improving this gun as the upper receiver and bolt has also been changed. The first bolt was a single ejector and the second is a dual ejector. The second LMT BC allows closing of the upper, lower with an empty mag in, something the KAC BC would not allow. The G trigger worked with both BC's in my gun.

bolt%20002a.jpg

This might sound like a weird question, but would a DPMS-LR-308 BCG function inside a LMT MWS 308 upper?
I've read that a KAC SR-25 BCG and LMT MWS can be interchanged, and that the SR-25 has a lot of compatibility with DPMS LR-308's, so I was curious if anyone has tried out a DPMS BCG inside a LMT MWS 308?

Also, I found a few threads on M4c (finally back up and running) about MWS bolt carriers:
M4C thread on MWS carriers
Another MWS carrier thread on M4C

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 997/2man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ohhhhhh. That Noveske barrel is pretty smexy. Mind me asking about how much, ballpark? I've been hearing some good things regarding Noveske.
The LMT is such a good value. Mine is a keeper, nice rifle. </div></div>

The gentleman I purchased it from was asking $700. They sell used around $650. Well worth the money for an amazingly accurate barrel

Jim

I guess that I have the old bolt (single ejector) with a new BCG. Anyone know what upper/lower this is?
The rifle just got got to my dealer a month ago, so prob. fairly recent. Any info would be appreciated.
jhendri thanks. I've heard good stuff re Noveske. I might go the barrel swap route for the LMT, but a new N6 would be the shizzle.
DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0332.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

Looks like the 1st gen upper. The second gen has a rounded edge brass bumper with no sharp edges at all and no lightning cut behind the buffer.
http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/LMT/Nightforce/NF-LMT%20006a.jpg
NF-LMT%20006a.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 997/2man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess that I have the old bolt (single ejector) with a new BCG. Anyone know what upper/lower this is?
The rifle just got got to my dealer a month ago, so prob. fairly recent. Any info would be appreciated.
jhendri thanks. I've heard good stuff re Noveske. I might go the barrel swap route for the LMT, but a new N6 would be the shizzle.
DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0332.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg
</div></div>

My MWS is now complete, I installed my new USO SN-3, 1.8-10 TPAL/EREK, with USO rings, PWS Brake, LaRue/Harris combination bipod with tilt control/knob. EROG grip, Ergo ladder rail panels, PWS FSC30 brake along with the LaRue/Harris bipod combination

The rifle shoots great, I have the USO on at 100 yards with Blackhills .308 Win Match, 168 grain Boat Tail Hollow Point, shoots 1" high with 168 grain FGM, both shooting 3/4". I could close that up some, but it is so damn hot outside!!!

The EREK is zeroed at +5 clicks from bottom. The blank top cover plate is installed along with the o-rings. Windage knob has been zeroed.

Many thanks to Lazy21 and 997/2Man for their technical help and also to SgtKyle (Jason) at USO for his tremendous help and customer service, he is a great man to deal with.
August20th008-1.jpg

August20th007-1.jpg

August20th005-1.jpg

August20th009.jpg

This is a fine set up, a keeper...

I have the same rifle and scope. My scope in an ADM one piece mount sits a little lower than yours in the USO rings. How is the sight picture with that set up? I bought a Larue RISR for the CTR stock I put on it and find that the cheek weld is too high for my scope/mount. Are you satisfied with the height of your rings? seems they could be lower but I'm just asking to see if they work for you. Thanks.

EDIT: Looking closer it seems they are about the same height, yours is set further back though.

DSC_0894.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 77Bronc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
August20th005-1.jpg

</div></div>

What is the bump on 77bronc's receiver just behind the forward ring? Mine doesn't have it.

EDIT: his has a different cutout over the bolt catch also.

Must be a special edition gun for REAL snipers, mine has it too.
Seriously, I guess it is a small change or two in the receiver. Had no idea that it was different or what fer.

Is it the consensus of the MWS clique that the Giessele triggers will fit and function in the MWS with no problem? (Wonder how you pronounce that, anyway...)

LMT/USO is a hot ticket. Good rifle, great scope, good value for the dollar, made in U.S.A. I would put a lot of check marks in the plus column. The 1.8-10x and the .308 are a good match.

Find a load your rifle shoots well and the fun has just begun.
Good luck. Nice rifle. You better put up some groups!

Is it the consensus of the MWS clique that the Giessele triggers will fit and function in the MWS with no problem? (Wonder how you pronounce that, anyway...)

I was wondering the same thing.
Mine may be in need of a lighter trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the same rifle and scope. My scope in an ADM one piece mount sits a little lower than yours in the USO rings. How is the sight picture with that set up? I bought a Larue RISR for the CTR stock I put on it and find that the cheek weld is too high for my scope/mount. Are you satisfied with the height of your rings? seems they could be lower but I'm just asking to see if they work for you. Thanks.

EDIT: Looking closer it seems they are about the same height, yours is set further back though.

</div></div>

DWood,

I started with the 1.25" rings from USO and they were too low, so I moved up to the 1.35" rings, while .100 does not seem much, it made a big difference. I looked at the ADM, but was concerned the TPAL with EREK would be too tight, even using the SW version. If I recall, the ADM actually sits higher, I believe it is a 1.45" height for the centerline.

I like the set up. Jason at USO did me some outstanding CS, told him the rings were too low last Monday, I had another set on Wednesday when I got home....man you cannot get better than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Must be a special edition gun for REAL snipers, mine has it too.
Seriously, I guess it is a small change or two in the receiver. Had no idea that it was different or what fer.

</div></div>

My LMT 2 stage is really settling in, feels better each range trip....

I was told it is pronounced: guys-lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 997/2man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LMT/USO is a hot ticket. Good rifle, great scope, good value for the dollar, made in U.S.A. I would put a lot of check marks in the plus column. The 1.8-10x and the .308 are a good match.

Find a load your rifle shoots well and the fun has just begun.
Good luck. Nice rifle. You better put up some groups! </div></div>

Thanks for the help...I am not a real good shot. My good friend in Fairfax is coming down in the fall, he shoots competition, so I will let him take it for a spin...

My next question is I need some guidance on where to go next. My range is only 100 yards and what do I do with the 31 mils I have in storage.

Do I try to find a 200, 300, 400 range and shoot with the "come-ups" or determine them with my specific load? That is why I am looking for some good reading on this. This is my first real long range scope, I have been using ACOG's up until now, so any guidance would be good. There is a real good shooting school, VATA Group, about 20 miles from my house, but I am not sure if they are going to have a long range session this year

How my MWS is set up now. I have had several set ups over the past year but now I am back to a 16" SS barrel. Planning to run a surefire suppressor and just had the muzzle brake installed a couple weeks back. Seems to be much softer shooting, but the new recoil impulse is throwing me off.

100_2182.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it the consensus of the MWS clique that the Giessele triggers will fit and function in the MWS with no problem? (Wonder how you pronounce that, anyway...)
</div></div>

As far as geiselle triggers, I am running an ssa-e with no problems. The lmt is a nice 2 stage, but lighter ssa-e makes it a little easier for me to shoot accurate.

I know this is only a 5 round 100yd group, but this was to confirm zero and check my load. Gotta get out and shoot some 10 round groups and long distance in the next few weeks.

100_2133.jpg

Thanks for the info on the triggers. I shot my Bushie OCR and MWS this PM and the .223 has a better trigger. I'm really not used to a 2-stage battle-rifle trigger and I'm going to burn some more powder trying to break myself in, but I think I'd like the lighter trigger. Regards to all ...

Target from yesterday at the range...bottom right hole is American Eagle, it was all over the map, made a move, then loaded 168 grain FGM, printed well. Flier at 6 o'clock was third shot...

DSC_0380.jpg

Am I correct in seeing that you can simply install the Surefire muzzle break without having a smith turn down the barrel?

Is this on the 16" chrome lined and the 20" stainless or just the 16"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I correct in seeing that you can simply install the Surefire muzzle break without having a smith turn down the barrel?

Is this on the 16" chrome lined and the 20" stainless or just the 16"? </div></div>

Good question, reading the SF brake specs, you need a .775" diameter barrel, IIRC, my MWS diameter was over .800 diameter, that is why I went with PWS, which works great, I would recommend it to anyone.

On some newer MWS's, the factory cl 16" is turned down to accept a surefire brake. I picked up my mws in may and it has this feature.

PYleEk.jpg

W309fD.jpg

Ok, that is what I had read elsewhere too. I believe this may be a running update on their stainless barrels as a feature request from the Brits. Very glad to see that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I correct in seeing that you can simply install the Surefire muzzle break without having a smith turn down the barrel?

Is this on the 16" chrome lined and the 20" stainless or just the 16"? </div></div>

FWIW, My barrel is one of the older ones with out the cut to mount the surefire mount. I had to let my local gunsmith do a little work to get the mount installed.

Husky, how do you like that Atlas bipod?

New guy here...just picked up my MWSE today. Can't wait to get some glass on it and get it out to the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JesseCuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Husky, how do you like that Atlas bipod?

New guy here...just picked up my MWSE today. Can't wait to get some glass on it and get it out to the range. </div></div>

Beat me to the question....how is the Atlas bipod?

The atlas is very solid. I can't speak for anything other than a Harris, but the atlas blows it out of the water in every aspect(except maybe opening speed. A non issue for me). If I could do it over, I would have opted for the qd model, or at least the no clamp so I could use a LT qd mount.

I bought mine last April. It has the NP3 bolt carrier and the single extractor bolt. It has the newer upper with the bump on the left side. Im about to swap out the 16 chrome for a 18 ss...Is everybody thats running the 18ss getting some carrier tilt?

Without wading thru 19 pages, is that a spacer just above where the web of your hand would be for the pistol grip? I picked up an MWS and it comes with an FDE Ergo grip I want to change to black. I suppose I could use a black MIAD without the extended backstrap but it is not as comfortable.

the ergo has a built in "wedge", magpul makes a wedge to use with the miad to fill in the gap.

31fdb9de.jpg