• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

well from my 16 to 20 CL barrels, it was 2.868 for the 16 inch CL compared to 2.870 for my 20 inch Cl. now that is OAL with a 178 AMX, i can check the ogive this evening to give a better idea, but regardless the 178 amax would have to be loaded long to engage the lands or even get close.

still going to do a little testing this week at .010 off the lands and single feeding. last time i did that with a krieger barreled ar10 had some great results.

Gents I need your knowledge. I just traded my MK12 for a LMT MWS and a Trijicon. The MWS is one of the very early ones I believe, and I have noticed a couple of things since I got it last week and would like some info.

#1 From what I read the two bolts that hold the barrel in are supposed to have a flat washer beneath them. Mine does not have any type of washer. I am sure of it, I removed the bolts and barrel just for fun.

#2 The previous owner installed a magpul trigger guard. I hate the look of it, and would like to put a standard flat one just like they are issued. Does it take a standard flat trigger guard or does it require some type of larger AR-10 trigger guard.

#3 In every picture I look at online of MWS's they all have a standard grey finish buffer tube/receiver extension you see on every AR. Mine has a very dark black smooth extension that feels like it has some type of coating on it. Now don't get me wrong, I like it, and it makes adjusting the sopmod feel very smooth. I am just not seeing it on other MWS's. Does anyone else have one like this? Or was this something possibly replaced by the previous owner.

#4 My bolt catch/release feels very loose. I can wiggle it from side to side and up and down. And when I lift it, it does not immediately drop from the spring pressure like all my AR's do. I have only shot 40 rounds through it and had zero issues, and it caught the bolt after the last round on both mags, but I see this as being a possible problem. Is this any easy fix? and where could I order a new spring?

#5 My bolt does not have the dual ejectors that come standard now. Did they change this because it was an issue with .308 ammo or just for the hell of beefing it up for the Brits? And can I buy just a new bolt if I desire or do I have to get a full bolt carrier? And how much do those run?

Thanks for all the help fellas!!

Gents I need your knowledge. I just traded my MK12 for a LMT MWS and a Trijicon. The MWS is one of the very early ones I believe, and I have noticed a couple of things since I got it last week and would like some info.

#1 From what I read the two bolts that hold the barrel in are supposed to have a flat washer beneath them. Mine does not have any type of washer. I am sure of it, I removed the bolts and barrel just for fun.
#2 The previous owner installed a magpul trigger guard. I hate the look of it, and would like to put a standard flat one just like they are issued. Does it take a standard flat trigger guard or does it require some type of larger AR-10 trigger guard.
#3 In every picture I look at online of MWS's they all have a standard grey finish buffer tube/receiver extension you see on every AR. Mine has a very dark black smooth extension that feels like it has some type of coating on it. Now don't get me wrong, I like it, and it makes adjusting the sopmod feel very smooth. I am just not seeing it on other MWS's. Does anyone else have one like this? Or was this something possibly replaced by the previous owner.
#4 My bolt catch/release feels very loose. I can wiggle it from side to side and up and down. And when I lift it, it does not immediately drop from the spring pressure like all my AR's do. I have only shot 40 rounds through it and had zero issues, and it caught the bolt after the last round on both mags, but I see this as being a possible problem. Is this any easy fix? and where could I order a new spring?
#5 My bolt does not have the dual ejectors that come standard now. Did they change this because it was an issue with .308 ammo or just for the hell of beefing it up for the Brits? And can I buy just a new bolt if I desire or do I have to get a full bolt carrier? And how much do those run?

The majority of what you're referencing is definitely associated with the Gen 1 MWS. I can't answer some of your questions with certainty, as I have no direct experience with the Gen 1 versions.

#1 - The washer/plate was added on the Gen 2.
#3 - I believe the light gray you're seeing is a dry lube film that does wear off. Not sure if they had this on the Gen 1 versions.
#5 - Yes, Gen 2 switched to the dual ejector.

Call LMT and ask for Gene Swanson. He can give you definitive answers, and you can also buy all of the parts you need directly.

lmtstore.com
Phone: 309.787.7151

Regarding the washer plate.

I have 2 LMT LM8 rifles (one manufactured January 2014, and one June 2014. The January rifle has the washer plate, the June rifle does NOT have the washer plate.

I'm wondering if the washer plate is just a fitting issue or if they forgot it. I will say changing the barrel with the rifle WITH the washer plate is a lot easier. The rifle WITHOUT the washer plate was a PITA to remove the barrel for the first time. I'm wondering if the June rifle WITHOUT the washer plate was too tight to get the torque screws installed so they left it without.

My LM8 built in May 2014 has the plate. I didn't think it did at first but I pulled both bolts completely out and was able to remove the plate from the upper. I would think with no plate the screws would gall up the aluminum.

Regarding the washer plate.

I have 2 LMT LM8 rifles (one manufactured January 2014, and one June 2014. The January rifle has the washer plate, the June rifle does NOT have the washer plate.

I'm wondering if the washer plate is just a fitting issue or if they forgot it. I will say changing the barrel with the rifle WITH the washer plate is a lot easier. The rifle WITHOUT the washer plate was a PITA to remove the barrel for the first time. I'm wondering if the June rifle WITHOUT the washer plate was too tight to get the torque screws installed so they left it without.

Here are the results of my efforts to squeeze out the accuracy of a 20" LMT .260 Remington barrel.

Groups 1, 2, and 3 were from a barrel I pulled a bore snake through. All shots were in 5-round strings.... Except for group 3 that I derped on and only put four rounds in the mag.

So, here it is:

759C3A60-CE91-4B22-A0CB-CBEB31E34838_zpsag9zjvnl.jpg

849E7A03-45D5-4400-BD96-19AA7E46A16D_zps7woi2l7e.jpg

Reactions: Mdp777
Here are the results of my efforts to squeeze out the accuracy of a 20" LMT .260 Remington barrel.

Groups 1, 2, and 3 were from a barrel I pulled a bore snake through. All shots were in 5-round strings.... Except for group 3 that I derped on and only put four rounds in the mag.

So, here it is:

759C3A60-CE91-4B22-A0CB-CBEB31E34838_zpsag9zjvnl.jpg

849E7A03-45D5-4400-BD96-19AA7E46A16D_zps7woi2l7e.jpg

Some fine shooting. Were these reloads or factory?

These were reloads. It took a lot of work to get to this point, so I'm glad that I'm able to post up these pictures.

The gun knows what it likes, it just took a while for me to get it out.

These were reloads. It took a lot of work to get to this point, so I'm glad that I'm able to post up these pictures.

Do you mind sharing your load specs?

Do you mind sharing your load specs?

123gr Nosler CC (HPBT)
41.0gr H4350
Fed 210 primer (non-match)
LCLR brass sized down and neck turned

With my TBAC 30PS, it produces 2720fps.
without the can, it makes 2690fps.
in either case, there are no pressure signs on the brass. I don't push it very hard.

****The base-to-ogive measurment is 2.284". This gives me an OAL of 2.804". This measurement is particular to MY barrel, as this is .006" from the lands.

So what's the deal with these rifles and their accuracy? I've been wanting a .308 AR for a while now and these look very good but I read widely varying accounts of their accuracy. Everything from sub .5 MOA reliably to barely able to get MOA at 100 yards.

I shot a LaRue PredatOBR 16" 7.62 and it was definitely a sub MOA gun but the price and my previous dealings with LaRue have turned me off to them.

Are the 16" CL versions a viable choice for a DM type match gun shooting out to 6-700 yards or is that outside of their intended purpose?

What about with the stainless 18" or 20" barrels?

Reactions: EdO
My 16 inch chrome lined has shot sub Moa 5 shot groups at 100, 200, and 300 yards. I have shot it out to 600 yards and it makes it easy. That said I shoot hand loads through it. The gun makes me look good.

So what's the deal with these rifles and their accuracy? I've been wanting a .308 AR for a while now and these look very good but I read widely varying accounts of their accuracy. Everything from sub .5 MOA reliably to barely able to get MOA at 100 yards.

I shot a LaRue PredatOBR 16" 7.62 and it was definitely a sub MOA gun but the price and my previous dealings with LaRue have turned me off to them.

Are the 16" CL versions a viable choice for a DM type match gun shooting out to 6-700 yards or is that outside of their intended purpose?

My 16 inch chrome lined has shot sub Moa 5 shot groups at 100, 200, and 300 yards. I have shot it out to 600 yards and it makes it easy. That said I shoot hand loads through it. The gun makes me look good.

Sounds great. I guess I just need to get behind one some time.

I wouldn't hesitate to get the SS .308 barrels for that purpose.

Wow, great thread, I have been looking at getting a .308 AR and finally read all 51 pages of this post, yes it took some time, lol. Great information.

After having my LMT LM8 since May and then sending my scope out to get it coated I got everything assembled and sighted in today. A few observations I noticed.

1. I don't really care much for the stock trigger. It's not terrible, but I'm so much more used to the SSA and SSA-E's that when I got home I swapped in an SSA-E out of another rifle.
2. Recoil is much more pronounced on this than my small frame AR's. I ended up swapping over the Limbsaver recoil pad I had on my Magpul STR which I used on my 6.8 AR to the ASC on my LMT.
3. It sure seems to be over gassed and I think this is contributing to the heavier felt recoil. I'm going to swap in a MGI Rate Reducing buffer which I have on hand and try it out to see if it helps with the Overgas/Felt recoil.

I did most of the shooting with Federal XM80 ball ammo today. I did try and run some 178gr A-max which I purchased from Custom Reloads of Dallas but I was getting tired and have been fighting some back problems for the past few weeks after taking a nasty fall. I was starting to get tired but I managed a group with the XM80 ball that shows promise in the LMT. I think she's gonna be a shooter! The 178 A-max are not even worth looking at so I won't post any pictures of those. I'm going to try and make it out to the range again tomorrow and get the KAC Back up irons sighted in and run some Chronograph data.

Now what you all want to see...the photos.

LMT LM8 MWS .308 16" Chrome Lined Barrel Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9 in Aero Precision Mount.

IMG_20140911_174541_zps7a5703ae.jpg

These were rounds 36-40 being shot through the rifle by me. Shot at 100 Yards. I can see what everyone means about having to learn to drive a Large frame AR!
IMG_20140913_183454_zps5da42ae0.jpg

Put a BCM mod 3 (large) charging handle on my MWS today. Very LITTLE difference from stock charging handle. Purchace is about the same as the factory LMT. Just an FYI.

Put a BCM mod 3 (large) charging handle on my MWS today. Very LITTLE difference from stock charging handle. Purchace is about the same as the factory LMT. Just an FYI.

I use a raptor 7.62 on mine, but am anxiously awaiting the 7.62 version of the Armageddon Tactical GMS-15*

I've got a TacOps on mine. It seems more solid than the BCM.

I had a hard time getting 1 moa groups with my 16" CL until I changed the stock trigger to a Geissele.

Have had my LMT "slickside" LM8 MRP for about 7-months now and love it.

I've run it hard without any issues in 2 configurations:

(1) In "tactical blaster" mode, it wears the 16" C/L tube w/ BABC, a Leupy Prismatic RD, and factory Sopmod stock.

(2) In "precision"/SPR mode, it wears the 18" SS barrel , a Leupy Mk6 1-6x 34mm in low ADM mount, CTR w/ Larue RISR, and Harris bipod w/ ADM QR mount (not on at time of pic).

Common to both modes are:
Troy Irons; BCM CH; LaRue FUG; Giessele SSA-E trigger; Magpul's MM-1 sling; custom stubby foregrip.

:cool:

This is still one of my favorite threads on Sniper Hide, it's a shame that I have to let my LMT go. What's the average going price for a used LMT MWS now? Specs include a 13.75" Barrel (Cut down by Jared @ American Precision Arms) with a permanently pinned Surefire Muzzle Brake Adapter (Older model, not the SOCOM adapter) that brings it to standards. I have four 20-Round PMAG magazines, Magpul MIAD grip with AR10 attachment, Magpul UBR Stock, Magpul Trigger Guard, Magpul Sling Adapter, Magpul MS3 Sling, Magpul BUIS, and KNS Anti-Roll Pins.

Are you loading 5 rounds per mag? I notice all your groups have one noticeable flier, the bolt locking back might be affecting your groups.

Reactions: LongSchott
Are you loading 5 rounds per mag? I notice all your groups have one noticeable flier, the bolt locking back might be affecting your groups.

Yep, 5 in the mag. I'll try loading up more than 5 to see if that tightens things up. It'll be next weekend before I get around to shooting the groups again.

Reactions: LongSchott
Anyone using 168 grain AMAX's. Can't get them to shoot as well as the 168 grain SMK's despite trying various powders, Varget H4895, 3031.

I'll have to check tomorrow, but I believe my 168A-Max load is with IMR 8208 XBR.

Anyone using 168 grain AMAX's. Can't get them to shoot as well as the 168 grain SMK's despite trying various powders, Varget H4895, 3031.

Never fired a-max through it.
But my pigman shoots 168/175 SMK's lights out

I'll reach out to my buddy who has amax bullets and see if I can work some loads up

Never fired a-max through it.
But my pigman shoots 168/175 SMK's lights out

I'll reach out to my buddy who has amax bullets and see if I can work some loads up

Mine shoots the amax 168 very well. I use IMR 4895 42.5 gr BR2 primers. Winter I went up to 43gr with good results.

My barrel is 20" SS and I use an adjustable gas key on the bcg.

Mine shoots the amax 168 very well. I use IMR 4895 42.5 gr BR2 primers. Winter I went up to 43gr with good results.

My barrel is 20" SS and I use an adjustable gas key on the bcg.

Thanks for the reply. My Load with IMRR 4895 was quite a bitt lighter. I'll try using the load starting at 41grain and increase by 0.3 grains and see how it goes.

Thanks for the reply. My Load with IMRR 4895 was quite a bitt lighter. I'll try using the load starting at 41grain and increase by 0.3 grains and see how it goes.

Good idea...Will tell you, I ran into some funny business which was confirmed twice during my work up. I started with 41.0. Went up every .3, went up to 42.6.

The strange thing I found was my accuracy node appeared good between 41.3 to 41.9, but speed and SD was horrible. Pressure signs, swipes and flat primers, between 41.9 to 42.4, then pressure signs went away at 42.5. for shits and grins I went to 43 when it was cold that load was good. If the weather gets warmer 43 is too hot.

I would be interested to find out what you see.

Thanks and good luck!

Anyone have a range report, or word from the Brit's deployed with them?

Other than their arms are pretty damn beefy now from humping that beast around!

Built like a tank though. I can't complain one bit about mine.

Good idea...Will tell you, I ran into some funny business which was confirmed twice during my work up. I started with 41.0. Went up every .3, went up to 42.6.

The strange thing I found was my accuracy node appeared good between 41.3 to 41.9, but speed and SD was horrible. Pressure signs, swipes and flat primers, between 41.9 to 42.4, then pressure signs went away at 42.5. for shits and grins I went to 43 when it was cold that load was good. If the weather gets warmer 43 is too hot.

I would be interested to find out what you see.

Thanks and good luck!

Mirrors what I have discovered as well... forget running it suppressed as well without an even lower charge or finagling a custom adjustable gas block (which is what ended up happening).

Thanks for the reply. What load did you use and what kind of groups did you get with Varget?

My MWS has a 16" chrome lined barrel and I have found it to be very accurate-1/2"@100yds. These are my loads I have worked up in my rifle, I suggest working up your own loads starting below my charge weights.
168A-max load is 42.5gr of Varget, Federal case, Fed 210M
168SMK load is 43gr IMR 8208 XBR, Federal case, Fed 210M

Here's my MWS. I also love shooting this thing more than anything else. It's wearing a new 18" SS barrel but it's less precise than my 16" CL barrel which is .5 to .75 MOA. I haven't seen too many in the factory dark bronze color so I'm not gonna touch the finish.
Still trying to get the 18" barrel to shoot tho....

Only changes are The Geissele High Speed National Match trigger, JP SCS and extra Tungsten weights, and PRS. Oh, and I love the Lancer L7 mags. Pretty much flawless over the Magpuls.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/c1.staticflickr.com\/3\/2821\/33825320826_cb741c3c85_b.jpg"}[/IMG2]Canon EOS-1D X-EF24-70mm f-2.8L USM-March 31, 2017-11 by Chris Hoesel, on Flickr

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/c1.staticflickr.com\/3\/2902\/33710042462_c0cbae5ddd_b.jpg"}[/IMG2]Canon EOS-1D X-EF24-70mm f-2.8L USM-March 31, 2017-13 by Chris Hoesel, on Flickr

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/c1.staticflickr.com\/3\/2916\/33825320506_0024efca75_b.jpg"}[/IMG2]Canon EOS-1D X-EF24-70mm f-2.8L USM-March 31, 2017-12 by Chris Hoesel, on Flickr

Last edited:
Has anyone heard of a smith that will spin up an MWS barrel yet? My factory 260 barrel just never has been all that impressive and I'd love to upgrade.

Has anyone heard of a smith that will spin up an MWS barrel yet? My factory 260 barrel just never has been all that impressive and I'd love to upgrade.

Nefarious Arms (Marvin Pitts) is well-versed in the MWS conversion process. Send him your barrel/s and he'll put the extension on it. Not sure if you have to send a donor barrel extension or not, but you can find him on Facebook for more info. He does dimpling too as far as I know

I sent a donor .308 barrel to River's Bend Gun Company (Jeff Hayes) and he installed a 22" Bartlein barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm still in the process of breaking it in, but I can already tell my groups will be way tighter than any of my stock LMT barrels.

Jeff Hayes at http://www.riversbendguncompany.com does them as well, he has to cannibalize your extension and sleeve, it will also take 4 months or so in his last estimate. Yet he will use a bartlein and an adjustable gas block. He recommends to use a heavy profile barrel and the SLR gas block, the .936 type.

If you have a spare barrel, he can get that first and then at some point you will need to send the rifle so he can test everything with the new barrel. Or just be without a rifle for the entire time.

Good luck.

Reactions: aku
I sent a donor .308 barrel to River's Bend Gun Company (Jeff Hayes) and he installed a 22" Bartlein barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm still in the process of breaking it in, but I can already tell my groups will be way tighter than any of my stock LMT barrels.

How long did it take?

Jeff quoted 4 months, but mine came back in about 2 months. I sent him a bolt and carrier group as well, so he confirmed headspace and adjusted the gas block before sending the barrel back. Very pleased with the results so far. I plan to attach a can and see how the gas block works soon.

This has probably been covered, but did not see it.

I have an older 308MWS. Probably 2011 / 2012. The lower is labeled "cal 7.62x51mm" and model LM308MWS, ser. LMS xxxx. likewise the barrel is SS and 7.62. I am looking at a newer gun and it looks all the same, but lower is marked Cal .308 and barrel as well .308. Lower is LM308MWS and Ser. L8xxx.

Why the change, and is there any difference?

This has been covered - I believe the answer was that the 7.62 lower and barrel markings were done for awhile because the majority of those guns were to be exported (British) and they preferred the 7.62 designation. Mine is a Dec 2013 and it is all 7.62. I believe LMT said there was no difference in the barrel chamber for either - just the markings.

This has been covered - I believe the answer was that the 7.62 lower and barrel markings were done for awhile because the majority of those guns were to be exported (British) and they preferred the 7.62 designation. Mine is a Dec 2013 and it is all 7.62. I believe LMT said there was no difference in the barrel chamber for either - just the markings.

so, the .308 markings are newer ?