• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

LMT MRP barrel storage

mark5pt56

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2005
Florida
I was thinking on this the other day and was curious if anyone has ever made a storage sleeve for the MRP barrels? An idea I thought of would be a hybrid kydex/nylon. The nylon similar to a muzzle cover and the kydex molded to protect the gas tube/chamber end. The unit could be modular to accommodate various barrel lengths and the kydex would be fixed as that's a constant. On second thought, the nylon sleeve should have min 1/8" closed cell foam and maybe unique to barrel length so it could simply snap onto the kydex.

Thoughts?

WTF is an MRP barrel?

Why would you want or need to store one?

And if you do need to store one, why not KISS and make that shit out of schedule 40 PVC pipe?

ETA: get a better barrel. My one and only LMT barrel came loose from the barrel extension to the point that I could unscrew it by hand. Never again.

https://lmtdefense.com/parts/barrels

Guessing your not familiar with the system? My guess is you had an oddity with your barrel loosening. Yes I could make one from pipe, already looked at it bit want something purposely made for it. Same as TAB makes barrels bags, people buy them and people also store them in pipes or thrown in a bag. Also sounds as if you are jaded against LMT, they make good stuff.

I think your over thinking it. The only reason for your carry case idea would be to field exchange barrels. The point of shift on the mrp/mws isn’t constant your still gonna need to shoot in the rifle again to find zero for the ammo you have. What does your barrel case do that a pelican or similar soft case won’t do. The mrp/mws system wasn’t designed to swap barrels while on mission/hunt but rather to make maintaining your rifle easier. The design has less parts and less nesscary tools with excellent robustness of qc’d parts. That doesn’t change that in the same day I can shoot a prs match then swap barrels and go on a hunt without re zeroing and be 100% sure I can take an animal at 500 plus yards the system just isn’t that constant.

I appreciate your input but I'm well aware of the design and intent. I also understand zero check, repeatability, etc. I'm just looking for something as described, something different for storage and safe transport while in a soft case, mainly to protect the gas tube.

On another forum I have seen guys with 3 barrels in a soft case they have never reported an issue with possibly bending the gas tube. I am not disregarding your thoughts because people treat equipment differently. I don’t think it would be difficult to wrap piece of Kydex around a lmt barrel then drill a couple of spacers or fold a piece of kydex around a barrel. Kinda like a one piece kydex holster for a pistol design just to protect the barrel extension, gas tube and gas block

I might order some material and give it a try when I get some time, see what shakes out.