• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MWS 6.5cm question.

UPSguy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2005
Ohio
I have not been here in a long time and can't think of a better place to ask this question. I am looking at getting this gun.....

https://www.rooftopdefense.com/product/lmt-mars-h-20-6-5cm-dmr-mlok-rifle-extended-rail/

have been reading and researching a lot. Keep seeing threads about gas 6.5cm guns having over gassing issues, beating up the brass issues. See lots of threads about +2 barrels and adjustable gas blocks. Do the stock LMT MWS 6.5 guns have these issues? It's not like I need this gun for any reason but it is a strong want, just needing to know what I'm looking at down the road.

Thank you in advance for any answers.

No gas problem with this at all. Shoots little bitty groups with everything we put in it. 100 percent reliable. No sign of over gassed

Reactions: UPSguy
You'll likely find many posts/comments stating LMTs are "over gassed", LMTs are a rifle designed for military use and for using a wide variety of ammo in varying weather conditions so the gas flow is designed as such. Most semi autos "beat up brass" because its being extracted from the chamber then thrown against the brass deflector very fast with a goal of not pretty brass, but consistent extraction. With LMT you can work with people like D. Wilson to get nice custom barrels and make them shoot softer or get a recoil feel that may be more desirable but I'd echo what Mike said above, the factory barrels have always shot well for me and really never felt a need to change them up.

You'll likely find many posts/comments stating LMTs are "over gassed", LMTs are a rifle designed for military use and for using a wide variety of ammo in varying weather conditions so the gas flow is designed as such. Most semi autos "beat up brass" because its being extracted from the chamber then thrown against the brass deflector very fast with a goal of not pretty brass, but consistent extraction. With LMT you can work with people like D. Wilson to get nice custom barrels and make them shoot softer or get a recoil feel that may be more desirable but I'd echo what Mike said above, the factory barrels have always shot well for me and really never felt a need to change them up.
Actually have an older 14.5" carbine gas length MRP barrel at D. Wilson now getting shortened to 12.5" Have heard lots of good things about him.

Reactions: TangoSierra916
I have the .308. I bought it intending to add 6.5. My best group to date is 1.5 moa. Yeah, perhaps the 6.5 would be better. But I decided to scratch my 6.5 itch with a rifle I knew would work. Why toss good money after bad.

Too me the LMT MWS is a cult gun and some have never shot the groups claimed. Many more brag about a cherry picked 3 round group rather than state there everyday ability with the rifle.

Give it a try but be prepared for it not to live up to the hype.

Reactions: MikeMiller
Come on out to one of our classes in SW Florida. We will show you how ours work.
Any production weapon can have a bad one. I suggest you talk with LMT about yours

I love the ability to change barrels and calibers in a few moments if need be. Have not changed barrels enough to know what doing so does to groups or impact

Reactions: diverdon
I have the .308. I bought it intending to add 6.5. My best group to date is 1.5 moa. Yeah, perhaps the 6.5 would be better. But I decided to scratch my 6.5 itch with a rifle I knew would work. Why toss good money after bad.

Too me the LMT MWS is a cult gun and some have never shot the groups claimed. Many more brag about a cherry picked 3 round group rather than state there everyday ability with the rifle.

Give it a try but be prepared for it not to live up to the hype.
To me, any rifle that is actively used by the military that gets 2.5 moa or below is doing pretty well. If you think the standard man size target being 18 inches wide, that 2.5 moa rifle is good to go out to the range of the ammo.

Reactions: diverdon
Come on out to one of our classes in SW Florida. We will show you how ours work.
Any production weapon can have a bad one. I suggest you talk with LMT about yours

I love the ability to change barrels and calibers in a few moments if need be. Have not changed barrels enough to know what doing so does to groups or impact
Who is "we" and "ours"?

My assistant instructors and I all have 6.5 CM rifles. Mine is the only one not 100 percent factory. Plus a few students have them. They all shoot great. I have been building 1911’s and AR types for close to thirty years so I have a fair understanding of them

For twenty years I designed and ran Tactical Intervention where I did training and made many many precision rifle slings. I sold that company in 2019 but recently formed a new company to be unveiled later this year

Lapua did a short piece on me a few years ago. https://www.lapua.com/lapua-athlete-of-the-week-mike-miller/

It's too bad you weren't looking for one a while back, Titan had the LMT 6.5 on sale for ~3000'ish a couple weeks ago. I was thinking about picking one up and I am not even in the market for it.

It's too bad you weren't looking for one a while back, Titan had the LMT 6.5 on sale for ~3000'ish a couple weeks ago. I was thinking about picking one up and I am not even in the market for it.
I actually was but kept thinking I don't really need this. What got me looking again even though it is more expensive is the new longer rail version. It is stupid to say but I'd rather pay more for the one hiding the gas block. I know, I'm a moron.

The factory LMT MWS in 6.5 CM is a fine rifle. Yes the mouth of the brass will be dented on ejection. But not to the point that it cannot be reloaded. I've found the factory rifle to be 100% reliable. If wanted, there are ways to reduce the amount of gas used to cycle and/or change the buffer weight and spring.

You should checkout this thread:
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/anyone-shooting-a-lmt-mws-in-6-5-creedmoor.7201843/
thanks, watching that one now.

I got a badger condition one mount in 1.70 height for a razor gen 3 1-10x that I was going to put on one of my LMT mrps replacing one of the vortex pst viper gen2 1-6s. I hate the scope, really do, brand new and already listed it for sale. Anyway is the 1.7 too high for the 6.5 MWS if it is mostly going to be shot off a bipod? If it is I can try selling it with the scope and get the 1.54 version instead.

thanks for all the helpful answers, I appreciate it.

Anyway is the 1.7 too high for the 6.5 MWS if it is mostly going to be shot off a bipod? If it is I can try selling it with the scope and get the 1.54 version instead.

Optic height is entirely personal preference. Sure, getting closer to the barrel is nice as your hold over will thank you, but you can run a high optic and be fine. I run a 1.93 on almost all my short action bolty rifles.

Reactions: UPSguy
I got a badger condition one mount in 1.70 height for a razor gen 3 1-10x that I was going to put on one of my LMT mrps replacing one of the vortex pst viper gen2 1-6s. I hate the scope, really do, brand new and already listed it for sale. Anyway is the 1.7 too high for the 6.5 MWS if it is mostly going to be shot off a bipod? If it is I can try selling it with the scope and get the 1.54 version instead.

thanks for all the helpful answers, I appreciate it.

This thread and video from Lowlight may help answer some of your questions about scope height. Some are moving away from the lower scope mounts. I've found that a higher mount is more comfortable and eliminates some issues with getting in the proper position.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...deo-rifle-set-up-lesson-scope-height.7071544/

Optic height is entirely personal preference. Sure, getting closer to the barrel is nice as your hold over will thank you, but you can run a high optic and be fine. I run a 1.93 on almost all my short action bolty rifles.
Real magnified optics are new to me so I was going to ask about your setup. 1) If you zero at 100 yards, you only really need to be aware of the scope height inside of 100 right? 2) I am guessing the thought process is that you are in a more ergonomic position with your head upright? 3) I am also guessing that you can input optic height over bore into ballistic software packages for your dope?

Real magnified optics are new to me so I was going to ask about your setup. 1) If you zero at 100 yards, you only really need to be aware of the scope height inside of 100 right? 2) I am guessing the thought process is that you are in a more ergonomic position with your head upright? 3) I am also guessing that you can input optic height over bore into ballistic software packages for your dope?
Scope height will impact hold over beyond 100, as the angle at which the scope is aligned with 100 yards is more exaggerated the higher you go. The scopes I mount super high are ones where I'm prone with them a ton, and I'm also shooting <500 yards, so basically predator rifles.

Think about it this way, if you're prone, or shooting off a tripod, you can certainly initially position yourself to where you're comfortable and can have a good view for your eyebox. When you're hunting, especially predators (that move around a lot), you need to reposition a good bit, which can put you into a pickle if you have a super low optic that requires you to scrunch up. With a high mounted optic, you don't have to worry about this, as you can get your eyebox situated easily in any position because nothing can interfere. If I'm presented with an opportunity to take a shot, I need to take that shot ASAP, and I can't be bothered to fumble around with positioning too much.

IMG_0270.jpg

Reactions: ut755ln
Yes to all.

The effects of height above bore are factored in with your ballistic software. It should be transparent to you once you extract your data. In terms of longer range dope using a magnified optic zeroed at 100yds a taller HOB is pretty consequence free.

Your height above bore will show up on target at close range with any HOB or optic. Not just tall ones or magnified optics. Generally speaking, your bullet is within .100 inch of your line of sight from about 80 yd to 115 yd on a 100-yard zero. So anything 50 yd and out is going to be extremely inconsequential.

Reactions: ut755ln