• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MWS Barrel change issue

Count_Warheit

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2021
Texas
I recently purchased an LMT MWS with a .338 Federal barrel. Haven't fired it yet but wanted to swap out the barrels. I removed both of the bolts and could not get the barrel to even budge. I had to end up pulling the bolt back and letting it go forward to even get it to move. I eventually got it out after a long fight and using the bolt to push it out. I tried to put another barrel in and that was difficult as well. I was able to eventually get it back in but the forward bolt now will not slide back in. I can see that there doesn't appear to be anything blocking it but it still wont go in. Any suggestions and is there something I am doing wrong? I was under the assumption it was not suppose to be this difficult.

Bolt carrier group removed or at least locked back? Your post reads as though you were trying to remove the barrel with the bolt locked into the barrel extension.

Bolt carrier group removed or at least locked back? Your post reads as though you were trying to remove the barrel with the bolt locked into the barrel extension.
Yes BCG was removed. I was trying to say I had to put it back in and use the force of it being released to loosen the barrel as it would not budge. Then once the barrel was pushed out some I took out the BCG and had to get the barrel out.

Reactions: Jsp556
I’ve never had that problem. I’d remove the barrel again and make sure the chassis was clean in the area where the barrel seats. If that didn’t work I’d try LMT customer service.

It shouldn’t be very difficult. I’m sure you’ve already taken this into consideration, but if you have MLOK rails did you remember to remove the rubber rail covers that come with them?

Not sure if that’s make sense with what you were saying about the bolt but sometimes ppl forget about the simple things.

My MWS 16" 308 barrel is very tight and requires some effort to remove and install. But it's nothing extreme and reflexes the tight tolerances. So I'm fine with it.

I've had to pull the bolt back after removing both barrel screws with every LMT I've owned as well, after that though its usually pretty smooth.

Which upper design do you have on the MWS? (quad rail/mlok, etc) I ask because I've had more tension/sticking points with the non-quad rail uppers for the barrel removal.