• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MWS or FN SCAR 17?

Not a scar fan. Put a trigger in one for a friend and set up his scope for him. Fed it quality factory (fgmm) and handloads and was not impressed over all. I'm a small guy so size was good, just didn't love the fit. That said, I say hold em both and see what ya like. I bet you can find someone who has one you can check out. Just like any other sports I love that cost a lot of $, I always try to get some time with the gear before I drop a lot of $.

What do you want to do with it?

Curious as to what the Hide likes. There are a few SCARs on GB, and you would have to hunt a little for a slick side MWS, but approx. same price point, both 16", but somewhat different designs.

Would the SCAR keep up with the LMT at long range, or is the SCAR the way to go with adequate accuracy for 0-600yards, which to me is a very comfortable range for the .308?

I've got no dog in this fight, had a LMT and really liked it. Have shot the SCAR, no problems, I could see where/why FN was going.

This is sort of an informal poll. Many guys on the Hide own one, or the other, just wondering what the Hide thinks.

I just don't see the scar holding up to the LMT especially at 600yards.

scar = battle rifle

lmt = DMR

Curious as to what the Hide likes. There are a few SCARs on GB, and you would have to hunt a little for a slick side MWS, but approx. same price point, both 16", but somewhat different designs.

Would the SCAR keep up with the LMT at long range, or is the SCAR the way to go with adequate accuracy for 0-600yards, which to me is a very comfortable range for the .308?

I've got no dog in this fight, had a LMT and really liked it. Have shot the SCAR, no problems, I could see where/why FN was going.

This is sort of an informal poll. Many guys on the Hide own one, or the other, just wondering what the Hide thinks.

The Scar is a 1-1.5 minute gun, the LMT is better but 1.5-2 lbs heavier. Given todays Gunbroker prices the scar will cost a little more because you'll need to replace the trigger. For shooting hogs or hiking in bear country I think the SCAR wins, for a dedicated long range or match rig the LMT is likely going to be much better.

As others have said, different guns for different purposes. Having owned both, I would definitely choose the LMT for a precision role and definitely choose the SCAR for anything "run and gun." The weight difference is a lot more profound in your hands than it looks on paper.

As far as reliability, I would not hesitate to trust either.

I have the LMT a little heavier, but it will with stand the beating. Kind of like the USO scope, beefy.

LMT MWS (18" SS) with a Leupy MK 4 6.5-22. A chunk to carry but a pleasure to shoot. Likes the 168 SMK, also the 165 Sierra HPBT. Shoots way better than I can...

I have a SCAR 17 w/ USO 1.5-6, & I love it. I put a Timney trigger in it, but it's not 100% reliable with steel cased ammo. I wish I would have put a USO 1-8 on it;)

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with a scar, but I own a 16" LMT MWS. This is my first AR after running bot guns for a long time. I will say that I'm pleased with my purchase. I have found loads for these bullets- 168 SMK, 168 AMAX, 168 Berger classic hunter, 175 SMK, 178 AMAX. This gun is not picky and I'm enjoying having it in my line-up. Now if I can get it to shoot well suppressed...........

The SCAR.

Just as accurate as the MWS, Lighter, more ergonomic, lower recoil, High mono rail for scope.

Both great rifles. Had them both. Have a SCAR17 now. Love the weight and recoil of it. My SCAR shoots just as good as my LMT ever did using FGM 175s. If you want a real precision semi auto get a GAP 10. You can get them with a 16" barrel if you wish. Will easily group better then the scar or LMT.

Owned both and the scar was not for me.... Of the two, I'd go with the MWS. Aftermarket parts (such as triggers, BCG, barrels, etc) are common. I felt that the scars recoil impulse was horrible compared to any other DI 7.62. The LMT is a great rifle, but I'd much rather own another OBR or JP 7.62 (the JP is a Swiss watch in the ar world and my OBR ran with custom bolt guns in the accuracy department).

best of luck.

Reactions: Itsadryheat
Depends . . . as others have said. I havent owned any 308 ars and was done trying to make a precision rig out of my M1A. I had begun my search for a semi-auto 308 when I discovered the SCAR 17. Compared it to other 308 ars and the light weight of the SCAR blew me away. Research on the net is all positive, except for the reciprocating ch. I have yet to shoot mine but most report MOA or better accuracy results. I sold my M1A and M4gery to fund the SCAR. I'm hoping it'll be my "all around" gun.

Certainly not calling anyone out on this, but I think a SCAR 17 would really struggle with the MWS in the accuracy department. My MWS is freakishly accurate. So accurate I'm superstitious about changing the 16" barrel out to try a 20" for fear I won't ever get it to shoot as well again! Granted, my MWS has a few minor mods (Geissele trigger, flatwire recoil spring, and Surefire MB) but it will consistently shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA with factory hornady 168 amax match. Even my wife (who is a novice shooter at best) put a 1 MOA group together at 350y with it.

On the other hand, the MWS does give up some things in the modularity and weight dept to the SCAR.

Last edited:
Reactions: dollarrbill
I've really been eyeballing the LMT myself. I'm looking at a LMT .308 LM8 MWS. I don't know that much about them yet. Aren't you supposed to be able to change out the barrels really easily? Can you change the cartridge relatively easy as well? Could I put a .260 barrel on .308 LMT LM8 MWS? I don't know that much about .260 yet either, but I'm assuming the .260 would use the same case head size as the .308 (like the .243 and .308), so you would be able to use the same BCG and Mag. Is that correct?

.308,7-08,.260,6.5CM,.243-----Same Magazine and Bolt, just change the barrel (1+ Minutes), shoot. (you will have to re-zero your sights).
It works really well.

Both are nice. Scar mandates a new trigger as the factory one is awful.

Why not consider the JP LRP-07. Lighter than MWS if set up that way and at least as accurate if not more. I've got alittle time with all three but own the JP.

Also the sig 716 would be cheaper than any and I know they shoot well also. The one I tested briefly was grouping at 1" with a Geissele trigger.

.308,7-08,.260,6.5CM,.243-----Same Magazine and Bolt, just change the barrel (1+ Minutes), shoot. (you will have to re-zero your sights).
It works really well.
What's a good price for a new one? I know where there is one in stock for $2449. It has the CL 20" .308 barrel.

I think anything under $2500 for CL and under $3000 for SS is a decent price (pretty much pre-craziness price), the slick forearm models may be a bit more.

Why is there such a premium for the "slick side" upper? Is the only difference the forearm? Instead of having rails it's just a smooth forearm? Is there something else different?

The slick sides are lighter (maybe 1/2 Lb.) and newer/more scarce. Weight is usually a top complaint against the MWS.
As far as I know the only difference is the forearm.

Reactions: thedude824
Time for me to dig into the safe for something else to sell....I went ahead and scooped it up! Pretty happy about my purchase. I've been wanting to have a .308 AR, but also wanted something in the 6mm/6.5mm realm. Now, I have ALL of those bases covered!

Sorry OP...didn't mean to jack your thread.

I have a Nightforce NXS 3-15 MLR, perfect match for the MWS (tough long range scope on a tough AR-10).

Sorry, this was meant for the thread below yours, but my vote is for the MWS. It took a while for me to shoot the AR-10 platform accurately (its harder than a bolt rifle), but it is now shooting sub-moa at 100 yards.

Certainly not calling anyone out on this, but I think a SCAR 17 would really struggle with the MWS in the accuracy department. My MWS is freakishly accurate. So accurate I'm superstitious about changing the 16" barrel out to try a 20" for fear I won't ever get it to shoot as well again! Granted, my MWS has a few minor mods (Geissele trigger, flatwire recoil spring, and Surefire MB) but it will consistently shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA with factory hornady 168 amax match. Even my wife (who is a novice shooter at best) put a 1 MOA group together at 350y with it.

On the other hand, the MWS does give up some things in the modularity and weight dept to the SCAR.

SCAR's are known for being VERY accuract. FN makes very accuracte CL barrels as has been proven for years in the SPR line.
Last SCAR tests I watched was from Military Arms and was a SCAR 17 vs a REPR. The SCAR won.

MWS offers little over the SCAR. SCAR is a much better all around choice and the only area lacking is a VERY VERY small accuracy difference, if any. Not enough to make a difference anyway.

I have no experience with the MWS.

On the other hand I do have a bit of experience with the SCAR-H (17). We on the whole have been rather impressed by the SCAR. One of the teams did a long range competition between two SOTIC grads, one had a M-110 and one a SCAR-H. The SCAR won. Accuracy seems to run in the 1 moa range with some a little better and some a little worse. Having a lightweight battle rifle with the accuracy and punch of a DM rifle is a very good thing in my opinion.

If/when the SCARs get down to about the $2000 range I will pick one up. I have a hard time justifying almost $3000 for a battle rifle. Who knows, maybe FN will come out with a Mk17 Mod1 before long.

I have no experience with the MWS.

On the other hand I do have a bit of experience with the SCAR-H (17). We on the whole have been rather impressed by the SCAR. One of the teams did a long range competition between two SOTIC grads, one had a M-110 and one a SCAR-H. The SCAR won. Accuracy seems to run in the 1 moa range with some a little better and some a little worse. Having a lightweight battle rifle with the accuracy and punch of a DM rifle is a very good thing in my opinion.

If/when the SCARs get down to about the $2000 range I will pick one up. I have a hard time justifying almost $3000 for a battle rifle. Who knows, maybe FN will come out with a Mk17 Mod1 before long.

SCAR 17's won't ever come down in price to 2,000. Dealer cost is 2499 at this time. Up from low 24's from last year.

I say that you need to define the purpose of the rifle before making the decision. I have the Scar as my battle rifle and had a mws for my medium range marksman rifle. I ended up selling my mws and building a mega arms mkm with all light weight jp rifles match parts. In the end I have a rifle that I feel fit the bill for the purpose of the medium marksman. I did not need the modularity of the mws as I knew what I wanted from the get go and a custom built rifle exactly the way I wanted to me made more sense.

MWS. 13.5" 7.62 CL barrel, 18" 7.62 SS barrel, 24" 6.5 CM SS barrel.