• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT Piston Upper vs PWS piston upper vs LMT DI

david walter

Insightful commentator
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
Out west, but not too far west
Looking at 5.56 11.5" uppers.

Will run a 308 can on the rifle or pistol.

Any feedback based on real world use?

I have a AAC 7.62 SDN can in 308, and it ran fine with my 16" DI LMT upper, but was 23" OAL and a bit unruly for a fighting platform.

Might SBR a lower or shoot the pistol lower until/if Pedo Joe gets in.

I'm a big fan of pistons. Runs cleaner so it runs more reliable. They say that recoil is slightly increased and accuracy is slightly lowered, but neither are an issue for me for a fighting rifle, I have 12inch LMT and 12-inch Barret pistons.

I run a LMT 12" piston upper with a Surefire socom. It's been reliable and it is a little bit softer recoil than a 10.5" DI setup . The Piston setup is a little bit heavier so that's some of the perceived recoil.

Any op rod/tappet AR pattern system that isn't a short-barreled HK is fucking pointless.
- Sincerely, a guy that spent the the better part of a decade avoiding DI AR's and pissing away tons of cash on dozens of HK 416 uppers.

Given how much the gun community wants to brag about not cleaning guns, the "shit where it eats" argument is as stupid as it is wrong.