• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LNL AP ??

Jedi

Team AndiCapp
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2003
Mountains
Wondering what order and type of dies you guys are using for 223 mass production

here what i,m thinking, station #

1. resize

2. prime

3.powder and flare case mouth

4. seat bullet

5. Taper crimp

Did i miss something? or maybe there is better way of doing this?

What you guys running in yours? Die manufacturer would be helpful as hurting for powder thru and flare die and taper crimp die.

Already have redding FL sizer and comp seater die

Re: LNL AP ??

Why are you flaring 223 brass? I thought this was only something done to straight walled cases with flat base bullets. Also, unless you're shooting full auto I don't think you need to crimp the bullets, I haven't ever crimped one for my AR15 and I haven't had a single issue for about 6000 reloads between 2 different rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Karl2U</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=338094#Post338094

based on this and i,m using flat base bullets </div></div>

Gotcha, it was unclear from what I was reading above. I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing, I switched to 55gr FMJBT's for mass produced ammo for the simple reason that they seated easier and I noticed no difference in accuracy on my AR because of it.

My AR is setup for sub 200 yard shots with the ReflexII sight that I use. I've put it to 350 once, it hit the rocks I was aiming at, but it's not my "go to" gun for anything beyond 200.

Karl.... crimp your autoloading ammo... why take the chance.

That said, I have run "umpteen" thousands of LnL ammo through my AR's and have had no problems. I run the same sequence as you except the old case kicking wire interferes with the Lee crimp die. The new retro ezject kit will fix that problem for me.

Kool
just wanna get a sanity ck on full progressive loading n any tricks to make it smooth n quick

I am running a l-n-l AP as well. I've never crimped anything I run through my AR's. Never had an issue. I've also ran flat base without flaring. If your chamfers are good and you are a little careful the press should do the work for you. I guess if you don't want to chamfer and deburr the cases per the article you could flare but I load everything the same for all rifles.

I resize in station one, then check trim, deburr, chamfer etc. after resizing about every time I reload. Then run my brass through the tumbler to remove the lube. Then prime (2), powder (3)and seat bullets (5). I usually leave a space between the powder and bullet seating to visually check the powder levels in random cases.

<span style="font-style: italic">-edit-</span> Using all hornady dies

I don't think Hornady (or anyone else) makes powder-through expander dies/inserts for .223 caliber. Would be too small for reliable powder drop.

On the AP, priming happens between stations 1 and 2, so you have room for

1 size/deprime
1.5 prime
2 expand/bell
3 dump powder
4 seat
5 crimp

2 and 3 are interchangeable.

Andy