• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load data for Berger's 185gr Juggs in a 308 win?

I have a gen2 700 5R, and I got one pretty dialed. 46.8gr of 2000MR, bullet seated at 2.208 ogive, Lapua brass, and Federal 210M primer. I had tried seating them longer originally, but pulling them back tightened up the groups quite a bit, as well as the GM primers from CCI BR2's. I haven't tried them with Varget yet, but I really like the extra speed from the 2000MR. This load gets me a little over 2650fps, on a magnetospeed. On my first test loads with the powder, I ran them over 2700fps, but the accuracy wasn't there. The 185 Juggs are winners, though. I may sell off my 175 SMKs and stick to the Jugg.

Lapua Palma brass, CCI SRMag primer 43.5g to 43.9g Varget very good in my AI/AT. 44gr Varget in Hornady match brass very good but too HOT! Loads safe in my rifle, suggest you load by manufactures data (my loads are above recommended Maximum and I cannot guarantee their safety, so beware!Tested yesterday, 55 degrees, 43.9g Varget , shoots bugholes at 100yds. Over max so would advise working up slowly from 39 g!!!!! Use loading advice at your own risk!

kujuak, have you tried and seen a difference between standard and magnum small primers in the Palma brass?

I use the mag primers because everything I read indicated one should use the magnum primers with the Palma (small primer size) Lapua brass. The load I mentioned and a load 1 and 2 grains less are giving me groups< 1/2" at 100 yds. So I can see no reason to change.

Was out yesterday in light rain,49degessF. 1959Ft elevation. Berger 185 Juggernaught,43.9g Varget, Lapua Palma, CCI SRMag primer, Avg 2608.7 FPS, MOA out to 600yds out of my AI/AT, 26" barrel.Only problem I'm having is seating Juggernaughts to same OAL. I am using an old(30yrs!) RCBS Micometer match seating die..Haven't tried sorting bullets by length.The meplat on these bullets is quite uneven, so I guess I could spend money on a meplat trimmer for $30. Anybody use one of these? I am afraid of morphying into an OCD benchrest shooter with a candy apple red airbrushed 20lb rail gun....which is just not me;), so guys help me out here.

You can avoid the meplat problem altogether by using the cartridge base to ogive length; I don't load anything in centerfire rifle using COL. My .308 is a Remington 5R with the traditional long throat so crowding the lands isn't an option. I use a 2.225 base to ogive length with 40.5 gr of IMR 4064; it's my hero load. Standard disclaimer; your mileage may vary (YMMV).

So what type of bullet seating set up do you use to seat by base to ogive length? Do you have to have different parts to seat bullets with different profiles? eg. Juggernaught vs, Sierra MK Tipped?Thanks for any enlightenment!

So what type of bullet seating set up do you use to seat by base to ogive length? Do you have to have different parts to seat bullets with different profiles? eg. Juggernaught vs, Sierra MK Tipped?Thanks for any enlightenment!

I don't don't do anything special; typically all I do is use the SAMI reccomended OAL as a base line and then find a base to ogive length that suits me. I like numbers that end in 0 or 5. You'll need some sort of bullet comparator measuring device: I use the Hornady, there are others. Using the ogive length is the only way to get the .005, .015 or .010 'jump' you read about in many precision related threads. That is the amount of freebore between the ogive of the bullet and grooves and lands of your barrel. In the case of my .308, if I try to get that close, I don't have enough bullet in the case to hold it. I have a .243 that is the same way. My mantra for handloading is consistancy, so when find a length that works, I stick with it, over and over. I load my precision AR15 the same way; OAL is dictated by magazine length, so I just settle on base to ogive length that allows chambering.

With respect to bullet profiles, yes, the base to ogive length between a Juggernaught and SMK will be considerably different; but that's what you have a notebook for, right?! If you load different bullets you'll just have to adjust your seating die accordingly. Been there, done that; nothing wrong with it. My .308 is closing in on end of life for the barrel, so I bought enough Juggernaughts to finish it off. Once I rebarrel it, I'll start the process all over again.