• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Load Development - 243 Win Rem700 95gr Berger VLD Hunting RL-19 & RL22 HELP Please

LoanHarvey

I am Harvdog!
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2014
Walla Walla, WA
www.loanharvey.com
I sure could use some suggestions please. I have had a difficult time with load development in my 243. I have attached 2 pictures of some promising loads with the Berger 95gr VLD Hunter using RL-19 and RL-22. Any recommendations on where I should go from here based on what you see in the pics would be very much appreciated. There is one load in the RL-19 with no flyers, and a few more with 2 very close and 1 stray, which could have just been me. Any advise on what I should try next would be most excellent. Please give me some guidance on next steps.
Many Thanks!!
LoanHarvey

Attachments

• 243 Board 1 Resized.jpg
    243 Board 1 Resized.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 243 Board 2 Resized.jpg
    243 Board 2 Resized.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 71
The powder you use and to some degree the charge weight seldom makes or breaks accuracy in a rifle. It's about bullets and seating depth first then adjust the powder charge.
Try different bullets.
When I go to tune up a rifle I take one powder and four different bullets with my press to the range.
In order of importance.
1. The rifle has to like the bullet. Nothing else matters until this is sorted out.
2. The seating depth has to be right if applicable.
3. Then play with the powder.

As with women sexy bullets aren't always the best performers.

Last edited:
Hard to argue with Mr Tooley's advice above. The only thing I could add is this, have you attempted different seating depths? I have found that Bergers VLDs like to be touching the lands or as close as possible (look at the 44.5gr of RL-19). If you don't have any success after that, might be time to try a different bullet.

I run my Remy 700 243 with the Berger 95 VLD bullets as well, I use 44 grs of H4350 and have the bullets just touching the lands they shoot half inch groups at 100 yds. Back the powder off and try 20 thou into the lands and work up to the upper node.
Cheers

The Berger guidelines for bullet seating offer good recommendations for bullet seating depth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Follow Dave Tooleys advice as well as Bergers VLD loading tips. Don't feel bad if you can't get that bullet to shoot in your rifle though because as mentioned VLD's generally like to be right at the lands which is hard to do with Remington's long throats. If you can't make it work I'd suggest trying the 95gr classic hunter, they aren't picky about jumps like the VLD's are.

This is very sexy advice, thank you Mr. Tooley! At 10 thousands off the lands, the bullet is barely seated, something like .065. So seating at the lands or jamming would not work in the deep throat I have. :) I just read Berger's seating guidance, so I will try that and report back. If their method works by jumping them by (.05, .09 & .13) then maybe they will actually load into the gun and not have to single load. Thank you all very much for your guidance.

The powder you use and to some degree the charge weight seldom makes or breaks accuracy in a rifle. It's about bullets and seating depth first then adjust the powder charge.
Try different bullets.
When I go to tune up a rifle I take one powder and four different bullets with my press to the range.
In order of importance.
1. The rifle has to like the bullet. Nothing else matters until this is sorted out.
2. The seating depth has to be right if applicable.
3. Then play with the powder.

As with women sexy bullets aren't always the best performers.

Ten Thousands Jam Compressed.jpg

I tried the 95gr Berger VLD Hunter at 10 inside, on the lands, 10 off, 20 off, 50 off, 90 off and 130 off after reading the Berger guidelines. Attached is the photo of 6 shots (2 Three shot groups) at 10/1000 into the lands.
These seem to group very well compared to all the others. The load is 44.5gr of RL-19. Now that I know the gun will shoot this bullet and I know the seating depth it likes, what other recommendations should I be considering now. I suppose I need to see if this will group at the same MOA out at longer ranges. I also suspect I should be looking at the velocity variation in this particular load and it they are tight, I am probably good to go, and if not try a different powder combination where the velocity deviations are smaller. Am I on track here? Any further guidance would be appreciated. Thank you!

Look for pressure signs. Ejector pin mark, primer cratering which may or may not indicate high pressure. I usually find my best/most consistent load just short of being on the warm side. Take a few rounds increase the powder charge .5 grs at a time and shoot them looking for pressure. An ejector pin mark means you've exceeded the yield point of the brass. Reduce your load and leave a little room for temperature spikes. Your seating depth is already on the extreme end for higher pressure so you should be able to determine your max load for that bullet and with the bullet touching the lands. After that the target tells you what's going on.

What was your aim point? Holding the center of a 2 MOA square isn't going to give you the best groups.

Hi Danley, I put the cross hairs centered between the cards all the cards (vertical and horizontal in the white between the cards), that way I knew I was aiming at the exact same spot each time, and the grouping came out real well with the small 3 round groups. Had the one little flyer on the bottom target. Thoughts?

My Rem 700 shoots the 95 VLD's at a OAL of 2.882, thats just kissing the lands with 39.8 of IMR 4350 and if I do
my part it will shot .3's all day long.
I have played with the seating depth and it also shoots well at ten thousand off the land.

My dad's 243 R700 with factory barrel in a PSS stock shot 1/2" with the Berger 95 classic Hunters and IMR 4350. Still regret giving that rifle back to him after holding on to for a year or 5.

Ryan

05.13.2014 243 Ladder Test Compressed2.jpg

I ran a 400 yard ladder test today and have attached the picture for your help on next recommended steps please. At the range, it is hard to do this because usually there are several people on the line. Today I got lucky and was the only one there, so I could drive down and mark each one. Next steps? Try another ladder, or shoot some 3 shot groups ranging in the area between the 4th and 5th shot (45.0gr and 45.5 gr) Any helpful insight you can give me would be appreciated. Thank you!