• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load development question. bullets

prodigalson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2012
Butler, PA
I am going to be starting load development for a "custom" 260. My question: should I start by just buying a box of 100 bullets or should I try and save a few bucks and buy a larger amount at one time? I understand that some bullets can be finicky, and its kinda like rolling the dice. Just wanted some other people's input. Thanks.

for myself I start with 1 box of 100 to see if my rifle even likes it. then if it performs well or seems like a possible candidate for a good load I will buy the larger 250 or 500 box. that way you have all bullets from the same batch.

I start out by getting a few different boxes of bullets, small quantities. Once I find what shoots well, I just load up the ones that my gun doesn't like, and use them as warm up rounds for right after cleaning the barrel, or just to get in the zone when I first get to the range.

I think that's an easier method than trying to offload a bunch of bullets, and the risk of taking a loss on a large quantity.

I don't know how common .260 is, but you might be able to borrow/bum/buy a small quantity from a helpful local shooter to find out what shoots well in your rifle.

Just plan ahead, if you plan on shooting mag length, then pick a tangent or hybrid ogive bullet. If to the lands a secant or any of the others should shoot well. Also twist rate, bullet weight are other considerations.

So you should be pretty safe picking up a bulk box of Amax bullets, but the Hornady BTHP may not do as well.

Aside that, considering the current reloading drought, you should be able to move anything you do not decide to keep.

If its any help for further recommendations, my rifle is a REM 700, match chamber, 8 twist barrel. I was going to start with 139 or 136 scenars. And as far as my planning. My intentions are to start at the lands and back off as needed.

Last edited: