• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Load info needed for .308 Barnes TSX2 150 gr

kyabrams66

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2004
Richmond, Kentucky
I picked up 3 boxes of these bullets from a member here some time ago and am getting ready to load them up but am looking for some input.

The data from the Barnes site only shows BLC2 and H4895 powder loads for this weight. I have the BLC2 powder on hand but was concerned since this is going to be my hunting round about the temp sensitivity of that powder. It's mid 90's here now and when I plan on hunting it would most likely be 30's. So if I did load testing in the mid 90's how reliable is that data going to be when fired in the 30's?

I normally use Varget for my target ammo reloading but after doing a search here found people saying that when they used Varget with the TSX2 bullet that the load was so compressed that they couldn't get proper seating depth.

In short I'm trying to load Barnes TSX2 150 gr shooting out of a Rem 700 .308 22" factory sporter barrel. Target will be whitetail and range will no more than 300 yds.

I have Varget, IMR 4895 and BLC-2 on hand. Does anyone have real world experience with these powders used with this bullet and weight that they would care to share? Thanks

Re: Load info needed for .308 Barnes TSX2 150 gr

Just start with the recommended load for 155's. Should get you close. Start low and work up.

Eddie

I'd start at 45 grains of Varget and work up.
I've used that load with 175's and I can't imagine the Barnes being that much longer than a 175.

shooting 44 gr. of varget behind a 168 gr amax , it does excelent, have shot up to 46 so your safe starting with 45 with 150s

44 gr of varget with 168 gr amax got best accuracy out of 4 different guns though so that my pet load mine are loaded at 2.800 feed great, shoot great out of my tikka,a lawton and 2 rem 700.s