• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loading 7-08ai with .260ai Redding S series neck bushing die?

wadcutter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
NSW Australia
www.austargets.com
I'm after some reloading die advice on loading my 7-08ai.

I have a standard set 7-08ai dies but they produce excessive neck tension. So I want to use the Redding S series neck bushing dies to get better control over neck tension and maybe improve accuracy a bit.

Redding S series 7-08ai dies are unobtainable but I can get .260ai S series dies easily. Is it possible to neck size a 7-08ai case with a .260ai neck bushing die if I simply change out the bushing for the correct size to suit the 7-08ai case?

I know there is a small lip that the bushing sits on but is it going to interfere with the slightly larger neck?

I do not know, however I have been told that the body part is all the same on these dies, still thinking more closely on the matter, the bushings are so thick/wide that I really cannot se how there would be a lip for the neck to be caught on. So if it would have been me, I would have gone for it. /Chris

Providing both are actually Ackley improved and not a other version the bushing is the only thing different.

Sweet. Thanks for the help.
I will order a set and see how it works.

Recently I was attempting a very similar thing; trying to load the 7mm variant of a cartridge using the 6.5mm variant Redding type S dies. Here's what it needed to work:

Ream out the seating die stem bore to .2845", and replace the 6.5mm stem with a 7mm one.

Have the bore (in the sizing die) the neck must pass through to reach the bushing enlarged. This part is hardened and needed to be ID ground. The diameter, as delivered, was ~.298" and needs to be more like ~.325". Most 7mm chambers have at least a .315" neck.

With these mods, it works perfectly.

I can put you in touch with a tool/die guy specializing in firearms stuff that can perform these mods for very fair money.

Or..you could have the existing die honed out to suit you...or modded to take a bushing, or just use an expander mandrel after sizing...Lots of options, really. What brand dies do you have now?

Last edited:
Recently I was attempting a very similar thing; trying to load the 7mm variant of a cartridge using the 6.5mm variant Redding type S dies. Here's what it needed to work:

Ream out the seating die stem bore to .2845", and replace the 6.5mm stem with a 7mm one.

Have the bore (in the sizing die) the neck must pass through to reach the bushing enlarged. This part is hardened and needed to be ID ground. The diameter, as delivered, was ~.298" and needs to be more like ~.325". Most 7mm chambers have at least a .315" neck.

With these mods, it works perfectly.

I can put you in touch with a tool/die guy specializing in firearms stuff that can perform these mods for very fair money.

Or..you could have the existing die honed out to suit you...or modded to take a bushing, or just use an expander mandrel after sizing...Lots of options, really. What brand dies do you have now?

I neck turn my brass to .309" so not a lot to hone out to let the neck through to the bushing.