• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loading range for xbr 8208

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    I just got my Processed once fired LC brass so I'm finally ready to go! My components are

Processed once fired Lc
    Cci #41primers
    77gr smk's
    8208 xbr powder

I plan on doing an ocw test to find a load for my Daniel defense 16" 1/7 ar15. What is the range I should test or this combo of components and increments I need to test in?

I suspect that the rifle will be used mostly for <200 yds but I'm assuming the 77 smk's to leave open the possibility of 600+.

Re: Loading range for xbr 8208

Thanks for the official numbers.I know that they test in in X barrel under X conditions and that many times it can differ wildly depending on platform and brass . My numbers have always been greatly different from the official ranges for my other calibers. So I was hoping to find real world numbers for the ar15 with LC brass. Tried searching online but seems the xbr is a 'newer' powder and didn't find as much on it.

I have used a greater than listed charge of 8208xbr with 75 and 77 gr. OTM bullets with good results. As always please work up your loads for your rifle carefully. I have gone over 24 grains in LC brass in my rifle, fired cases start showing signs of pressure about 24.5 gr. in mine so that is where I stopped. My favorite AR load is 24 grains of XBR with a Hornady 68 gr Match in LC brass. I started out at 23.0 gr. and worked up in .2 grain increments with both the 68 and 75 grain Hornady bullets. I found the best accuracy with the 24 grain load and the 68 grain bullet.

Are you guys doing ocw at the 100 yards still or backing it down to 50.

I'm gonna have to take my eotech red dot off and put on a scope temporarily for load development I think.... I'm not even sure if any of my scopes will fit on there though!

I settled on 22.5 with a 75 Hornady bthp. 2620fps out of my 20" 1-8.

The two best nodes for my WOA 20" (1-7) were around 22.6gr (2660 fps) and 23.2gr (2750 fps). I went with the 23.2 since it shot a little better over a few large groups and had a lower SD. Conventional wisdom over on the NM Forums puts the best charge at 23.2gr for the 75-77gr bullets.

I also use the same charge with the Nosler 80gr CC (seated long) and get 2720 fps.

My load:
    Win NT 5.56 brass
    Nolser 77gr CC bullet seated to ~2.255
    Wolf SRM primer
    23.2gr 8208XBR

you will also hit another node at 24.0. yes its above max but still doesent show any issues.

What am I looking for with pressure in an Ar-15? Seems like a lot of things wouldn't apply since you don't run a bolt manually

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What am I looking for with pressure in an Ar-15? Seems like a lot of things wouldn't apply since you don't run a bolt manually </div></div>

Flattened primers will be the first sign, if you plan to load hot be aware that you will not get many loadings out of your brass due to primer pockets becoming loose with the pressure involved. If you blow or pierce a primer then you are certainly too hot.

As stated in one of the previous posts, going max with the 75 or 77 OTM bullets will usually not give the best accuracy. I have found that I can shoot 24 gr. of XBR with either the 75gr Hornady or the 77gr Sierra without trouble in LC brass that is once fired. My rifle may be a little more accurate with a load around 23.4gr of XBR and the 75 grain Hornady.

I do all of the accuracy shooting at 100yds for group. Yes, it is much easier to shoot these rifles accurately with a good scope and a solid shooting position like a bench with a rest or prone on a bipod.
    YMMV with a red dot sight.

For my rifles, upper-mid range charges have worked best across the board from 55gr to 77 gr bullets. I can push them a little faster with good accuracy using Varget, but settled on 8208 due to metering.

Some of the guys here stated good results with over max charges. In my case, in my rifles and my loading tolerances, perceived pressures started spiking at published max. YMMV.

Are you guys just seating to mag length or actually measuring out how far your lands are and basing it off that?

Loading to mag length.

Mag length for the 68/75 gr Hornady match and 77gr SMK. There are a few bullets in this weight range that will not fit at mag length such as the 75 gr. AMAX. These long bullets could be fired by single loading at which point your over all length should be tuned to that which provides the most accuracy in your rifle.

I run 23.1 gr. with both 77 SMK's and 75 Hornady 75 BTHP's .
    If I were you I would save some money and run the 75's if your only shooting to 200 and save the SMK's for longer distances.
    FWIW my last trip to TVP I shot the 77's out to 1000 with very good results.

Thanks for the info gents, not a lot of info on this 8208 powder with 77's.

Im on the same path as you. Been doing some testing with CFE223, ARComp, TAC and 8208XBR.

Of the powders Im liking 8208XBR the most so far for how it runs in my Dillon and what it does on paper.

Im only able to shoot using BUIS so Im not getting "precision" results but Im liking 22.9 grn XBR with Nos 77cc at 2.26 Coal (1.883 ogive or there abouts). The rifle is a 16 inch 1/7 chrome lined LMT.

P3025734_zps44674f11.jpg

I have a proper OCW loaded up but Im holding out that my scope will come soon to help with picking a load.

Please keep me in your loop with what you find out and Ill update if I find anything worth passing on.

I've been shooting 8208xbr at 23.3-23.3 with 77 SMKs & Noslers without much difference, a higher node at 23.9-24.0 is just as accurate and a about 70 fps faster out of both a Bushy Service Match 1-8, Shilen 20" "ratchet" 1-8 and Wilson 18" SPR builds as F/TR's with T-36's, but I prefer the lighter load. All are Wylde's and hold the 10 ring out to 600 - only dropping 8-12 for three strings of 20. Bottom line the lighter load works very well and the brass takes less of a beating with the lighter load and are as very accurate for XTC or F/TR Mid-Range. I have plenty of 8208, but I've been playing with 2000MR and the light node (just below Alliant's 25.2 Max) is around 24.8, but I'm really liking the AR Comp at 23.5 AR Comp for the 77's which is showing a lot of promise, but 8208 is hard to beat, I'm saving my Varget for the last 1K or so of 75gr AMAX's and is a bit more accurate at 600, but I don't know where the AMAX's have gone, can't find the dam things anywhere. The 2000MR at 26.7 is awesome with 80gr Berger's at 600, as is 24gr of AR Comp, but I'm sure there is at least one more higher node, but I'm not interested in pushing that hard. YMMV of course... work up very carefully. I spent a lot of time with OCWs and the Chrono to get what works for me.

Last edited:
    8208xbr
    LC Mixed Trimmed to 1.755
    CCI #41/CCI #450/Rem 7 1/2
    COAL 2.255
    AVE 2726 fps
    ES 23
    SD 7

8208xbr
    LC Mixed Trimmed to 1.755
    CCI #41/CCI #450/Rem 7 1/2
    COAL 2.255
    AVE 2726 fps
    ES 23
    SD 7

77SMK & 77NOS pretty much indistinguishable - NOS's seem to have more consistent COAL's, but Ogive's for each although slightly different (SMK Shorter and stubbier) fly about the same.

Thanks for the info gents, not a lot of info on this 8208 powder with 77's.

Any brass, any 75/77gr HPBT bullet, any primer, 23.2-24.0gr 8208XBR at AR mag length.

My load is 23.5gr (warmer than Hodgdon 223 max), as it seems to shoot a hair tighter than 23.8gr which comes darn close to matching BHA 5.56 77gr OTM "white box seconds" in velocity.

Info in this thread was spot on, saved me a lot of time working up a load for my WOA 16" SS barrel.

I performed OCW test today with 8208xbr/77smk using 23.1, 23.3, 23.5 and 23.8

1xLC brass
    CCI 400
    77smk
    seated to 2.255"

23.3 and 23.5 were extremely accurate and I was only using my 1.5-5x20 Leupold. Shot 3 rds each. I just loaded 10 rds each of 23.3 and 23.5 at 2.260" that I'm going to test tomorrow and decided on which one to use. I will then mess with seating depth to see if I can get anymore accuracy out of it.

77SMK, CCI41, 22.0 to 22.5gr 8208XBR, 2.260" coal gives good results in my Stag 24" varmint. 2700fps seems to be the sweet spot.