• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Local Gunsmith Recommendation (Dayton OH)?

woostri

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
I'm looking into a .300 blackout bolt action build. I own a stock and plan to do my own bedding/freefloating but need a local smith to put together action and barrel for me. Living near Dayton OH now, anyone have a recommendation for a gunsmith?

--- aim small miss small ---

Hes not "local", but a couple of hours away at most. Why not call Tom Sarver at Thunder Valley Precision? He's an accomplished smith and shooter. I havent used him for gunsmithing work, but I've met him a few times and I dont think hes the type to bullshit around on lead times like most smiths do. Otherwise i'd check the smith listings on accurate shooter.

Thunder Valley Precision » Specialized long range shooting facility

I have two orders for .260s with Tom....just waiting on me to send some cash his way to get it rolling. Stay away from the "smith" up at Gander Mtn. That's all I'll say about that. Otherwise, I know its not local but Short Action Customs is top notch too.

It would be worth a call or even better, take a trip to see Tom @TVP. He has built 2 rifles for me 7wsm & 6xc. He also builds some bad ass AR platform guns. He is a very accomplished shooter & a perfectionist as a machinist.

Short Action Customs is in Wellington, he's one of the best that I've ever seen. I have rifles and work done by a number of people, there are a scant few that can compare to Mark's work. I've seen work by other folks in OH and I'm far from impressed.

Mark Gordon @ Short Action Customs has built 2 custom hunting rifles`for me & will be building me a third when the parts arrive.

He does an excellent job & is great to work with, no worries!!!

Haven't met Tom but I did make it out to his range last summer. Nice setup he's got out there. I'll check out short action customs as well. Thanks for the replies.

--- aim small miss small ---

+1 for Mark Gordon at Short Action Customs. He's done 3 rifles for me and does exceptional work. He is definitely worth the phone call.

Mark Gordon with short action customs does a great job