• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Lock Picking tools and training material

DangerDario

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2012
Florida
I'm looking for a basic lock picking set and some training material. I'm doing a competition in the fall which requires some escape and evasion skills.

I looked on the forum but could not find any info.

Thanks

DAP

look on line . there is shitloads of pick sets of a multitude of sizes offered for sale .
ALSO 'pick' is a artful Skill/trade that takes time & you need stay very current on . But you can easily learn to 'Rake' with just a tension bar & a couple different tools & is easily taught halfassed skill .
-

Note that possession of such tools is often considered 'burglary tools' in many areas if you are not a licensed and bonded locksmith.

CoryT, you make a good point.

I looked at the law in my state and I should be fine. Down here you need more than possession to make it illegal to own lock picking tools.

Other states are a lot less forgiving.

Florida statutes 810.06 has these tools listed as a third degree felony. While the FL law is designed on "intent", you will most likely set yourself up for a rather in-depth and extended field interview by any LEO that finds you in possession of them without a legit business purpose. I can see it know "yes officer, we use these to pick the locks in order to enter the rooms and take out targets with small arms fire".

"But officer, this all part of a competition, I promise"

Yeah, I could see how this could all be very difficult to explain.

if your in a State with such an Ordinance . If your face-down on the Sidewalk with LE dumping contents of our pockets . Then being found in possession of a book of lock tools is the Least of your worries for the evening .
edit add:
OP . Get them and other items for learning & self training. There sold legal off the internet. If you want to learn the the working mechanics of Locks . . the Knowledge is worth possessing & is real handy for life . Fuck the bullshit intimidation of 'threat' to possessing it .

Last edited:
Bump keys, shims for padlocks and a simple kit opens a lot of doors, with practice. SouthOrd carries a lot, add a car lock out kit imo. dead bolts take practice if picking or raking, most other go from key like easy to a few extra seconds. Also bypassing is another option.

Learn how to open pin tumbler and cam wafer locks with a tension wrench and a rake only. The amount of tension you apply is the "key" to success. Do some research on these common types of locks to understand their operation, and get as much practice as you can before the competition. Good luck.

If you look online there are international lock picking tournaments. Most of the competitors are hobbyists, not professional locksmiths. Just like people like to have bragging rights about solving Rubik's Cube or a SoDuKo puzzle. Every mechanic, DIYer or just having an emergency toolkit in your car could could be construed as possessing burglars tools. I believe that where and why you haves tools is taken into account to prove intent.

"But officer, this all part of a competition, I promise"

Yeah, I could see how this could all be very difficult to explain.

Especially if handcuffs were part of the picking competition. We used to play around with trying to pick each other's handcuffs, and because of the way the locks are set up, it really isn't that hard once you figure out the basic idea. The hard part is finding material that won't bend too quickly.

Handcuffs are a breeze. Most masterlocks are easy as can be. Dead bolts get a little harder as most are 5 to 7 pin. YouTube has plenty of videos demonstrating techniques. Best thing to do is practice after you get a kit. I have only used lock picking for Leo tact team 0 times. Unless you included forgetting my keys to the trailer or ammo locker or house key. Its a neat party trick but the shotgun or breaching ram works best... or bolt cutters.

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to pick up a simple starter kit and a bump key.
I know I'm a bit late to the party but unless you know what brand of lock you're going up against a singular bump is useless. In any case you can get a pretty comprehensive kit from Sparrows and a number of other places. They sell them singularly or in sets of the standards like KY1, SC1, etc for the different brand locks.

Especially if handcuffs were part of the picking competition. We used to play around with trying to pick each other's handcuffs, and because of the way the locks are set up, it really isn't that hard once you figure out the basic idea. The hard part is finding material that won't bend too quickly.

If they're double locked, I could never figure out how people did it.... I know you just have to move the pick to the other side, but honestly was never able to get it done when it was double locked.... Especially fool proof when you wrap 100 mph tape around where the keys go :-(

Join the army, enlist for a SOCOM slot and ask to go surreptitious entry training at Ft Meade, MD, take a locksmithing course, or play on you tube watching lots of videos. You might get SERE school while you are in training cycle.

Last edited: