• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LOL!! So, tactical lever gun is a thing now?

A good lever gun can put bullets downrange fast. Big bullets score high on the KO factor.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
If you think "IPSC" means targets an arm's length away and bunny fart loads then I don't think you know what IPSC means.
It was a generic reference to shooting fast and close in targets, which appears to have happened to CAS from where it was, bit like the change in PR’ rifle comps, 20 years ago it was about the shooter, now it’s about the gear (the barricade benchrest analogy).

I only now look from the outside at practical, I believe IDPA has gone the same was, or so I’ve been told, re ethos.

Nowt against IPSC but shiny shirts and extreme messed around guns are not for me, can see the appeal for some.

No slight intended.

Last edited:
A couple of months ago i picked up a new in the box winchester 45 colt at a show to go along with my 2 colts in 45. the old cowboy way carry all the same ammo. now im ready for when we start riding horses again and i can do it in style.

I only now look from the outside at practical, I believe IDPA has gone the same was, or so I’ve been told, re ethos.

Nowt against IPSC but shiny shirts and extreme messed around guns are not for me, can see the appeal for some.
Suit yourself if that's what you think IPSC is. You are, however, wrong.

If you're one of those who thinks practical pistol competition should be like a gunfight, you're right this isn't for you.

If you want to maximize handgun practical shooting (not tactical) skills, then you should set your erroneous ideas about what the sport is or isn't and step up to the plate.

Reactions: mgrs
I believe the fast lever shooter is a modified gun that trips the trigger when the lever is closed. Thats how Chuck Connors rifle was modified in the show.

You see her clear that failure to eject? That's some Delta-level skill right there...

Cheers,

Sirhr
E2BD265C-9E71-4DCB-8DE0-F3D482992612.jpeg

Chris Costa is just trying to find a new market space since all these devgru dudes are out doing training now. Kinda hard to sell your training when the door kickers are retired and looking for new work.

You guys give the feds way too much credit for work they haven’t been able to do. I guess fear based politics works.

Always liked my 94 30-30, points pretty quick and inside of 150yrds it’ll rock most anything’s world, even for in home they don’t over penetrate and dump lots of energy on target

kudos to the kid. obviously, he has put in some time.

as far as costa.....i dont care for him. can't tell you exactly why, there is just something about him that rubs me wrong. maybe it is because he tries too hard, or (especially in this case) he is trying to be a subject matter expert of what? idk...there is something about him i just dont like.

levers are great....the ORIGINAL assault weapon. that being said, modifying them and putting all kinds of shit on them ruins their strong points. a lever gun is refered to as a brush gun, NOT because of brush busting abilities as most think, but how easy they are to handle when moving through thick shit. that is, unless you have stuff bolted onto them. anything more than a peep sight fucks them up.

357's strong point is the ability to carry a lot of ammo at a reduced weight. 44 is a fucking smasher, but carrying lots of rounds gets heavy fast. same same for the 45 colt. 444 and 45-70 are powerhouses, but the same goes for ammo. 30-30 extends the range some, and the 35 remington does the same AND brings the SMACKDOWN! i am waiting for ruger to release the 357 1894.

another advantage that most people don't realize is how quiet they are. i shot a deer a few years back, and another guy 200 yards away never even heard me shoot; he thought i was lying.

0E2AEB2F-4C78-4F0B-B82D-051113666554.jpeg

this is the aftermath of a 44 260 grain cast bullet about about 1100 fps. a relatively mild load, on my end at least.
0ADF0CB2-4152-49F0-A29E-98DF2273CFB1.jpeg

Last edited:
Suit yourself if that's what you think IPSC is. You are, however, wrong.

If you're one of those who thinks practical pistol competition should be like a gunfight, you're right this isn't for you.

If you want to maximize handgun practical shooting (not tactical) skills, then you should set your erroneous ideas about what the sport is or isn't and step up to the plate.
You have misread my meaning, it is not for me and nothing against IPSC, my observation (ref IPSC’s website links to YouTube) is shiny shirts and running around which is , again, not for me (now)

concur re the ‘gunfight’ bit, my ref to IDPA was its original (very loose) ethos that in a country where you can carry a concealed handgun then it made sense to compete with a handgun and holster that (loosely) represented what you’d carry every day - yes? Caveat, the couple of times I shot the European police/para-military championships in Holosov it was ‘combative’ in design, but as 99.9% of the competitors put themselves in danger for a living I found that reasonable, I’m not LEO btw.

As to ’stepping up to the plate’ I’ll choose which plate I step up to, me and IPSC would be a joke, a slightly fat old git trying to run round is not a great combination. I have though ‘stepped up’ in my earlier shooting life.

so to reiterate, IPSC great, get on with encouraging folks to shoot but just not a type of shooting I’d do if I was able, exactly the same as SH cup/bash 20 years ago vs current PRL they’ve just changed to suit the current generations expetations ( that is also not a slur, just honesty)

Terry

Last edited:
Not sure I'm on board totally with the tactical thing but more optics and sight mounting choices are always welcome (Anyone else hate buckhorns?) Also, I think the adjustability is very much a good thing. Not so sure about lights and lasers but if it floats ya boat, go for it.

Scrummy

Also, haven't Gunsite been running a fighting lever rifles for a long time?

Cast it. I've done a lot of 45-70 and 45LC. Garages, moving away from lead, will often give you lead wheel weights for free.
Not sure you save much $$ by the time you buy all the crap to do it, but it is satisfying.
Think wheel weights are now zinc based as you point out.

you have available off the shelf good lead bullets in the US from folks like buffalo arms.

Casting does take a bit of setting up but as you say quite satisfying, if you are going to shoot any distance with precision you cannot avoid it though. Getting it right pays off.

Browning took a lever action and made it full auto. A bit complicated but was the beginning of all the autos he made.

So the question I have:

Do these bear killing lever guns defeat body armor?

I mean you can get hit by a car on the freeway wearing body armor and you still die.

Is there enough energy stored that it will stop a person heart even if the round doesn’t penetrate?
What level body armor are we talking here? A 45-70 325gr at 2050 fps is a violent mfer at close range (3k+ ft lbs). Beats a 12ga shotgun running 2 3/4 standard velocity slugs by 30-40%. If I had to choose my Benelli M4 vs Marlin 45-70 I'd take my Marlin in almost all cases. Same barrel length, round capacity, recoil, and reload speed. M4 is the faster shooter and 00 buck gives you a miss factor bonus, but 45-70 is more powerful and has better accuracy at longer ranges. Only thing I'd pick my Benelli for is close quarters hallway work and I'd have 00 Buck which I don't believe is going to defeat body armor.

I had my 45-70 leave impact craters at 75 yards on AR500 steel targets using Underwood Ammo Extreme Penetrator rounds. Nasty stuff. I'll see if I can find the pictures and post them later.

If you like the ballistics of the 45-70, then the 50 Beowulf is the tactical firearm you should be looking for.

Great AR rifle caliber.

Reactions: NovaHunter
I believe the fast lever shooter is a modified gun that trips the trigger when the lever is closed. Thats how Chuck Connors rifle was modified in the show.
No, that's against the SASS rules. He's hitting the trigger each time with his finger. He's a Texas shooter and I've shot with him and his dad quite a bit. The rifle has been modified internally with a "short stroke kit" which makes the distance the lever and elevator must travel to chamber a round the absolute minimum.

Top is original lever throw, bottom is short stroke. Ending the stroke before the bottom of the arc makes a tremendous difference. Kit on the right
1650030562618.jpeg
1650030580632.jpeg

Chuck Connors' rifle with set screw to trip the trigger.
1650030688149.jpeg
9457c17a69db5607c2e6424cda8986ce.jpg

Cool Rifleman toy cap gun I had as a kid with tripping lever.
images

This is the model I actually had. It has a foldable tab on the lever that you flipped up for "rapid fire"

mattel-saddlegun-jpg.120484

Last edited:
kudos to the kid. obviously, he has put in some time.

as far as costa.....i dont care for him. can't tell you exactly why, there is just something about him that rubs me wrong. maybe it is because he tries too hard, or (especially in this case) he is trying to be a subject matter expert of what? idk...there is something about him i just dont like.

levers are great....the ORIGINAL assault weapon. that being said, modifying them and putting all kinds of shit on them ruins their strong points. a lever gun is refered to as a brush gun, NOT because of brush busting abilities as most think, but how easy they are to handle when moving through thick shit. that is, unless you have stuff bolted onto them. anything more than a peep sight fucks them up.

357's strong point is the ability to carry a lot of ammo at a reduced weight. 44 is a fucking smasher, but carrying lots of rounds gets heavy fast. same same for the 45 colt. 444 and 45-70 are powerhouses, but the same goes for ammo. 30-30 extends the range some, and the 35 remington does the same AND brings the SMACKDOWN! i am waiting for ruger to release the 357 1894.

another advantage that most people don't realize is how quiet they are. i shot a deer a few years back, and another guy 200 yards away never even heard me shoot; he thought i was lying.

View attachment 7849806
this is the aftermath of a 44 260 grain cast bullet about about 1100 fps. a relatively mild load, on my end at least.View attachment 7849811

great points re: the .357.

Exactly why I built a suppressed 350 legend upper. I want to develop a very, very quiet deer load for use inside 100 yards using 9mm projectiles.

No, that's against the SASS rules. He's hitting the trigger each time with his finger. He's a Texas shooter and I've shot with him and his dad quite a bit. The rifle has been modified internally with a "short stroke kit" which makes the distance the lever and elevator must travel to chamber a round the absolute minimum.

Top is original lever throw, bottom is short stroke. Ending the stroke before the bottom of the arc makes a tremendous difference. Kit on the right
View attachment 7850101 View attachment 7850102

Chuck Connors' rifle with set screw to trip the trigger.
View attachment 7850103
9457c17a69db5607c2e6424cda8986ce.jpg

Cool Rifleman toy cap gun I had as a kid with tripping lever.
images
mattel-saddlegun-jpg.120484
Thank u for the info! That is impressive!

I don't know if the new Ruger Marlin 1895 qualifies as "tactical" (it does have a threaded barrel and Picatinny optics rail), but it makes me horny and I look forward to getting one when the price and availability return to "normal".

Been wanting a tactical lever for a while. At minimum a threaded barrel, but i just cant quite land on a caliber. I also have to decide how i want to use it, which hunting in my state does not lend itself to levers, too long of range. I think i want to shoot heavy sub sonics. I have a ti-rant .45 can that is light and would be fun on a 16” or less gun.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
What level body armor are we talking here? A 45-70 325gr at 2050 fps is a violent mfer at close range (3k+ ft lbs). Beats a 12ga shotgun running 2 3/4 standard velocity slugs by 30-40%. If I had to choose my Benelli M4 vs Marlin 45-70 I'd take my Marlin in almost all cases. Same barrel length, round capacity, recoil, and reload speed. M4 is the faster shooter and 00 buck gives you a miss factor bonus, but 45-70 is more powerful and has better accuracy at longer ranges. Only thing I'd pick my Benelli for is close quarters hallway work and I'd have 00 Buck which I don't believe is going to defeat body armor.

I had my 45-70 leave impact craters at 75 yards on AR500 steel targets using Underwood Ammo Extreme Penetrator rounds. Nasty stuff. I'll see if I can find the pictures and post them later.

.45-70, .50-70/90, .45-110, .451 BP conical, and .58 Minie ball are EXTREMELY bad medicine for anything on the receiving end, armored or not. Soft lead projectiles do not fragment and they tend to behave like gobs of wet putty at impact, deforming, flattening, and transferring ALL of their energy into the targets. They will not penetrate soft armor but even with a Level III or Level IV, anything behind it is going to look like they got hit with a sledgehammer. Massive blunt force trauma and overpressure.

I have an older Marlin 44 magnum that I had threaded for short range hunting with a suppressor. Hot loads kept breaking the unobtanium barrel band screw at the front of the handguard.

I bought the Ranger Point aluminum unit because the crossbolt is stronger. Left everything else the same.

It is. I got the Comanche package less the leather. Lightened trigger and hammer springs and a short stroke kit.

They told me not to shoot full magnum loads, so it only sees the light stuff.

Group is off bags at 100 yards.
Mines in 45LC, they are a beauty. I load mine to also work in my Uberti 45LC single action.
Something nice about shooting those.