• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lone peak worth the money?

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
I’m looking at a hunting build finally. Something a little lighter to drag around 7-10lbs range. I’m on a mission to try 1 of every major action company that peaks my interest so I can test and form my own opinion on them. Currently have, kelbly atlas tac, bighorn tl3, defiance deviant, terminus Zeus and stiller tac 30.

Next few on the hit list are impact, lone peak, ks (Canadian company), surgeon and possibly arc. Naturally on a hunting build the lone peak titanium really peaked my interest, but being in Canada the price is very steep!! Lone peak titanium would run me 3000-3100 dollars for bare action. I’m just curious if there are good enough to justify? I know the others on the list aren’t light weight hunting actions but they all come in at 2300 and less or just build two on defiance (anti/anti x) and be in the 1800-2200 dollar range again plus weight savings.

@Dthomas3523 has two stainless lone peak fuzions. I ran his side by side of another very popular brand custom action and there was no comparison.

Some people prefer more play in the bolt to avoid difficulties w sand etc. But the feel of the fuzion was impressive.

Reactions: 5RWill
@Dthomas3523 has two stainless lone peak fuzions. I ran his side by side of another very popular brand custom action and there was no comparison.

Some people prefer more play in the bolt to avoid difficulties w sand etc. But the feel of the fuzion was impressive.

Fuzion has no issues playing in the sand.

Everyone I know who's had both the LP Fuzion and the Impact prefer the LP Fuzion.

I have no experience with the titanium Fuzion, but keep in mind titanium has different qualities then steel, and that will show up in the feel and function of an action. To the OP, only you can justify whether the price increase is worth it or not, no one here can make that justification for you. Personally, I would not spend an extra $1000 on an action over it's peers. That's a lot of money. But if you have money falling out of your pockets, then go for it. If the Defiance Anti was ~$1000 cheaper then the LP, I would probably consider that pretty hard...

Reactions: 5RWill and Brazo
Fuzion has no issues playing in the sand.

Everyone I know who's had both the LP Fuzion and the Impact prefer the LP Fuzion.

I have no experience with the titanium Fuzion, but keep in mind titanium has different qualities then steel, and that will show up in the feel and function of an action. To the OP, only you can justify whether the price increase is worth it or not, no one here can make that justification for you. Personally, I would not spend an extra $1000 on an action over it's peers. That's a lot of money. But if you have money falling out of your pockets, then go for it. If the Defiance Anti was ~$1000 cheaper then the LP, I would probably consider that pretty hard...

So your lp is a stainless then not titanium? It’s only the titanium that is 1000 dollar more then the rest of the bunch, the stainless would be in the same ball park as the rest of them. I didn’t realize the stainless was popular. I only ever hear about the titanium ones, just assuming if you were buying titanium then lp is the way to go, but if your buying stainless then maybe there was a better option. Maybe I’ll eliminate the titanium lp from the list and look at stainless ones then if they are that impressive.

Reactions: MarshallDodge

What was the other popular custom action?

So your lp is a stainless then not titanium? It’s only the titanium that is 1000 dollar more then the rest of the bunch, the stainless would be in the same ball park as the rest of them. I didn’t realize the stainless was popular. I only ever hear about the titanium ones, just assuming if you were buying titanium then lp is the way to go, but if your buying stainless then maybe there was a better option. Maybe I’ll eliminate the titanium lp from the list and look at stainless ones then if they are that impressive.

Yes, it's stainless.

I don't own any titanium actions, I personally don't have any need for a really light rifle/action.

I’m having TS Customs spin me up a build around the LP Fuzion Stainless.. was debating on the TI but decided stainless would be better suited. I had the opportunity at running my buddies LP Fuzion Stainless recently and it made my origin (which is my best action currently) feel bad. Very nice action. It further confirmed my decision deciding on an LP for my build. Can’t wait to get it

I had an LPA Fuzion and sold it. Put an order in for an Anti-X a week ago.

LPA Fuzion arrived in terrible condition... covered in sticky shit. Spent upwards of an hour cleaning all of the gunk off. The bolt was showing several signs of wear as if it was used. Experienced subpar customer service when running into the Trigger Tech issue. Ultimately, it was just too heavy, hence the Anti-X.

I have a LP Fusion TI. Runs smooth better than a few of the big names,,,, i ran w bolt binding issues.

Okay thanks everyone. I don’t think I can justify a lone peak titanium so will have to go with stainless and move it to a different build and use the anti or anti x for the hunting build

I have a MackBros Ti, it’s what you expect from a custom action.
1D93AA2F-BD2D-476B-9520-BCC6D0919348.jpeg

Keep in mind, most people don’t aren’t doing the amount of walking and such needed to require a super light weight rifle.

You can use a carbon barrel, carbon stock, a stainless action and still come in plenty light you won’t kill yourself carrying it.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
Speaking for myself, that’s my sheep rifle. Chasing sheep in the mountains will make one rethink gear. The older I get the more I upgrade my gear to save ounces. Save enough ounces and you start saving pounds.

My moose gear is a whole different ballgame. I don’t have to carry that on my back, I don’t mind the side by side being the mule.

Keep in mind, most people don’t aren’t doing the amount of walking and such needed to require a super light weight rifle.

You can use a carbon barrel, carbon stock, a stainless action and still come in plenty light you won’t kill yourself carrying it.

Thanks gentleman. 90% of my hunting isn’t a ton of walking either. But the walking and stuff I do, carrying a 12-15lbs set up does beat you up a bit. I’ve traded off some of my favourites spots to hunt to buddies cause I didn’t want to carry my 27” barrel 14lbs rifle in to the spot. I was just hoping to lighten the load and shorten the set up a bit on the hunts or area’s that don’t have wide open shooting lanes or long walks to get into the best shooting spots.

Is saving 9oz really going to make that big of a difference in weight? Especially when an extra $1000 is on the line.

Honestly going over the numbers with fuzion steel and a carbon barrel or even a #5 fluted(#3b fluted) and dropping to a different stock I should still be able to bring it in the 8-9lbs range, or dropping to the antix and saving 3/4lbs. Just have to figure out the rest of the build. Wanted to go with a #5fluted but will step to carbon if I have too. Stock I’m not sure. Wanted the eh1 but it’s slightly heavy so looking at McMillan game scout, game warden, and trigger tech diamond

Reactions: rope
Specs on mine above: GAP build, MackBros Ti, 6.5 SAUM, Bartlein CFB@22”, APA bottom and break, EH6A, Kahles 318i coming in right at 8.5lbs loaded and sling.

Two of my other hunting rifles 12-14 lbs GAP’s 6.5 SAUM and a 338 WM lighter gun is way more kind when on foot in the bush. The alders are way easier to walk through with 22” barrel still slung and pack on.

I am looking at my next build and have my eye on the AnTi. Going with a 358 WSM, still working on the build, waiting to find out if what I want will work.

Get a lighter rifle and reclaim those ole hunting grounds.

The Mac bro’s isn’t something that overly peaks my interest. I really want to add a lone peak fuzion, ks sar or lar, impact 737 or 787 and a surgeon to the line up then I have majority of actions pretty well covered. Due to weight I’d be more inclined to add another defiance (anti/antix) over the Mac bro’s for some reason.

If I can lighten the build up with other parts and keeping the fuzion as the action of choice, then I’ll switch my devotion to the anti/antix and build something different on the lone peak

To the OP, I didn't see it mentioned in the thread so far so I'll throw it out for your consideration...

Some say that stainless has certain advantages to TI besides being cheaper. If you're on the fence anyhow it's worth looking into.

I have a stainless fuzion action but no stock for it yet. It's fun to cycle and yell "BANG," but I have to be careful not to pinch my finger :^)

Best of luck.

To the OP, I didn't see it mentioned in the thread so far so I'll throw it out for your consideration...

Some say that stainless has certain advantages to TI besides being cheaper. If you're on the fence anyhow it's worth looking into.

I have a stainless fuzion action but no stock for it yet. It's fun to cycle and yell "BANG," but I have to be careful not to pinch my finger :^)

Best of luck.

I have looked at that, I’m okay with going with steel. Just thought it might be nice to save the weight and try a new action. Plus it looks like the fuzion isn’t offered in a medium action in steel only titanium. So I now have to switch actions or just run the long action and try and save weight else wear.

Currently build plans are in the works, but look something like this;

- lone peak fuzion action (was hoping for medium) but long I guess mag bolt face
- ks arms #5 fluted or if I have to drop weight then either bartlein carbons or hells canyon carbons
- trigger tech special or diamond
- stock is up for debate as well, but looking at trying an Ag or McMillan game scout/game warden.
- bottom metal haven’t decided but most likely bdl style (Hawkins)
- sell timing brake of some kind. Either another heathen, apa gen 3, or ti pro 3.

FYI you can get a Steel Fuzion XM with Alpine Port. I had one. Came in just under 34oz. I’ll take Anti-X any day of the week.

Additionally, the Hawkins XM bottom metal I ordered with the action was roughly $330. Very pricey & I think the BDL came in around 7oz. I believe an aluminum version may be available. I think mine was steel.

Last edited:
FYI you can get a Steel Fuzion XM with Alpine Port. I had one. Came in just under 34oz. I’ll take Anti-X any day of the week.

Additionally, the Hawkins XM bottom metal I ordered with the action was roughly $330. Very pricey & I think the BDL came in around 7oz. I believe an aluminum version may be available. I think mine was steel.

Well I appreciate that. What’s the reason you’d take an anti-x over the fuzion

For pure argument sake, what if weight was equal. I’m more so curious as too the actions themselves. I have a defiance and so does my shooting partner so know the feel pretty well.

I vote for the anTi-X.

Titanium is a bad material for actions generally speaking. Do yourself a favour and get the anTi-X or whatever action you want but in stainless.

I really like my steel Fuzion in my match rifle. Ever sense I got my hands on it I have wanted a lone peak for a hunting rifle which is why I'm in the process of ordering a long action ti razor. Will pair it with a 24" carbon fiber barrel and Grayboe Phoenix stock to keep everything light weight. I think my math is telling me I should be just under 8 lbs with optic.

I vote for the anTi-X.

Titanium is a bad material for actions generally speaking. Do yourself a favour and get the anTi-X or whatever action you want but in stainless.

I’m pretty much settle on not going titanium now. Everyone’s talked me out of it. I’m going see if I can lighten the rest of the material and try to keep a lone peak fuzion in the build list for now

Reactions: Raufoss
I have an impact 737 and think the fuzion feels much better. The impact is breaking in nicely now but it’s still not as nice to me as my buddies fuzion. The cam on close feels timed and effortless. They’re both smooth in their own right but the lone peak is one of the smoothest coated 2-lugs I’ve felt. The smoothest two lug I’ve felt has been a bare deviant.

Have you considered the Defiance Rebel as an option? Price wise its a little less than a AnTi and weight if you spec it right is really pretty good for a stainless action. If you order it with the sheep port, xtra-deep bolt flutes, regular tang and full round it comes in right @ 25 ozs. I've only used mine this last hunting season but in some dusty hunting conditions it was sure smooth. With a CF wrapped barrel you can easily make your weight.
Just a thought??

Reactions: Buck300
Those Defiance Rebels are nice, and that is pretty light for a round action. Prefect hunting rig.

The Mac bro’s isn’t something that overly peaks my interest. I really want to add a lone peak fuzion, ks sar or lar, impact 737 or 787 and a surgeon to the line up then I have majority of actions pretty well covered. Due to weight I’d be more inclined to add another defiance (anti/antix) over the Mac bro’s for some reason.

If I can lighten the build up with other parts and keeping the fuzion as the action of choice, then I’ll switch my devotion to the anti/antix and build something different on the lone peak
If you decied to go with the fuzion getting the alpine cut port will save you a few oz and still give you the integrated pic rail.

Not sure if this feedback is helpful. But thanks to @kthomas and hearing his feedback / talking to lone peak themselves (super nice guys), ill be ordering up a fuzion 338 TI for a 300 norma hunting build. Ik titanium is a back and forth topic, but i trust the lone peak guys are knowledgeable with their products and machinery expertise. I hunt in 90 degree weather with upwards of 60% humidity so any weight savings is well worth it to me when in the mountains.

Other components i already own= all terra carbon stock, bix n andy tacsport 2 stage, hawkins dbm, wyatt mbe 3, MBM 5 port lil beast, and a bartlein carbon #4.

Will be sending parts to ts customs (also on reccomendation by kthomas)

Will make a post of full build when all said and done

Not sure if this feedback is helpful. But thanks to @kthomas and hearing his feedback / talking to lone peak themselves (super nice guys), ill be ordering up a fuzion 338 TI for a 300 norma hunting build. Ik titanium is a back and forth topic, but i trust the lone peak guys are knowledgeable with their products and machinery expertise. I hunt in 90 degree weather with upwards of 60% humidity so any weight savings is well worth it to me when in the mountains.

Other components i already own= all terra carbon stock, bix n andy tacsport 2 stage, hawkins dbm, wyatt mbe 3, MBM 5 port lil beast, and a bartlein carbon #4.

Will be sending parts to ts customs (also on reccomendation by kthomas)

Will make a post of full build when all said and done
I've been holding my breath this whole time and now I am almost dead. How did it turn out?

• Haha
Reactions: R_A_W