• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long action 7mm cartridge

wade2big

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2017
TEXAS
What would be the top choices for a .284/7mm caliber cartridge to push 160-180gr class bullets in a long action standard bolt face action. Quality brass would need to be a available and fire forming is out. I’m not interested in a magnum anything.

This would be for targets and hunting so I would most likely use 162gr and 180gr eldm bullets as I have lots of experience using eldm bullets for both. I would probably end up getting a barrel for my Desert Tech so magazine length is not a concern at all. Lots of room in these things.

Looking at bolt faces too, that might be your best bet.

280 AI was what I had in mind so that may be the top choice. I just need to search brass options to make sure it’s a thing.

Reactions: HMRamateur
284 win or 280AI with standard bolt face. I would go 284 win due to brass availability
Brass for a 280ai looks to be available. I’ve never used Peterson before but I’ve read it is solid brass. Not sure if it’s Lapua good or not. I would buy at least 500 pieces to have on hand whichever way I went.

I’m going to look more into the differences between the two cartridges performance wise. I don’t think its very much.

The 280AI and 284 Win will achieve pretty much the same velocity, both are known for accuracy, the 284 and its derivatives have been predominant in f class for quite a while until recently. Peterson is great brass, comparable to lapua. I personally prefer the 284 but either would suit you just fine. If you go 284 talk with the smith about the freebore, because there are a million different reamers out there and you don’t want to go with the saami length because it wasn’t originally designed for the bullets we use today. A good smith can hook you up with the appropriate freebore you need.

I’d be looking at a straight .284 Win.
The 280AI and 284 Win will achieve pretty much the same velocity, both are known for accuracy, the 284 and its derivatives have been predominant in f class for quite a while until recently. Peterson is great brass, comparable to lapua. I personally prefer the 284 but either would suit you just fine. If you go 284 talk with the smith about the freebore, because there are a million different reamers out there and you don’t want to go with the saami length because it wasn’t originally designed for the bullets we use today. A good smith can hook you up with the appropriate freebore you need.
I didn’t realize the .284 was a shorter cartridge with a rebated rim. If I have a barrel for my desert tech chambered it may be prone to feeding issues. It would be a good choice if I were to go with a traditional build.

Wouldn’t 7mmPRC fit the bill? Or am I missing something?
You missed a lot my man. Pretty much everything other than the title of the thread. Reading is for bitches am I right!!

What would be the top choices for a .284/7mm caliber cartridge to push 160-180gr class bullets in a long action standard bolt face action. Quality brass would need to be a available and fire forming is out. I’m not interested in a magnum anything.

This would be for targets and hunting so I would most likely use 162gr and 180gr eldm bullets as I have lots of experience using eldm bullets for both. I would probably end up getting a barrel for my Desert Tech so magazine length is not a concern at all. Lots of room in these things.
With Winchester StaBall 6.5 I'm pushing a Berger 175 Elite Hunter out of a 20" 7mm-08 Rem at 2,615 FPS MV... Granted, that's max safe load in that rifle, but it shoots 1/3 MOA 3-shot groups and 1/2-3/4 MOA 4 & 5 shot groups. It's a hunting rifle, so it's more than good enough. If you run the ballistics on that bullet at that speed, it's pretty damn impressive.

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-09-25 23:07:11.266688.jpegBallistic-X-Export-2023-09-24 15:40:24.662911.jpg

Reactions: wade2big
I think your best choice is a standard 280 Remington, not the AI version.
I looked at that but the brass options suck. Looks like it will be either a 280AI as good brass is everywhere, or step up to a magnum and even then a 7prc has no brass options either.

If you want to shoot Lapua brass in 284W you have to buy 6.5-284 and then neck it up. Besides the irony this automatically creates donuts on the first firing so pretty much everyone doing this had to neck turn their Lapua brass. Just something to be aware of.
Lapua makes 284 Win brass, no need to mess with 6.5x284 brass.

Edit: Looks like it's been discontinued.

7 SAW with the .150 freebore.
This is why I made the thread you and others are throwing stuff out I knew nothing about.

What is the target velocity for 7mm 162ELDM?
If I had to throw out a number, I would like to get 2650 or so with a 180gr. The 162gr would be secondary. I would probably limit the barrel length to 22.5”. Short as I can go with a full length Desert Tech chassis.

Lapua makes 284 Win brass, no need to mess with 6.5x284 brass.

Edit: Looks like it's been discontinued.
They will be making it again, it’s on hold due to the Ukraine thing going on. They released a presser about it a while ago. These are the ones they temporary suspended but they are making some of these again based on them showing back up in stock.

Attachments

• IMG_3849.jpeg
    IMG_3849.jpeg
    759.8 KB · Views: 63
This is why I made the thread you and others are throwing stuff out I knew nothing about.

If I had to throw out a number, I would like to get 2650 or so with a 180gr. The 162gr would be secondary. I would probably limit the barrel length to 22.5”. Short as I can go with a full length Desert Tech chassis.
With a 25" 7/08 AI, I get 2700 with h4350 and 180s. With 175s and staball I over 2900, but that was definitely spicy.

I have only shot 162s and some 139s just to get some rounds down the barrel. I would have to look and see what the velocity is the 162s were around 2750 with 4831sc, 4000mr and 7977. They were about 2850 with h4350. All I'm my 21" barrel. The 139s were 2900 with Varget or 4166. I was just burning cheap bullets to get some rounds down that barrel. Most everything I have put in it has shot either pretty good or very good.

I don't think there are many people who compare the quality of Peterson brass with Lapua. I have used mine yet. I know at @spife7980 didn't seem to be the biggest fan. Midway has Lapua 30/06 brass you could make some 280 with. You could get some real good BC bullets going prey fast with a 25/06.

I have only shot 162s and some 139s just to get some rounds down the barrel. I would have to look and see what the velocity is the 162s were around 2750 with 4831sc, 4000mr and 7977. They were about 2850 with h4350. All I'm my 21" barrel. The 139s were 2900 with Varget or 4166. I was just burning cheap bullets to get some rounds down that barrel. Most everything I have put in it has shot either pretty good or very good.

I don't think there are many people who compare the quality of Peterson brass with Lapua. I have used mine yet. I know at @spife7980 didn't seem to be the biggest fan. Midway has Lapua 30/06 brass you could make some 280 with. You could get some real good BC bullets going prey fast with a 25/06.
Which cartridge?

I looked at that but the brass options suck. Looks like it will be either a 280AI as good brass is everywhere, or step up to a magnum and even then a 7prc has no brass options either.
I think brass gets more attention than it deserves but if Lapua provides any comfort for you, you could do a 7mm-06.

Reactions: reubenski
I think brass gets more attention than it deserves but if Lapua provides any comfort for you, you could do a 7mm-06.
I can somewhat agree with you on that and I’m probably over blowing the brass deal. I’m not shooting Fclass or benchrest. I load plenty low ES/SD with Federal and Hornady brass.

I would rather this be a long action cartridge for the bit more horsepower over a short action. I’m going to read into the 280 Remington and the 280ai and pick one. Thanks for your help.

Then it sounds like a 20-22" 7mm-08 Rem with a 175 Elite and StaBall 6.5 sounds about perfect for you.

Reactions: wade2big
Just built a 24" 7mm SAW 1:8 and sold my 22" 7mm prc. Have this built on a SA but to get the heavier bullets i will swap this into my LA with a standard bolt.

Alpha makes brass, Preffered Barrel Blanks makes prefits.
162gr eldm going roughly 2800fps

Attachments

• 20231018_200839.jpg
    20231018_200839.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20231019_194505.jpg
    20231019_194505.jpg
    707.3 KB · Views: 69
Just built a 24" 7mm SAW 1:8 and sold my 22" 7mm prc. Have this built on a SA but to get the heavier bullets i will swap this into my LA with a standard bolt.

Alpha makes brass, Preffered Barrel Blanks makes prefits.
162gr eldm going roughly 2800fps
You didn’t like the 7PRC?

.280 AI. I’m shooting 162’s over Reloader 17. 2980 FPS. 24” barrel. Brass is available. Enjoy

280AI with H4831SC Nosler brass, 162s was getting me right at 3k with 26' barrel. Peterson brass would be an upgrade.

Reactions: ColbyLang
Who makes 280AI brass besides Nosler and Hornady?

I can push 175-180 grn bullets just over 3k fps in my .280 AI. That said, look up the 7 Moses. Looks to be a great solution as well.

I realize that for your purposes, 7PRC is off the table, but there are currently three companies making 7PRC brass, Hornady (readily available and least costly), Peterson (also available and is good brass), and ADG (availability is currently spotty since it’s in demand. Lapua-like quality).

It does sound to me like the 280AI checks all the boxes of your current wants/needs.

Reactions: jmw and WAMBO
The 280 Sherman will push a 180 well past 3000 with a 180. It uses the same brass as the A.I. and in fact, you can easily fire form the A.I. brass. The case has less taper than the A.I. and shoulder is forward but still has a .310" length. I have reamers and dies in stock also.