• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long action recommendation for .300 PRC

woodmtw

6.5PRC300
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2018
I am fairly new to the forum, but thought I'd ask the community for ideas. I recently bought an Impact Precision 737R Action-Mag BF short action to build a long-range 6.5 PRC rifle around, but I am having trouble finding a good long action option for building a .300 PRC rifle. I really like the idea of an integrated 20 MOA rail machined into the action, but that's not necessarily a requirement. I've sent inquiries to Tate at Impact, GA Precision, and Defiance and am awaiting their responses. If anyone would like to share a recommendation, I'd appreciate your input.

Reactions: Bigrederic
I like my Mausingfield a lot, 300 Norma runs perfect. Don’t know about the new ones with the changes. If you can find one of the pre 2019 actions it would be hard to beat.

I’m debating a long action build right now and if I were to go budget action it would be a kelbly atlas tac, or more high end then bighorn tl3. Like the tg ejector on the kelbly, also buttery smooth and impressive action for the price. Love the idea of controlled round feed, mechanical ejector, removable bolt heads for ease of caliber change on the bighorn. The kelbly could still be switch barrel but requires bolts for just the bolt face

Reactions: RodFarva909
I believe all of the American Rifle Co. actions will accept a CIP mag and COAL of 3.78". I went with a Nucleus ($$), but I think a Mausingfield, or especially Archimedes would be slightly better suited for the bigger cartridge. Easier extraction with either; MF for the lighter bolt lift, archimedes for the lever style primary extraction. With any decent action that will accept CIP mags it's hard to go wrong, just a matter of which frills give you thrills.

Plenty of good options out there. I went with a IonBonded Defiance for my .300NM build and I really like it. Defiance can pretty much build you an action any way you like it, lot's of options available.

If you want CRF, Mausingfield is a great action. I have on in SA and love it. One of the best designed actions IMO. For push feed, Defiance or Lone Peak would certainly be great choices.

Reactions: woodmtw
I am also doing a 300 PRC. I am going with the Defiance tactical LA, heavy tang, push feed, 30 MOA, tactical knob, with DLC coating. Its better to just call them versus email.

Reactions: woodmtw and bjay
A lot of action mentioned above are NOT integrated rail..OP looking for integrated..deviant surgeon makes good integrated lug and rail options

Reactions: BCX
I like my Mausingfield a lot, 300 Norma runs perfect. Don’t know about the new ones with the changes. If you can find one of the pre 2019 actions it would be hard to beat.
Thanks JMW, I'll definitely look into the Mausingfield. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on why you would avoid the new 2019 model?

A lot of action mentioned above are NOT integrated rail..OP looking for integrated..deviant surgeon makes good integrated lug and rail options
He said that an integrated rail is not necessarily a requirement. I think the taper in the Mausingfield rail obviates the need for an integrated one.

Reactions: kthomas
He said that an integrated rail is not necessarily a requirement. I think the taper in the Mausingfield rail obviates the need for an integrated one.

The rail on the Mausingfield is a very smart design. It is NOT coming loose unintentionally. But you can change it out if you need to.

Functionally, every bit as good, if not better than an integrated base.

I am fairly new to the forum, but thought I'd ask the community for ideas. I recently bought an Impact Precision 737R Action-Mag BF short action to build a long-range 6.5 PRC rifle around, but I am having trouble finding a good long action option for building a .300 PRC rifle. I really like the idea of an integrated 20 MOA rail machined into the action, but that's not necessarily a requirement. I've sent inquiries to Tate at Impact, GA Precision, and Defiance and am awaiting their responses. If anyone would like to share a recommendation, I'd appreciate your input.

Get a Defiance Long Action Deviant

Using a Lone Peak Fusion Titanium for the new 300 PRC hunting rifle

Reactions: Balor
The ARC Archimedes is CRF like the Mausingfield and the extractor is just as good or better because it doesn't do primary extraction on bolt lift. The Nucleus has the same extractor but it uses bolt lift to do primary extraction so the extractor has to slide on the case rim while it is extracting (like most modern actions) and the Mausingfield has a non-rotating Mauser style extractor but it uses bolt lift for primary extraction.

The Archimedes seems like the best extraction solution, it also is a tube style action so it has most of the strength you would get with an integrated rail action but the flexibility of being able to change slope if you need to.

Both the Mausingfield and Archimedes got a bit of a re-design after SHOT show due to customer feedback on the 2019 Mausingfield redesign shown there. The Mausingfield does not seem to have the 2018 style interchangeable rails, it's now an open top design. The Archimedes is evidently getting an integrated recoil lug which I see as an upgrade but I was ok without it.

All are suitable but the Mausingfield seems to be focused to hunters now, Nucleus is the budget action with lots of unique features while Archimedes is even more feature filled and seems built for the highest pressure rounds that might cause hard extraction on traditional actions.

Thanks JMW, I'll definitely look into the Mausingfield. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on why you would avoid the new 2019 model?
I don’t know that I would want the new open top or the dove tail for the top rail. May not make any difference but when I discussed my build with Lri they thought very highly of the Mausingfield, I think the changes make it more of a hunting action

My 300PRC will be built on my preordered Archimedes action when they ship.
I got to play around a bit with a Archimedes action.
They’re really slick.
The amount of extraction force is amazing and the lack of effort to create that force is equally amazing.

I plan on building a long action this year and almost definitely it will be a Archimedes.

Wow, thank you everyone for taking time to provide such a vast amount of information. I get so much out of reading your ideas and learning from your experience. You've all given me much to think about and research. This is what makes this sport so much fun! Thank you again to everyone who has contributed to the discussion. I hope to be able to return the favor...

Reactions: bjay
I went in and spoke with GA Precision folks they tend to prefer the defiance deviant tactical. They see a lot of different actions. The reason for their recommendation is the tolerance and reliability stand point compared to other brands. They mentioned other brands seemed sloppy. Take it for what its worth.

i went with a Lone Peak for my current 300 PRC. I cant say enough about there actions by far the smoothest long action i have ran and never had an issue with. Ive ran about 4,000 rounds threw it so far and its just got smoother with time.

Reactions: Balor and Kwe1982
I wouldn't worry too much about reliability. Custom actions are designed to be world class. They usually are unless you choose parts that aren't quite right.

For instance, the ARC Nucleus has has light primer strike issues but only with certain triggers. I got a Bix-n-Andy and it's fine. It also has one of the most robust bolt stops available and the extractor and ejector designs are very robust too. Not much to go wrong and that's their budget action.

The feel of it is a bit loose but the bolt moves very freely in and out of battery because of the anti-bind rail design. I look at it kind of like a 1911, you can make them really tight but the tight ones bind up if you run them too dry or get dirt/dust in them.

I'm sure some people prefer a feel that's like the bolt is riding inside precisely machined bronze bushings but my Nucleus has nothing to complain about as far as I'm concerned. I hope my Archimedes long action will be that nice. I expect it will be. I'm probably going to build a .284 Winchester or similar to try and shoot 180ish grain bullets 1 mile+.

Loads of good information here, I'm doing a 300 PRC build as well. 26" Proof CF 9.4 twist Sendero blank is at the house, likely going with a Manners stock and also still trying to decide on the action. Hopefully start getting this thing going when I get back from this deployment. Probably going to have Mile High put this together for me.

Using a defiance ga hunter on a 300 prc hunting rig.
9D864811-060E-459E-B5C7-C47EEA05C68A.jpeg
98532CAD-E00A-4247-9372-753B05247EFB.jpeg

I got my 300PRC built on a Mausingfield Hunter action from LRI. Only put around 20 rounds through it so far as I've been focusing on my 6.5CM shooting, but that action is impressive. Only regret is wishing I had bought a Proof CF for it at the start vs ordering one separately that should be getting here any day now.

I would like to try and revive this thread given that last post was more than three years ago and a lot can happen in the market place during that time.

I have started my research on the best options for a 300 PRC build starting with the action. A little background on me and what i want to achieve...

Years ago as a young Marine, I shot in a few competitions, with some that had me shooting 1,000yds using an M-14 built by the USMC Rifle Team and iron sights. After that experience, I was hooked. In 2017 i wanted to relive that experience but the M-14 (M1A) was illegal in the state where I was living. I opted for an AR-10 chambered in 6.5 Creedmore and a 5-25 scope. With that system, i shot PRS and was able to hit most anything out to 1,000 yds. Lately, i have been attempting to turn my AR-10 into more of a precision system but that has had its challenges. I guess that for a gas gun, 1,000 yards is about the limit and may have to settle for "good enough" accuracy.

My next challenge (bucket list item) is to reach out to 1 Mile. Along the way, I purchased a Bushmaster BA-50 and have put together everything i need to reload my own ammo for the system. I know that shooting system can reach out to 1 mile and more. The problem is that I am not as young as I used to be (to put it lightly) and handling that mammoth gun with my bruised and battered body is, on one hand lots of fun, but on the other hand not so much fun.

Now, I decided to sell/replace my BA-50 with something a bit easier on the body. To that end, I chose to build a 300PRC. Now, I am trying to gain knowledge on the different actions and barrel combinations. Once I come to terms there, i will focus on triggers, stock, and etc. I already know which scope I am going to use, just not settled on anything else.

I am open to all options. I believe in the addage "cry once - buy once" meaning that i am willing to spend a little more to get what I want. I prefer to build rather than buy a complete system but I am open to both options.

Thanks in advance

I put together a 300PRC in 2020 using a Mausingfield LA. It is the only long action I've built so far. I really like the looks of it and how smooth it runs. The rifle has been extremely accurate for me. The rest of the components are:

26" Bartlein 1:8.5 MTU from PVA
MPA Matrix Chassis
Area 419 Muzzle Brake
Bix n Andy Trigger
Nightforce 4x32
MDT 300PRC Mags

I will add that I have 2 Archimedes short actions and an Impact short action. My current planned build is based on a Zermatt TL3 which I am waiting for.

Good Luck on your build and enjoy the process