• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long COAL .223 Gas Gun

I had a guy show up to one of my DM courses back in 2013 I think, with 75gr A-MAX loaded to mag length, which I told him wasn’t possible because I had tried it and couldn’t get to conform to mag COL limits. I wanted it to work since the BC is so high.

He shows up and there was a crimp on the mouth to conform to the ogive. I brought extra LPVO scopes carbines as loaners, thinking he would need one. He proceeded to out-shoot everyone else with his blaster and that load, slinging lead into steel throughout the course like it was easy.

I’ve been looking at a 2.500” magazine COL and receiver set solution for a while. It would open the door for a lot of cool High Performance Intermediate Cartridges in the AR-15 frame. As others have mentioned, the magazines are the bottleneck.

But 2.500” COL would allow .22-250, a wide range of variations off the .223 case, Grendel, and 6 BR.

I was just saying the other day that the 5.56 should have stayed with .222 Remington shoulder position and used a 30˚ shoulder, but with a shorter neck and higher BC bullets starting with the original weight they had, which was 68gr. Elongate the ogive until you have the down-range performance you’re looking for vs going for high mv with pathetic BC projectiles like 55gr. You can see the space for longer ogives available while staying within 2.260” COL looking at the .222 Rem:
iu
iu

Last edited:
Reactions: MarshallDodge