• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Long distance wolf hunting

Chilcotin Hillbilly

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2018
Hi guys, I am an outfitter here in British Columbia and have been tossing around the idea of providing a wolf hunt specifically designed for the long ranger hunters.
Just looking to see what the interest would be. I was thinking yardage of the bait would be 600-700 yards from the heated blind. All meals, and lodging would be at my place, where we have 3 modern log cabins.
If there is enough interest I will host 4 weeks of this type hunt for next season.
let's hear your feedback.

Attachments

• DSCN7917.JPG
    DSCN7917.JPG
    516.1 KB · Views: 195
Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
Absolutely I’d be in for a reasonable price. I’d much rather do this than spend a week fishing in Canada. Let me know the time frame and approximate cost you’re thinking.

I am thinking $4500 plus 5% tax for a 1 on 1 this is all food lodging as well as pick up from the nearest airport.
License, tags, wildlife conservation fee, extra.
You can buy more then 1 wolf tag, we have a no bag limit area.

Grinnergetter,
the license is $189 each tag is $52.50 I would think you should come with three tags
No I am not doing wolf hunts this year. I have in the past. Next year I have hired a full time guide to look after pre baiting and to sit with clients. I am to busy hunting cats to put the time in that is needed.

Grinnergetter,
the license is $189 each tag is $52.50 I would think you should come with three tags
No I am not doing wolf hunts this year. I have in the past. Next year I have hired a full time guide to look after pre baiting and to sit with clients. I am to busy hunting cats to put the time in that is needed.

How many days for the $4500?

Provided research checks out... I could do a party of 4 for 2019 if you decide to proceed.

Do you have a website or business name?

I hoped I could get a buddy to do a lion hunt at same time but I don't think I can get them to throw down for that hunt. Pretty big cats though. Nice

Thanks for the info. I'll work on the persuading part and see what happens.

Last edited:
I hoped I could get a buddy to do a lion hunt at same time but I don't think I can get them to throw down for that hunt. Pretty big cats though. Nice

Thanks for the info. I'll work on the persuading part and see what happens.

I have a few spots open for lynx next season if your buddies are looking for something a little less spendy.

I would be interested for sure. I would be even more interested in going after some bear at extended distances or perferably spot and stalk at those longer distances.

I would be interested for sure. I would be even more interested in going after some bear at extended distances or perferably spot and stalk at those longer distances.
I have some spots open for this spring if interested. The bears hunts won't be over bait it will be spot and stalk.
$5000 plus license tags tax and WCF there is a $1200 charge on a second bear.

I have some spots open for this spring if interested. The bears hunts won't be over bait it will be spot and stalk.
$5000 plus license tags tax and WCF there is a $1200 charge on a second bear.
I'll hold onto your contact info. This spring is off the tables since i am doing a diy in idaho or wyoming. It does sound right up my style.

Ok It looks like we are going a head with booking up at least four hunts next winter. I am doing them late in the winter as the wolves tend to hit baits better.
Here are the dates.
January 17-22
January 31- February 5
February 14-19
February 21-26 (one of these two last dates to chose from)
February 28-March 5

Reactions: skierhs
For all you shooters I have been getting some negative feedback about shooting this distance on game animals. From what I have heard from people on this forum 600 yards is not that difficult. Would it be the about the same as your average hunter with average equipment shooting say 200 yards?

Feedback please

For all you shooters I have been getting some negative feedback about shooting this distance on game animals. From what I have heard from people on this forum 600 yards is not that difficult. Would it be the about the same as your average hunter with average equipment shooting say 200 yards?

Feedback please
It really all depends on the hunter and situation. Broz at longrangeonly.com shot a bear at a mile through the heart on the first shot. I know guys that I wouldn’t trust shooting 200 yards. When entering the "long range hunting" world everyone will have a different opinion about what is ethical and what is not. The same people that complain about my 600 yard shot can’t hit a paper plate at 100 yards (from personal experience).

Let’s assume the “average hunter” you are asking about has no ballistic calculators, environmental sensors, or a custom ballistic turret. With this situation if the person has a good rest I would say 200-300 yards would be the max effective limit especially with a traditional hunting duplex. This range limits the energy down range as most calibers will be capable of taking game within this distance. This allows for many calibers to still be held on the spine and hit the vitals (depending on zero range). Once you reach past the 200-300 yard zero from my experience the drops become so large that hold over is not effective enough to take an ethical shot personally.

When talking about long range hunting there just needs to be a understanding that clients need to have their stuff together and that there is a much smaller pool of people that can ethical take game at those extended distances. This is all my own opinion and experiences, feel free to pm me as well.

@skierhs hit the nail on the head. Only slight disagreement I'd have is that with most modern centerfire chambers, I'd reckon you could reach out to ~400yd with holdovers. Obviously it's very situation and caliber/cartridge dependent tho so..
Anyhow, for yall wolf hunters, what chambering do you use? All we got is yotes down here in GA, and wolves are built quite a bit more robust from what I understand. Reckon wolves require about the same energy-on-impact as a healthy whitetail?

@skierhs hit the nail on the head. Only slight disagreement I'd have is that with most modern centerfire chambers, I'd reckon you could reach out to ~400yd with holdovers. Obviously it's very situation and caliber/cartridge dependent tho so..
Anyhow, for yall wolf hunters, what chambering do you use? All we got is yotes down here in GA, and wolves are built quite a bit more robust from what I understand. Reckon wolves require about the same energy-on-impact as a healthy whitetail?
I agree that 400 yards can be done in the just right situation and right rig but i was keeping the 300 just to be on the safe side to include tha majority of hunters and thier comfort levels. For some reason i find that jumpping from 300-400 yards can be a real jump for people.

Still wondering if there is enough interest to do this hunt. A few tire kickers but no commitments yet. Need to to book 4 weeks of these hunts to make it worth while to bait a location at 600 yards.

For those that are interested Chilcotin Hillbilly is pretty active over on the Accurate reloading forum. I believe that there are a couple of hunt reports over there to look at too.
Bruce