• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Long gun white/IR light

adamjma

Cold hands, lukewarm heart
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Canada
Looking for a long gun white/IR light and wondering what is recommended by the Hide? I'm guessing the kind is still the Vampire Scout lights but the Inforce WMLX Gen 2 is pretty cheap, so I am tempted to go that way. (I'm up here in Canada, aka the land that ITAR forgot, so no used options for me and pricing up here is largely crazy on Surefire.)

One key consideration, whatever is suggested I would much prefer no telltale red glow on it. Picked up a Streamlight TLR VIR II and it has a pretty visible red glow on the IR mode.

The only ones I have are the Surefire V lights and they work great. They're handy even with a PEQ because the laser illuminator is always more focused even on flood at short ranges, but the V lights will light up the immediate AO pretty well.

I guess there's still a small red glow, it's not very pronounced though and you'd probably have to be looking right at it to really see it. Pretty sure any LED will have that to some degree.

There are the IR covers but they never worked that well for me. These adj. bezel V lights get the job done though. They make several different versions and I think pretty much all of them will work on a weapon one way or another. And you can always get the head and upgrade a body if you have one or can score one cheaper that way. I've done that with a couple too.

You no-shit can't order a flashlight in Canada? I guess that's why I can't send this Elcan back to Raytheon anymore... What a bunch of BS. Good luck in your hunt.

Reactions: adamjma
You no-shit can't order a flashlight in Canada?

Not quite THAT bad, but all the Surefire stuff is a real PITA to get and pricey as a result. Almost no one carries the V series as NODs are pretty uncommon up here too. We are also cut off completely from the surplus market, so no cheap NOROTOS shrouds and mounts for us.

I was able to lay hands on a V series Surefire today and say the red glow, it's about the same, maybe less (more diffuse) as the Streamlight I have. I'll likely just go with the Inforce WMLX Gen 2 and hope for the best.

it’s all about distance you want to shoot.

Oddly, if it fits your weapons system, I love the new TLR-VIR-II. And you get a laser too.

Reactions: adamjma
Can y’all get milspec Nods or GSCI only? I’m Canadian, & thinking of moving back in the future (next 5 years or so). Never looked too much into the Canadian NV scene...

Pretty limited pickings up here and outrageously priced compared to the US. That said, I believe ITAR forbids removing anything fun from the US, so make sure you research that before you come back this way. Also, depending on the election this fall there may not be any firearms left in the country for you in five years.

The inforce has quite a bit of red glow. I don't have my surefire on me at the moment to direct compare but will check tomorrow. I took some pictures to try to show it, as soon as i can get them loaded i will add them up here.

Much appreciated. As I mentioned I did get to see a SureFire Scout Vampire model and it was also present there, so at this point unless it's a huge difference I am going to stick with cheap.

it’s all about distance you want to shoot.

Oddly, if it fits your weapons system, I love the new TLR-VIR-II. And you get a laser too.

I picked up one too and so far it is pretty cool. Got it at a fair price here too which was surprising. FYI, they don't spec the laser divergence but it is 1.5 MRAD, so at 200 metres you are painting a 12" laser beam on things.

Thanks for the pics @Kline !

Yowza, that is a lot of red throw. Well, this for recreation and not life and death, so that makes a big difference.

Reactions: Kline
I would imagine an ir laser would have the smallest signature vs the larger bezel heads of an led ir.

Not sure how accessible those are tho in your neck of the nape, or if your criteria strictly requires a white/ir combo.

I would imagine an ir laser would have the smallest signature vs the larger bezel heads of an led ir.

Not sure how accessible those are tho in your neck of the nape, or if your criteria strictly requires a white/ir combo.

IR laser availability is bad up here for the same ITAR reasons. Also trying to keep the rail from becoming a Christmas tree covered in devices. Ideally a wihte/IR combo light with an IR laser and also cheap. So, a unicorn.