• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long range 10/22 24”-28” barrels

806guns

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2020
Texas
I currently have a few 10/22’s but looking for a long range bench rest 10/22. I have seen Green Mountain makes a 28” barrel but not currently in stock. Anyone have any leads on 24”-28” barrels. I will be using match ammo. I don’t want to hear I don’t need a 24”-28” barrel. I’m hard headed and staying this route. My current setup. Waiting on my Arken SH4 6-24x50.

Attachments

• 9E8CDD8B-9672-43E6-AF0A-523D4EB1EC2E.jpeg
    9E8CDD8B-9672-43E6-AF0A-523D4EB1EC2E.jpeg
    493.4 KB · Views: 45
Why a 28 inch barrel with a scope? I could see an advantage with a longer barrel using open sights. But you're losing velocity with a barrel that long?

LMAO because you want one. All he asked was why you want one, you could have just answered his question.

Carl

Reactions: GetReal
I currently have a few 10/22’s but looking for a long range bench rest 10/22. I have seen Green Mountain makes a 28” barrel but not currently in stock. Anyone have any leads on 24”-28” barrels. I will be using match ammo. I don’t want to hear I don’t need a 24”-28” barrel. I’m hard headed and staying this route. My current setup. Waiting on my Arken SH4 6-24x50.
10-22 have problem with barrel droop. I would say a 28" barrel would be hard on the 10-22 action. I would put a barrel bedding block mounted to the barrel and free float everything else. Baity Custom Gunworks builds his 10-22 that way.
Mark

Try fast twist ordered at 22 inches I’m putting a 1/9 in my next build I’ve heard they do great at long distance

Last edited:
In the original post it says for a long range bench rest 10/22 🤷🏻

So you put a long barrel on it and reduce velocity for shooting long range, it more accurate? Makes perfect sense to me. :ROFLMAO:

This guy knows a bit about barrels.
----------
"In terms of velocity for the most part a 16” burns up all the powder in a .22RF.
Barrel length vs. accuracy.....the longer barrels in a pure accuracy test won’t be any better per say.
As has been said if your a position shooter the longer barrel and with shooting iron sights helps your sight radius which helps the shooter but if your shooting a scope then the barrel length doesn’t mean as much.
I rebuilt a couple of 52D’s. One duplicated the 28” barrel length and the other as a position rifle but finished the barrel at only 22” and would put a 6” bloop tube on it if iron sights where to be used. You couldn’t complain about accuracy out of each rifle.
That being said all of the 10/22’s and a toggle action PWS T3 I’m putting on 18” barrels. Again the short barrel isn’t hurting anything accuracy or velocity.
Also failed to mention on here when your talking velocities you are not mentioning anything about actual bore and groove sizes and the type of chamber being used. That will effect your velocities as well."

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Last edited:
I just want a 24-28” barrel I understand the ballistics of the 22 lr round

Following ,
28” barrel , I have wanted to do the same thing , long barrel with f class type stock , might read up on Randy at CPC and joe chacon ( build 10/22 benchrest rigs ) , they both thread the receivers on the higher end builds which would help the barrel droop and make it more repeatable
, everyone repeats that the powder is burned up at 16” but actually you gain velocity until 22” ( per a current respected 22 builder ) and another current respected 22 poster has found that the ES on the ammo isn’t as bad on a longer barrel vs the shorter barrel
Please keep posting as you build and test

Following ,
28” barrel , I have wanted to do the same thing , long barrel with f class type stock , might read up on Randy at CPC and joe chacon ( build 10/22 benchrest rigs ) , they both thread the receivers on the higher end builds which would help the barrel droop and make it more repeatable
, everyone repeats that the powder is burned up at 16” but actually you gain velocity until 22” ( per a current respected 22 builder ) and another current respected 22 poster has found that the ES on the ammo isn’t as bad on a longer barrel vs the shorter barrel
/\ /\ /\ /\. This.

Following ,
You nailed this to a T ! Thanks a ton

Reactions: RL6766
The 10-22 part would concern me for the long range precision part but hey I just dont like semis.. 🤷🏽‍♂️
On the long barrel note... I have a RimX with a 26" IBI barrel. I intend to set a bench mark with several ammo types and cut to see for myself the difference.
The SK and Lapua ammo seem to loose the most velocity but I havent had any weather above freezing so it could partly be the cold as I have also found the SK / Lapua to be more temp sensitive.

With other ammo I have found the velocity to be within 20 fps of my 18" ruger bolt.

Speaking of velocity. For NRL22X type matches you dont want your velocity to be to high or you get more wind drift. So if a 26" slows the velocity down to 1050 ish all the better. For ELR then starting off a little faster is good. Just simple ballistics.

If you do go for the long barrel it will be interesting how it works. Semi you will lose velocity faster then with a bolt. The SD difference is also of interest to me but bolt and semi may have different results?

Shilen and Douglas make 24" barrels for the 10/22.
I believe Benchmark does too but not positive.
Joe Chacon builds 10/22 benchrest rifles with 24" Shilen and Douglas barrels that shoot very close with most bolt guns.
I have one of Joe's barreled actions and mine shoots great.
I love my 24" Douglas with 3" tuner; it looks great to me. :cool:

Attachments

• RandolphMachineRest2.jpg
    RandolphMachineRest2.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: 806guns
Can’t find any current production barrels in stock, would have to call around and see what I can come up with. I have a new rifle project so it might be awhile till I find a barrel.

Can’t find any current production barrels in stock, would have to call around and see what I can come up with. I have a new rifle project so it might be awhile till I find a barrel.
Call IBI not everything they do is on the website just standard stuff. They humored me...

I don’t know where to get one but I did own a GM 28” barrel for a while and liked it. Very quiet with a can, wasn’t TOO long to be a problem, shot very well. I have thought of buying another one but just haven’t gotten around to it.

After having built or bought at last 10 benchrest rifles based the 10/22 platform you can take this to the bank! A stock Ruger 10/22 action will not support a .920 barrel over 22in without some type of barrel support. Barrel droop will cause misalignment between the bolt face and barrel breach. The result is shaved bullets on feeding and inconsistent ignition. Threading is better than the v block but still will not support a 26 to 28in heavy barrel. The tenon is simply too short. Steel actions are the only real answer to this barrel droop problem and it will still show up to some extent on long heavy barrels. Find out the hard way or listen to someone who has already spent a lot of time and money finding out that there is absolutely no benefit to barrels over 22in on the 10/22 platform.

Reactions: Sagittarius
What you need to do is find one of the stainless MOA 10/22 actions that are threaded and then put a 28" barrel on it from here. Good luck finding one of those actions though since the guy quit making them 10yrs ago. Or start with a Bergara BXR and go from there.