• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range .22lr offhand at 500 Yards

Re: Long Range .22lr offhand at 500 Yards

Nice shot. I make it about 4 seconds to hear the report of the hit according to the little slide counter under the video. Pretty darn cool!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clayne_b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its a bitch to walk out new targets or do anything. but it is a fun place to shoot </div></div>

care to PM the location?

Some calm day I'd like to give that a try. 425 is as far as I've pushed it....and as far as my scope will dial up.

Great shooting and thanks for the videos. Last weekend I was shooting my 10/22 at 150yds (bench) and a local guy mentioned that I was pushing the limits of the 22LR round. I told him no and that there's a guy shooting them at 500yds. He (understandably) called BS so I busted out my phone and showed him. His reaction: Speechless.

The way you're pushing the limits reminds me of the 223 at a mile project.

Thanks again.

halcyon575

That is funny... Im used to people calling BS. Calling for very high winds tomorrow and rain on Sunday... But my next video will probably be shooting 600 yards!

Heh...150 yards the practical limit of a 22? The other day I was hitting 225 8" steel with a Remington 514 with iron sights about 50% of the time...and hitting the same target with a Mossberg 46B (b) about 75% of the time using regular Blazer 40 grainers. Wind was almost nothing.

I find it funny how people can say a round with an average max range of 1.5 miles can't hit a target passed a few hundred yards.

Most of them just do not have enough sight adjustment.
My scope only allows 96 minutes.
With 5 minutes "wasted" on the bottom, somewhere just past 426yards depending on temperature is my highest adjustment.

Yeah that is the biggest set back is enough adjustment, I have 110 in the base then about 47 with the scope

I shoot an 18 inch gong at 200 on a calm day regularly. Way more impressive - good shooting!

I take it you didn't have much wind cuz the updrafts in that valley would have been hell to compensate for.

What rifle is that? Cz? I shoot a savage mkii btvss. I like shooting subsonic ammo at 1.5" steel at 100 yards on windy days. It helps me practice hold off on the fly when wind conditions are changing. I shoot that with the rifle rested lol.

Cool. I was thinking 300 yards was going to be pushing it, consistent with a Savage MKII heavy, but 300 might work.
Very cool

Yes its a CZ 452 Scout. I was holding 3 mil for wind in that video. I have 2 friends with the Savage TR's that shoot out to 500 yards with me. I have a spinner target with a 6inch bottom and 3 inch top. its set at 213 yards. and it is easy to hit the 6 inch every time. and the 3 inch about 75% of the time. My friend Chris put 30 rounds in a row on the 3 inch one day. He was on fire that day!

Nice shooting, I didn't know the 22lr was capable of going so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clayne_b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">425 is a long ways to adjust with just the scope. what scope are you running?
</div></div>

I can dial almost to 500 with my 22, but have only shot to 400. Hitting clays that far is lots of fun. At about 20% hit rate myself. Biggest issue is bullet vel, as the hits seem to alternate between high and low. Crazy though cause trough the chrono, my ammo has single digit sd and es for 10 rounds.

Have the 5-20 SS with a egw 30moa base, giving me almost 30 mils of up (cant remember exact right now).

My dope at 400 is 21.5 mils shooting Lapua Center-X with a bc of 0.13 at 1060 fps. I have confirmed that at all distances up to 400 and its been light out.
Rifle is a Rem 40x

Keep up good work. I dont really find myself pushing it further than 400 due to the inconsistancies of the ammo. But still fun.

Regards,
DT

That's amazing shooting offhand Clayne! The furthest I've tried so far (prone) is 300 yd - thats 50MOA with my Savage MkII TR, using a 25MOA base, so I have a bit more travel to play with. Next time @ the 700yd range, I'm definitely taking the 22LR, just for fun and to see how far out I can get some hits.

Thanks for the inspiration.