• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long-range caliber selection

heliarcer

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2010
I am looking to build (have build) a long-range rifle and wanted some insight into which caliber to build around. Ideally I would like to reach out as far as I can 2000+ yards. Originally my intentions were to build around the .408 CT; however, after doing some research I realize that there are several cartages claiming to have similar performance. The majority of which utilize a high BC .338, namely the Snipe-Tac and Xtreme Machining cartages. Others include the Chey-Tac .375 and the Barrrett .416. I have a hard time believing some of the .338 ballistic coefficient clams. I don’t claim to know much about BC but it seems that a 300 gr bullet claiming to have a similar BC to a 419 gr Chey-Tac, especially since the CT has had so much money pored into it’s development, seems a little overblown. This being said, I am, however, very interested in the Xtreme Machining .338 (266gr), which on their white papers appears to be flatter shooing than the .408. In addition it is obvious that some of these low production / high BC bullets will no longer be manufactured a few years down the road so considering the availability of reloading components perhaps sticking to the CT or Barrett calibers would be the prudent choice. What are your thoughts on this, and what would you build?

Rocky Mt. Bullets
Xtreme Machining

Re: Long-range caliber selection

Build a .375CT single shot and be done with it. That's a platform that owns ELR distances currently and many here will agree.

A good shooter can get a .338LM to 2000 yards - it's been done with 300gr bullets. I personally have made hits on 10x17" plates at 1750 yards with 250 Scenars. That said, a .408 or especially a .375 will take you much further than that.

Dogtown, thank you for your response. Jamison International sells .375 Sierra 350 gr jacketed projectiles, I am assuming that these can be used interchangeably in the .375 rifle, of course understanding that the monolithic bullets are superior especially at range. I know that Lawton has a lot of experience with these rifles, would you recommend them or another company for the barrel and action?

Barney Lawton wrote the book on shooting solids, so yes they are a good source for a .375 barrel. Jamison is the best source for brass as well, making .375 brass to spec (ie not having to neck down .408 brass). It's very high quality these days too. I can't attest to the performance of the .375 SMKs, though others can here. They most likely will not carry the distance accurately compared to the 350gr solid.

Finished my 375ct in Jan. only shot out to 1000yds so far. It took 2nd in a 1000yd match, while still doing load devlp. Lawton action and barrel, Manners stock with US Optics. Weighs in just under 16lbs.
jq3u3o.jpg

jrs66vette, thats a very nice rifle and an even nicer pool! That is basically the setup I am planning on building. I am a big fan of the traditional stock but the new collapsable aluminum stocks offer quite a bit more compactness so I have been going back and forth for some time. What is the overall length of the gun? Additionally, is there any sage advice you wish to share on what to do or what not to do when building a .375 CT?

That kind of build can be done quite economically. But with a .375 you can't expect a whole lot of compactness - you're looking at a 29" barrel on average.

Economically, hu? I already have the optic I am going to use, nightforce NXS 5.5-22 X 56. And am figuring $1500 or so for a barreled Lawton 8500, $600 or so for the stock, $200 for a jewell trigger. Between accruing, assembly and miscellaneous hardware what would you estimate to be the total cost, done by a good smith?

You are usually looking at about 4k for a basic gun like that. (nonoptics rings etc)

Gents. I dont mean to cut in. However I just wanted to say how pleased I am to have found a place where people speak so intellegently about our passion. I dont shoot as long range as you guys (Im limited to around 1K in Kentucky) and no one around here has the knowlage that I could find. I Hope to call on you guys for advise. If that would be OK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FireingForEffect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gents. I dont mean to cut in. However I just wanted to say how pleased I am to have found a place where people speak so intellegently about our passion. I dont shoot as long range as you guys (Im limited to around 1K in Kentucky) and no one around here has the knowlage that I could find. I Hope to call on you guys for advise. If that would be OK.
</div></div>

There are folks in Kentucky who know everything there is to know about good shooting. Many are members of the Kentucky State Rifle and Pistol Association. That's where you might want to begin your LR journey.

You said your choice would be something like :
408CT
375CT
338ST
take a 375 CT !
Mayby try some 330 Lehigh Solids......i LOVE them loaded to my 9,5x70 Wildcat...

Wish it would be that easy here in Germany

Best
2RECON

Heliarcer make sure you understand the bore dimensions for the bullet you want to shoot! My bore is in the original lost river bullet dimension set up to shoot the 350grn. solid,it shoots lights out with that bullet, I have tried the 350grn smk and the lehighs tried 3 diffrent powders could not get my rifle to shoot those bullets,Talked to not a guru about this he simply stated some can shoot them some cant. Having the same bore demension from the same barrel maker others can get all three to shoot well.just don't understand why some shoot them well and some dont ..Now thier are new twists that start slow then increase for the .375.Do your research well! I would pick the .375 solid and you will be king of ELR.

So I have decided, no surprise, to build a 375 CT with a barreled Lawton action. I am figuring roughly $4K and probably an additional $700 for a repeater. I am planning on running the Lehigh solids, thanks 2RECON for sharing those, it would be nice to have the option to shoot the SMKs and Jamison solids as well but it seems that I will have to wait and see what the gun will shoot. Paul2atlo8, thanks for the insight, I have heard of that happening with a lot of the larger bore rifles. I will probably let the experts at Lawton decide the twist rate(s) for the gun. And at this point I haven’t done too much research other than what I have read on the forum and in the exterior ballistics chapter in the Sierra reloading manual. Are there any good places to start learning about both interior (twist rates and such) and exterior ballistics?

I think it was Noel Carlson that is playing with diffrent twist rates and new projectiles also a very knowledgeable gentleman by the name of Later will give you good info,they both are hide members and post quite frequently. look them up. good luck on your build. Paul