• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Long range elk caliber in a s/a?

I hunt elk with a .260 Remington at around 10,000ft elevation. At this altitude you get the following with factory loaded ammo:

And here's a .30-06 for comparison (same elevation):

Last edited:
This thread has been a special one.

Get a 7/08, stick a 168 VLD in it going 2700fps, and kill a bunch of elk. Same could be done with a 260 and a 130 VLD. Rocket surgery, it isn't.

Tanner

Those will definitely work, will also add the 308 and the 155gr Scenar. That combo has flattened the last 2 elk I have killed. Although, I think I wil use the 139 gr. Scenar out of my GAP 260 this year.

You have plenty of options if you plan to reload, but as it did not sound like that was an option, look into 338 federal, 7-08 or 260. The 338 federal is a great cartridge at 400 yards and under, but those bog bullets drop a lot past 400 yards. The 7-08 is my deer cartridge, as would allow you to take 600 yard shots, but ammo is limited. The 260 rem allows for 600 yards shots, a good selection of factory loads (look into Hunting shack loads) that will easily kill an elk. The 308 should't be ruled out either.

I am doing exactly this at the moment. I own 2, 260's and love the cartridge, but in my opinion, elk at range is far beyond the reasonable expectations of its capabilities. The 7mm-08 and 308 are better, but still not bringing enough to the table. A 7mm or 30 cal magnum are more sensible options. None of this is meant to say that elk cant be killed with the 243,7-08, or the 308, they just dont leave much margin for error.

Given the expense and time that I will have invested in a guided wilderness elk hunt, I am not willing to take a chance with marginal ballistics. I have waited, planned, and saved for this hunt for a long time. Nothing will be left to chance. Mine is a Winchester M-70 in 300 WSM in a Manners stock. Still havent decided on a final load but it will likely be a 180 gr Barnes TSX-BT bullet if I can devolop a load that my rifle likes. If that doesnt work, I will replace the factory tube with a match grade barrel.

[MENTION=30814]zenbiker[/MENTION], the op was looking for a SA cartridge that stood out to his liking since he had a SA already. Since what he really wants is a 300wm it would be silly to do all that work to a SA when LA are easily found and happily traded for a SA. Though I succesfully hunted deer and elk for years with a single shot wsm, I dont think anyone would suggest or spec a hunting rifle as a single shot.

I agree. I just offered an option for his SA; of couse he can get an LA, in which case I'd still recommend the 300 Win as the cartridge of choice for the reasons states. And, call me silly, as I hunt with a single shot rifle - just like you did. Like I said, I have a shell holder on the gun in front of the action. And then there are those silly Ruger No. 1s; refresh my memory on how many rounds go in the mag in one of those? I will be dead honest with you, I have never shot at a deer more than 339 yards by rangefinder and never needed more than one round to bring them down. As many here properly state, shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.

You need to contribute to the original poster's request and stop beating suggestions made by others. It adds nothing to their quest for information and generally just brings the "hide down. I look forward to talking with you in the future on other topics, and to the original poster, best of luck on your project and your hunt.

-Zen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD