• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Long-Range Handgunning With Iron Sights

Re: Long-Range Handgunning With Iron Sights

I've done a lot of long range shooting with S&W N frames in .44 magnum and the Freedom Arms .454 Casull.
Elmer's principles work, I've made hits out to 1/4 mile with the .454 using Elmer's front sight hold up method.
reference marks on the front sight make it easier to establish holdover, but they don't have to be the type Elmer refers to.
A fiber optic front sight will give you several reference point as will a brass bead or a tritium insert.

Re: Long-Range Handgunning With Iron Sights

Wow! One of my favorite past times...

We were just shooting the 500-yard steel goat at our range yesterday with a 7.5" Ruger Red Hawk and 240gr. XTP's at 1,450fps. It took holding up 3/4th's of the front sight and stacking the goat on top... also needed 3 feet of left Kentucky windage. Once we figured the wind we were hitting 50%. It's a hoot.

My hit percentages with my carry Glock 35 in .357 Sig drop to 25%, but most people at the range don't believe what they are seeing.

All it takes is practice, and it makes those 25-yard IDPA hostage targets seem a piece of cake!

Chops