• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes long range hunting scope

okiecat

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2008
Carnegie,Ok
I know you guys are the experts or I wouldn't have asked. This is going on an old Rem 600 in 6.5X284. Built in 1981. So I need light wt, around 26oz. I need great twighlight ability. 30mm. At least elevation turret and side focus. A good tree reticle. And around 1500 +or- 300 Oh would like it around 13" or less. Not fond of Lupy"s. And I shoot from 50 to 700 but no steel with this gun except to ck come ups

the trade off I see here is "light wt" vs great twilight performance, turrets, 30mm and a large objective are going to have some weight. perhaps even oversize your 600. Bushy LRHS would fit. good glass, dead nuts on tracking and smaller size. not so great on the low light. not crappy but not the best. it would look pretty balanced on the 600, go bigger and take your choice. night force has a couple of nice offerings not sure on the tree reticle, but a usable one for sure. shv 50mm objective comes to mind in the f1 with 14 power on the top end I could be happy.

Idahoorion

Thanks Idahoorion, I know the wt thing is holding me back. And I don't won't it to look like an elephant on a skateboard I have a Mk 4 on it now but optics suck. Any of the Anthon's work. Never seen one but hear a lot about on here.

I know you said no leupold but the Mk6 3-18 is only 1550 with H58 right now on Midway. Hard to beat that for the price tag and Horus reticle. The bushy LRHS would be another decent option as mentioned above.

Thanks Idahoorion, I know the wt thing is holding me back. And I don't won't it to look like an elephant on a skateboard I have a Mk 4 on it now but optics suck. Any of the Anthon's work. Never seen one but hear a lot about on here.

The Midas 2.5-15x50 is right at 26oz. It's SFP and not as compact as other scopes mentioned.

A used March 3-24 might be something you could get into.

Then as mentioned the Bushnell LRHS. Probably the best value at used price of around $1000.

The new Zeiss Conquest V6. Good hunting reticles finally, to include xmas tree, amazing optics, and solid turrets. My 3-18x50 has over 100 moa adjustment, about 13" long, and is 22 oz. They have a 5-30 as well but a bit less travel, 80 moa I think and is a tad longer. If you're military or Leo you can get it for a great price.

Edit: if you're a 2nd focal plane guy for hunting

https://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/SportsOptics/usa/pdf/zeiss_conquest-v6_flyer_us.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a923ba450f67571bbc7e6432545b8051.jpg

a9724a3abd6e935c03e6953fd076e873.jpg

1f200f86915f69fcc60faa835f5c8384.jpg

Last edited:
Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44 might fit the bill if you want FFP.

I know you said you are not a fan of Leupold, but if you are OK with SFP, the new VX-6 HD 3-18x44 is a very nice scope. I am testing one now, and I am pretty impressed.

ILya

If length were not as big of and issue I'd say the Razor AMG would be perfect for you.

Thanks to everybody This list really helps. More choices than I thought. I have an old Zeiss Conquest thats ok but its just a 4 plex. Will research all and decide next wk.

I say spring for a used like new NF 4-16 ATACR F1.. 30oz, 12.6 inches long with capped windage and locking at "0" elevation turret. It has 34mm tube for plenty of internal travel, only downside Is they don't have a tree reticle unless you go with a Tremor3 type reticle which isn't ideal for hunting. The Mil-R would do just fine for hunting purposes, NF optics are great scopes.. They also offer a 4-16x50 in sfp that would make a nice hunting scope. Jmo...

What species do you plan to hunt with that rifle?

​​​​Horus reticles can be very nice for open country like with antelope and sheep.
Something like a mil-r is better for areas with lots of shade and brush.

Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44 or the new Vortex PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP, I went with the PST for my .308 Tikka T3 hunter, glass and turrets are a great improvement over the Gen I

One more vote for the Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44. There's better glass, but for the money it cannot be beat for a hunting scope. The lower power version has a more forgiving eyebox.

Wow you guys have made this tough! I have hunted sheep and I still hunt Mule deer. But mostly whitetails here in SW Ok. Pretty open except for creeks. Im considering moving a Zeiss Conquest Plex to this gun and buying a new full size tac rig for my LR 700 in 6.5 Saum. Thanks again to all

I'm such a big fan of the Bushnell LRHS that I bought 2! Very clear glass. Glass > Objective size. I actually really like the 44mm objective because I can use low rings and get the scope very low to the barrel.

Not to hijack the thread but FireShooter, how do you like the capped windage on the LRHS vs the locking windage turret on the LRTS?

Thanks,

John

It really doesn't make a huge difference to me on the windage turret. I don't dial windage, I prefer to hold. If you do dial windage then the LRTS would definitely be the way to go. I slightly prefer the G3 reticle to the G2H. Both are very usable but I have grown to appreciate the simplicity of the G3 reticle. The "splines" on the elevation turret on the LRHS dont line up with every tenth mil on the turret but every other tenth mil, so after the Zero stop is set on the elevation there is the potential for the turret to appear off by 1/10th of a mil. This is a minor annoyance and is easily worked around. It is not an issue in the LRTS. Those are really the practical differences between the 2 models.

If you wanted a FFP option the Burris Veracity scopes look interesting and the weight is about what you are looking at. You can also get them with target turrets or covered turrets for elevation and windage or just one or the other...

One more vote for the Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44. There's better glass, but for the money it cannot be beat for a hunting scope. The lower power version has a more forgiving eyebox.

I'll nod to this as well. For the money i honestly can't see the LRHS/LRTS being beat. It's a metric ton of scope for the money. Glass is just downright impressive.

Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44 might fit the bill if you want FFP.

I know you said you are not a fan of Leupold, but if you are OK with SFP, the new VX-6 HD 3-18x44 is a very nice scope. I am testing one now, and I am pretty impressed.

ILya
ILya,,I would love to get some more detail/impressions on the VX-6 you're testing. I started the "March Eyebox" thread and it sounds like the VX-6 might be the answer I'm looking for.

I just picked up an Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29 for my 300 WSM and am very pleased with it

. As for the glass -I don't think it's that far behind my S&B PMII 5-25. The lit recticle puts my S&B to shame and have no trouble seeing it on a bright sunny day. IMO This scope gave me the best value per dollar spent. . I almost purchased the Athlon Aires BTR which is another great scope for the money spent

Just wanted to let all know what I did on my scope purchase. First off, thanks to all for the help. Im not a regular and Im too old to shoot the PRS anymore. We used to just call them long range steel or UKd. Shot the Hotter than Hell twice. Anyway I went over budget and purchased a night force ATACR 4.5-16X42 Gotta love em. Really improved optics over my old NXS of 11 yrs ago.

Just wanted to let all know what I did on my scope purchase. First off, thanks to all for the help. Im not a regular and Im too old to shoot the PRS anymore. We used to just call them long range steel or UKd. Shot the Hotter than Hell twice. Anyway I went over budget and purchased a night force ATACR 4.5-16X42 Gotta love em. Really improved optics over my old NXS of 11 yrs ago.

That's a solid choice. I've wanted an ATACR 4-16 for some time now.

BOOM!! I WIN!! Nah, just kidding guys... It's a great optic Okie, I love mine by the way.. I hope it serves you well and may you kill alot of furry creatures with it... haha...

I just picked up an Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29 for my 300 WSM and am very pleased with it

. As for the glass -I don't think it's that far behind my S&B PMII 5-25. The lit recticle puts my S&B to shame and have no trouble seeing it on a bright sunny day. IMO This scope gave me the best value per dollar spent. . I almost purchased the Athlon Aires BTR which is another great scope for the money spent

What made you choose the Cronus over the Ares?

What made you choose the Cronus over the Ares?

I didn't choose. She who must be obeyed heard me talking to my friend about these scopes and ordered the Cronus for me for my birthday

Attachments

• photo67045.jpg
    photo67045.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 14
  • photo67046.jpg
    photo67046.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 17
  • photo67047.jpg
    photo67047.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 15