• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Long Range Mulie

pgar171

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2013
Hunting mule deer in Idaho with Heaven's Gate Outfitters. We get to a point that has a great view and start glassing. This bruiser steps out at 718 yards. My guide looks at me and ask if I can make the shot. I said yes, but my rifle (custom 6.5 creedmoor) was set up out to 600. He said his rifle could make the shot. A custom gunwerks 6.5 creedmoor with a gunwerks custom turret on a 2.5-10 night force. worked perfectly. dropped where it stood. hornady 140 grain match ammo. 190" and 31.5" spread.
bestmulie.jpg

Great buck! The “tweaked” picture looks sweet too! I have hunted Idaho several times as non resident, we just moved here a few months ago and can’t wait till next year for my more affordable resident tags..!

can you elaborate more on the whole "my gun was only set up for 600, so i used his"

just curious. what about your set up limited you to not being able to hold over or dial up to 718?

awesome deer! and good job
I had a full custom Hill country rifles 6.5 creedmoor with a Swarovski z5 3.5-18 scope with a custom turret that maxed out at 600 yards. It did not have any adjustment past that point. So I could not make the shot with my rifle beyond 600 yards. I was fully prepared to take a long shot, and I was able to make the shot with the guide's gun that had a turret that allowed for shots beyond 800 yards because of the custom turret based on MOA adjustments.

Reactions: Olen_4504
good on you for not trying to force a shot beyond what your scope was set up for and possibly wounding him.

Hunting mule deer in Idaho with Heaven's Gate Outfitters. We get to a point that has a great view and start glassing. This bruiser steps out at 718 yards. My guide looks at me and ask if I can make the shot. I said yes, but my rifle (custom 6.5 creedmoor) was set up out to 600. He said his rifle could make the shot. A custom gunwerks 6.5 creedmoor with a gunwerks custom turret on a 2.5-10 night force. worked perfectly. dropped where it stood. hornady 140 grain match ammo. 190" and 31.5" spread.View attachment 6970323

Were you up in the Riggins area camp have hunted around there a for the last three years. That is some tough country and a well earned trophy

Were you up in the Riggins area camp have hunted around there a for the last three years. That is some tough country and a well earned trophy
Not Riggins. We were near Council, Idaho. The mountains over my right shoulder are in Oregon.

Not Riggins. We were near Council, Idaho. The mountains over my right shoulder are in Oregon.

I was wondering what camp as i know they have a few different ones. One of the guides i talked to this year said it had been tough up north