• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range Newbie with some questions to get me started

jlgil73

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2017
Missouri
I am sorry if this is the wrong forum I am not on here much. First off let me say that I have been a shooter for a while. However, just ARs and nothing over really 150 yards, mostly under 100 and at steel. I decided I wanted to get into PRS since my kids are getting older and I have my weekends free as oposed to going to my kids sporting events. Im sure I have some bad habits that will need to be worked out...

I purchased a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 22" barrel a few months ago as an entry to make sure I enjoyed it before getting into serious money. Optic is a Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25 with the EBR2D reticle. It is sitting in Vortex Precision (seekins) .97 rings on a 20 MOA Area 419 base. I have been buying ammo for a while and the one I have most of is Hornady Match 140ELDs (due to local availability). I dont have a chrono, and have no experiance using a ballistic calulator. I currently have a Christensen Arms Side Baffle Brake off of my MPP. I may decide to run a can if it isnt too cumersome. (pics from some of the local matches most folks dont seem to run cans for some reason)

Here are my initial questions I thought of... (mostly to get me started on my holds)

How exactly do I determine height over bore for a calculator?
Which B.C. do I enter into the a calculator G1 or G7? (and should I know the difference?)
Has anyone chronoed Hornady 140 ELD out of a Bergara 22" and what were the results?
Does anyone have dope info on this that I can start out with and use for a 100 yd zero?
Have people been happy with the Hornady ELDs?

Photo of my set-up for prosperity..

Last edited:
Reactions: 338dude
Here are my initial questions I thought of... (mostly to get me started on my holds)

Which B.C. do I enter into the a calculator G1 or G7? (and should I know the difference?)
Has anyone chronoed Hornady 140 ELD out of a Bergara 22" and what were the results?
Does anyone have dope info on this that I can start out with and use for a 100 yd zero?
In order:

You can use dial calipers, a machinists rule or a plain ruler/measuring tape. The finer the measurements the more accurate it will be. Measure from the center of the barrel (is usually a vent on the receiver at this point) to the center of the scope tube. Convert to decimals if needed.

Either G model is fine, just be sure the value you use matches the model you chose, the G7 will be the smaller number.

I don't have a Bergara, but 2660-2670 fps should get you in the ballpark.

You don't need dope for a 100 yard zero. Pull the bolt out, bag the rear of the gun on target and bore sight it. Then get your real zero from there.
Be aware the zero stop on that model Viper is a bit odd:

Once you have it zeroed you can then try a few ballistic apps out and try to true things up at distance. The Hornady 4DOF app and BallisticsArc are both free (BA for one rifle only).
I prefer the features and workflow of Strelok Pro but it's $12, try the freebies out first.

Search for and read the various threads on weaponized math here.

In general I've been happy with the Hornady Match ammo with 140 ELD-M.

There is a table of "try dope" in the weaponized math thread linked above. It is a stroke of sheer brilliance.

Once you have a 100 yard zero you just start at the box listed velocity and follow the try/actual values out to range.

G1 v G7 are two different profiles (shapes). G1 most closely resembles flat based projectiles and varies wildly with velocity. G7 approximates a boat tail projectile and although the values DO change with velocity, they are negligible compared to the change in G1. You are using a 6.5mm with eldm's, go with the G7 value.

I don't shoot factory loaded ammo, but the Hornady eldm/x projectiles have all performed well for me across multiple projectile weights and calibres. Bang for buck, they are very good.

Hornady also has their own free CFD ballistic calculator.

Thanks Guys, That is good info. Thanks for telling me where to look! And thanks 6.5SH for the video links on the setting zero on the PST. I have heard it was different. Looking forward to learning about long range...

Reactions: 338dude
I am sorry if this is the wrong forum I am not on here much. First off let me say that I have been a shooter for a while. However, just ARs and nothing over really 150 yards, mostly under 100 and at steel. I decided I wanted to get into PRS since my kids are getting older and I have my weekends free as oposed to going to my kids sporting events. Im sure I have some bad habits that will need to be worked out...

I purchased a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 22" barrel a few months ago as an entry to make sure I enjoyed it before getting into serious money. Optic is a Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25 with the EBR2D reticle. It is sitting in Vortex Precision (seekins) .97 rings on a 20 MOA Area 419 base. I have been buying ammo for a while and the one I have most of is Hornady Match 140ELDs (due to local availability). I dont have a chrono, and have no experiance using a ballistic calulator. I currently have a Christensen Arms Side Baffle Brake off of my MPP. I may decide to run a can if it isnt too cumersome. (pics from some of the local matches most folks dont seem to run cans for some reason)

Photo of my set-up for prosperity..
image.jpg