• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range Rifle and Sniper matches in Blakely,GA

fpgb1

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2005
Birmingham,AL
I will be running some long range rifle and sniper type matches at American International Marksmanship Academy in Blakely,GA, I will also be running tactical rifle(AR-15 type) matches and USPSA competition there as well. The facility will also offer training and memberships as well. You can more info on the facility at www.marksmanshipacademy.com

I should have something posted on the company website with a schedule pretty soon. The first rifle match will be mid/late Feb. Witha course of fire similare to Hard Rock with a side match or 2 as well. The place has awesome ranges including a 2200 meter unknown distance range, 1000 yard known distance range and onsite lodging. More info on me and my background is on the company website or at www.wayofthegun.us This should be alot of fun and I would like some input from you guys as to what you would like to see in a match. Thanks for checking it out.

Re: Long Range Rifle and Sniper matches in Blakely,GA

This is great news!!! Glad to see new venues opening in the Southeast!!

Look forward to seeing AIM and your matches.

Thanks for all your help for the Military, Law enforcement, and competition community!!!

Frank puts on a great match. With these facilities at his disposal, I would imagine that these matches will do very well.

Looking forward to more info. Keep us updated here on the hide as this is the easiest place I have found to locate matches.

I will keep y'all posted, I'm working out some details and should have a date soon.

This is great news. I had a feeling this was gonna happen. Thanks for all your hard work.

How many people would be interested in a long range match similar to Hard Rock's format on the 4th Saturday of every month begining 25 Feb?

I am, and I'm sure there will be a few others from around here.

I'm down for it
smile.gif

Put me on the list, I am definitely interested. I should be able to make the first competition on the 25th.

I've been cleared hot to use the 1000 yard range for Hard rock Style matches by placing steel out on the berms. This will be nice because we can run alot of shooters per firing order and the overhead cover is really nice. There is anotehr even ton that range on the 25th however so I'm looking at a slighltly different style match on the unknown distant range. There are about 50 steel targets at varying ranges on that range. My thought right now are something like color coding the targets, and setting up say 5 firing points. 5 shooters come to the line at a time, they are given a shooting sequence for 5 specific targets(each shooter will have different targets)I can make this a range card with known range to each target or make it to where the shooter has to come up with the range. Each relay will be for a 10 minutes shooters will have no more than 10 rounds. No more than 3 rounds can be fired at any target. Points based on 1st second or 3rd round hit. Through out the day each shooter will shoot several relays. I may tweak out number of targets and time limit. My goal will be for everyone to shoot more and stand around less and get to shoot in different wind and temp conditions. I plan to score it off spotting scope to save time also, with this set up it would require 2 people on glass per shooter to be fair. That would require competitor to sit on glass and score other shooters. Being on glass watching people shoot and seeing what happens is a great learning tool also. Alos this match will have to be all fired prone or some other shooting position, there are no benches on this range. Shooters would have minimal time to set up and should only come to the line with what they can carry in their back or in hand in 1 trip. Targets are in the 300 to 1000 range I beleive, I'll be back down there in a couple weeks when I get done with the Army class I'm running. Let me know what y'all think.

It sounds great, well worth the two and a half hour drive I would have to take. I like the idea of color coding targets and putting ranges with them. What if you had a couple known distance targets and a couple unknown distances to mix it up a bit. Just a thought...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fpgb1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...My goal will be for everyone to shoot more and stand around less...</div></div>

Hell yeah. Sign me up.

I'll show up when ever you run a match.

OK. There will be a Precision Tactical Rifle Match on the 25th of February. I'll tweak out the details of the course of fire, but it will be very similar to the course of fire listed above, I will tweak the time limits and number of targets per relay alos. My goal is for everyone to to have a good time and shoot as much as possible and every shooter will shoot in a variety of shooting conditions. I'm leaning towards Some unknown distance targets as well requiring the shooter to come up with the full firing solution. More to follow, I'll post the complete rules and course of fire layout soon.

please add me to the roster for 2/25, the format sounds great

Any idea what size in moa the targets will be?

The current targets are kinda big(etype). There will be plenty of challenge to be had though with time limit and distance. Only 2 rounds per target and limited time. There will be a couple side matches also and after the match is shot the range will still be open to shoot on. More to follow.

any chance we could shoot the longer range targets on the ukd range after the match? it would be a great chance to shoot my trg 42 in 338 lapua (not many opportunities to stretch that one out!) thanks

I'm still tweaking course of fire stuff and will post it soon. There will be one or 2 side matches going also so that no one is standing around that doesn't want to. The range will be open after the match for 1-2 hours for practice. One of the side matches will probably be an extended range target or 2 also!

Match still on for Feb 25???....please add me to the list.

Thanks

I'm down at the Range right now and have been thinking on the course of fire and have come up with a solution to keep people shooting more and standing around less. Here's what I've got. I should be able to get 10-15 shooters on the line at a time, the targets will be labeled with letters or numbers, shooters will be given a range card when they come to the line, some targets will not have a range to target on the range card the shooter will have to come up with range. After a pretty short set up time(5 min) all shooters will be given a target, one shooter at a time shooters wil be given the signal to engage the shooter will have 20 seconds to fire a shot , if they hit the next shooter will be given the command. If the shooter misses they will have 10 seconds to get another round off. First round hits are worth 10 points 2nd round hits are worth 5 points. This will go on til each shooter has engaged 10 targets then we will rotate new shooters into the firing order. Shooters will not be allowed to look through their scope until it is their turn to shoot. There will also be a side match with a couple extreme long range targets. The targets for the main match will be in the 300-800 meter range(there are about 40 of them) the side match targets will be further than that!! This should be afun match. I'll type up some official rules and get them posted. The AIM website is currently under construction, but there are still directions on the current site. There will be 4 classes based on caliber .223(anything built on a .223 case) .308 only, .308 based calibers, and anything goes class. We will shoot as many firing orders as possible bring about 100 rounds for the match, plus whatever you wan tto shoot afterwards. Registration will be at the AIM pro shop at 0830. Match fee will be $25, the range will be open after the match to give shooters the opportunity to work on lessons learned from the match. This match will continue to develop into more fun and challenging courses of fire.

im in airborne school right now at ft benning, anyone want to loan me a rifle for the shoot?

Are spectators welcome?
I've never been to any kind of match before and would like visit one to see what to expect before I show up to one and make a fool out of myself.

I cannot make the one next weekend, but was interested in future matches you might be holding at the academy's facility. Very short drive for me, so it would be awesome if I could spectate one day.

Thanks,
JED

Here's a pic from the firing line, there are 43 targets in that big group from 300 -700 something meters, I'll be shifting some of them around out a bit longer. We will also have a course of fire or 2 that will require shooting off a shooting platform that is similar in hieght to a truck hood.
Range.jpg

doesn't look like you can see the targets in the picture, I was able to zoom in on the picture with my phone and see them. I'll try to get a better picture next week.

Guys I have Known fpgb1 for 20 years and he has been there And done that has the t-shirt and is most Humble about it.

I have a meeting next week to talk about some special things with Night vision and some comps with fpgb1...

anyone that can should go to this match you will come away a better shooter !

More than welcome to come check it out, it will be a pretty low key environment if you'd like to shoot it, you will probably get more out of it that way. I'll help you out if you need anything, I've got a loaner rifle also.

More than welcome to come check it out, it will be a pretty low key environment if you'd like to shoot it, you will probably get more out of it that way. I'll help you out if you need anything, I've got a loaner rifle also.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jethro3898</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are spectators welcome?
I've never been to any kind of match before and would like visit one to see what to expect before I show up to one and make a fool out of myself.

I cannot make the one next weekend, but was interested in future matches you might be holding at the academy's facility. Very short drive for me, so it would be awesome if I could spectate one day.

Thanks,
JED </div></div>

Do we need to reserve a spot in advance? Or just show up on Saturday? Btw, here are some pic's of the UKD range I took back in November.

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

That UKD course looks awesome! Congrats on getting that set up. I'm 7 hours away but that challenge looks like it would be worth the drive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That UKD course looks awesome! Congrats on getting that set up. I'm 7 hours away but that challenge looks like it would be worth the drive. </div></div>
I can't take credit for setting that range up AIM did that, I'm just organizing this match, we will be tweaking this thing and make these matches challenging and as much fun as possible.

Thanks for adding these pics. There is no need to pre register for the match just show up at the Pro shop at 0830.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FT308W</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do we need to reserve a spot in advance? Or just show up on Saturday? Btw, here are some pic's of the UKD range I took back in November.

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg
</div></div>

Just a quick admin note. No need to pre register or hold a slot. We do need everyone who would like to attend to be at the pro shop pretty close to 0830. We'll do the sign in stuff there and then head out to the range. We'll do sign in til 0930 then do a quick in brief/safety brief then move to the range. We will push to go hot by 1000. The road into the range will be closed at that time. If you show up late we can get someone to bring you around the back way, but do your best to get there in advance. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Huckleberry and I are setting up the range, it's looking good got a 1 mile shot set up and about to put one at 2200! Plenty of stuff from 300-1000 also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fpgb1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Huckleberry and I are setting up the range, it's looking good got a 1 mile shot set up and about to put one at 2200! Plenty of stuff from 300-1000 also </div></div>

Looking forward to tomorrow. Looking like we will be seeing some wind as well.

here is the d%#b ? of the day...are you in cst or est? i dont want to show up an hour late! thanks

Eastern time over here. I wasn't happy with the spot for 2200, but did find a good place at 1950. The range looks awesome, should be a good time tomorrow and will get better every month.

Can't make this one, but sidekick an I well be GTG for the next one.
Do you envision a UKD, none LRF, team shoot, at some point in time?