• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range Rifle Ranges

lrankine

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2017
I just found out that the closest LRRR (if you can call a two hour drive close) is closing for some ambiguous reason. Living in the "east" is problematic when it comes to ranges that get out to 1000+. Even beyond 500 can be an effort in futility. Is there any index or list of ranges (I'm in western NC) showing where a person can shoot? Thanks!

What's the name of the range that's closing?

Most of the range directories out there contain every fudd rod and gun club out there leaving you with no way to tell what their max distance is or if they allow steel targets short of reading through every single entry.

It's called SCOTG (South Carolina Official Training Ground). It's in Laurens, SC.

That sucks, as of 11/29 their FB page said they would be open through 2018......

I do remember a discussion about south carolina long range facilities here. Do a google search with the terms snipershide south carolina and I bet it turns up.

I'm in Asheville and have been a member of SCOTG for two years, it's too bad the place isn't going to be open for memberships anymore, it is a very nice facility. I'm going to join K&M, it's a 7-hour drive from Asheville but there is a bunkhouse to overnight on the range and that facility is world class.

I just found out that the closest LRRR (if you can call a two hour drive close) is closing for some ambiguous reason. Living in the "east" is problematic when it comes to ranges that get out to 1000+. Even beyond 500 can be an effort in futility. Is there any index or list of ranges (I'm in western NC) showing where a person can shoot? Thanks!

Try living in Michigan. We have 1 long range (1000yd), count them 1 in this state and is so far out of the way for the majority of the state that its a pointless drive to reach it. 4+ hours each way is no way to practice.

When I lived in WNC I shot at home and in Pisgah Nat Forest. I assume it’s still open to shooting? Will mean lots of walking unless you have a horse.

When I lived in WNC I shot at home and in Pisgah Nat Forest. I assume it’s still open to shooting? Will mean lots of walking unless you have a horse.

Where did you go? I know you can hunt there so I assume you can still shoot but it seems pretty crowded for long distance shooting.

Not the best system, but Applied Ballistics has a rudimentary collection of ranges. http://appliedballisticsllc.com/ranges/ Not much showing on there for vicinity of Asheville, NC that I used as a quick search, ORSA outside Knoxville was closest! There's some that would be closer, but are match/training oriented like Bang Steel (great matches there, BTW). http://www.bangsteel.com/home.html

Beat me to it Red. That one was put up earlier by one of our members...'Doc' I believe.

someone forwarded me info one opening in Tenn that is about 2.5 hours from you - north of Cleveland Tenn somewhere

Sad to hear about SCOTG. It's only about an hour from me. They came up on my radar when I was looking but they didn't have an actual website, just a FB page that hadn't been updated in over a year. My brother was looking forward to joining once he finishes contracting in the sandbox. He'll be very disappointed.

I ended up with a membership at Elbert County Gun Club in Elberton GA. Their range only goes out to 400 yards but they have monthly 600 & 1,000 yard matches held off-site but nearby. I think those are held at Gun Site Hills in Lexington GA. I don't think you can get memberships at Gun Site Hills, you pay a $25 daily range fee. You'd have to shoot a lot of days (22) to rack up the $550 cost of an annual membership at SCOTG.

There is also a 1,000(+?) range called Frontline. I think they're just north of Raleigh NC. I've heard great things about them.

I'm in upstate SC and yes, long distance ranges are few and far between. There are lots of public (as in government owned and run but free) ranges that are 100 yards and that probably fits the bill for 90-95% of people, so the keeping a long range facility in the black is a challenge.

Thanks 308pirate , I'll check out those Tennessee ranges.

I just checked out both. Both have very reasonable annual membership fees.

Sadly, Strategic Edge has a waiting list. For paper and steel out to 1,200, but a 6 hour drive for me.

Dead Zero is only 5 hours from me. They go out to 1,000 but have "electronic" ranges. I think that means you never have to go downrange. I don't know if you actually get to retrieve your actual targets.

Nice heads up. Thanks again.

Where did you go? I know you can hunt there so I assume you can still shoot but it seems pretty crowded for long distance shooting.

Let the slave carrying a torch looking for master guide your way.

Try living in Michigan. We have 1 long range (1000yd), count them 1 in this state and is so far out of the way for the majority of the state that its a pointless drive to reach it. 4+ hours each way is no way to practice.

Two here in PA, unless 600-700 yards is really your idea of distance. Otherwise, one's dead center in the middle of PA, and the other is in the boonies about three-quarters of the way to OH. Good luck getting into a decent range here. The in money is ludicrous, even if enrollment is open, which it usually isn't.

I live in Charleston, SC there is a 600yd range just south of Columbia near Swansea, SC called Sandlapper its pretty good $25 for a day pass or $300 per year. I was wanting to go out to at least 1000yds so I joined Frontline Defense near Raleigh, NC it is a top notch place ran by a former military guy and he doesn't put up with any BS and he's big on safety you have to be a member and qualify to shoot on the 1000yd range. I found the Clinton House recently between Columbia and Spartenburg right off I-26 they have a 1000yd range you have to call first and reserve two hour blocks $50 per two hour block and its only you and who ever you bring shooting on the 1000yds range.

I just found a 1,060 yard range in Sabinal, TX. The info I found says steel from 209 - 1,060. Range fee is $50 per visit per person. The info I found doesn’t contain any info in regards to any memberships, etc. This range is a short ways south of San Antonio, TX so if anyone has any additional info it’d be much appreciated.

This makes me appreciate Ohio more and more. Thunder Valley Precision and Rayner's Range are 2.5 hrs away, both with steel everywhere to 1000 yd plus. Miami Rifle & Pistol has a 600 yd KD range with pits 1.25 hrs away.

TVP isn't open all the time, but there's enough matches and open range days to keep most happy. Rayner's steel range is open anytime there isn't a match going on. MRPC is members only but has an open 600 yard squadded practice once a month plus lots of matches open the public. That 600 yd practice is invaluable to fine tune one's position and test loads at distance since the NRA prone and F class bullseye targets give you a level of feedback and resolution that you just cannot get from steel.

There's also a really strong NRA long range prone program with midrange (300 - 600) and long range (800 - 1000) matches at Camp Atterbury Indiana (2.5 hrs west of here) run by the Central Indiana Highpower Rifle Shooters and they're all open to the public. Also no gun registration to get on post.

Two here in PA, unless 600-700 yards is really your idea of distance. .
To be completely honest, that distance is quite beyond the skill of most shooters. And if shooting 2 MOA plates at that range gets boring, try your hand at some 600 yd NRA F class using your normal PRS type rig.

I believe most here would be humbled trying to score 190 or better, particularly in F-TR (limited to 308 or 223).