• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range Rifle, Rayner's Range - Zanesville, OH

mscott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Ohio
Here's a few quick details:
August 30, 2009
Registration 9:00 AM shooting starts at 10:00
$10 per class (optic, metalic sights, handgun)
Targets are steel plates
Distance is 200-900 yards. Target distance will be known.
Shooters may choose their own spotter.
Competitors may use benches and sand bags provided or their own bipods, shooting mats, or stix
Chamber flags required or bolts removed until ready to shoot
Concession stand ... match will break for lunch

I'm not sure about how many targets, so round count depends on how many shots are needed to hit the targets ... 50 rounds should be plenty.

http://www.raynersrange.com/

Re: Long Range Rifle, Rayner's Range - Zanesville, OH

Course of Fire?

(900 yards is a long way with a handgun and metallic sights
grin.gif
)

This will be the first match for them, so I'm not sure about all the details. I know there will be several stations with maybe 3 or so targets from each one. I think the handgun class was added for folks with Contenders and such. Apparently several guys asked for it.

Is there a limit to caliber, magnum, non magnum to the long range rifle course? I would be shooting a .30 caliber magnum that isn't real kind to certain types of steel. Don't want to show up and upset anyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J Mill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a limit to caliber, magnum, non magnum to the long range rifle course? I would be shooting a .30 caliber magnum that isn't real kind to certain types of steel. Don't want to show up and upset anyone. </div></div>

It's not good steel, but he's going to cut if off at .338. You should be fine. This first match will certainly be a learning experience and I'm sure he'll figure out what works and what does not.

Just asked him this same question and he replied "No 50 cals or 416's on the steel also no steel core or armor piercing bullets. Tom". He also said if you want practice time on the range, the charge is only $10. Sounds like a great deal to me. I'm trying to get a couple of guys from Dayton to head over there this weekend to try it out.

any word on targets and coarse of fire yet?

From what I understand there will be 6 positions with 3 targets from each position. You will get up to 3 shots per target and varied points for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round hits.

Six of us just shot there today and Mr Rayner is a heck of a nice guy! Match should be a good time.

Sounds almost like a carbon copy of our set-up? I will be there to shoot the match.

Tom
TVP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds almost like a carbon copy of our set-up? I will be there to shoot the match.

Tom
TVP </div></div>

Similar, but different targets. I passed along your scoring method as a suggestion since it seems to be a good one. Tom and his son were at your match a couple of weeks ago.

Scott,

Let them know about this SUNDAY if they want to come out.

Thanks,
Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds almost like a carbon copy of our set-up? I will be there to shoot the match.

Tom
TVP </div></div>

Similar, but different targets. I passed along your scoring method as a suggestion since it seems to be a good one. Tom and his son were at your match a couple of weeks ago. </div></div>

sarver you need to shoot a pice of shit .308 with factory ammo....no 260's or 300hawk shit....play nice

I don't think this should be a place to talk smack!
Many of us have never shot this course.
Some like the idea of iron, and short guns.
I believe Son beat Dad.
Could we have known ranges?

New course, new things.

Not the first dance Alice!

Sorry many missed the shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think this should be a place to talk smack!
Many of us have never shot this course.
Some like the idea of iron, and short guns.
I believe Son beat Dad.
Could we have known ranges?

New course, new things.

Not the first dance Alice!

Sorry many missed the shoot. </div></div>

not sure who you are referring to but i haven't seen any smack talking goin on. maybe a little friendly ribbing but really just kiddin around. i have never shot the coarse either so don't get all worked up over it Glen.........

Going to try and make it to the shoot how about some known distances. Depending on the distances,it will have a bearing on what rifle I bring.

Thanks
John

Not getting worked up.
Would be nice to know Yardage's to get dope worked up though!
Some might not have our sense of humor.
Any word on target size?
We were talking about coming over.

Can't we all get along? Ha Ha....
dgunn I don't want to have to pull Glen off of you...
When you coming back to TVP? You going to be at Rainers?

Hey everyone, next match here at TVP August 16th Sunday 10:00 a.m.

Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not getting worked up.
Would be nice to know Yardage's to get dope worked up though!
Some might not have our sense of humor.
Any word on target size?
We were talking about coming over. </div></div>

200-900yds
bigger targets than tvp hopefully.....
you shoot at one of the best ranges around....i would think you have dope worked as far as your rifle can shoot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ohiogunnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just asked him this same question and he replied "No 50 cals or 416's on the steel also no steel core or armor piercing bullets. Tom". He also said if you want practice time on the range, the charge is only $10. Sounds like a great deal to me. I'm trying to get a couple of guys from Dayton to head over there this weekend to try it out.
</div></div>

None of us shoot AP.
We're all thinking of coming to shoot.
(trying to get some more shooters)

How far from the MI border is this? Would the roundcount be worth the drive down?

How many spots are available?

The explanation of this match seems to be confusing as hell, does one shoot rifle and pistol?

What are the stages of fire?

I would gladly drive down, if I can get some explanation as to whats planned..

How about direstions, map from I 70. Thanks. Never mind - found the home page

Seems like a few faces were missing that I expected to see. Some of you get lost? It looked like everyone had a pretty good time. Weather was good and things seemed to run pretty well for as many shooters as showed up. I didn't count, but there had to be close to 40 shooters there. Hopefully Tom will have another one or 2 before the year's done. If you were there be sure to send Tom an email and let him know what you thought of the match.

Yes I was MIA!
Long story, but think I was only about five miles away!
Didn't hear banjo's or shots!
Got a late start. Cut loss, and turned back to bbq around 11:30.
Sorry I missed. Do you guy's have any pics?

No pics .... resident photographer didn't show up
laugh.gif

At one point corrrections were offered in truck tires or groundhogs. That was down right hilarious. I'm pretty sure everyone had a good time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No pics .... resident photographer didn't show up
laugh.gif

At one point corrrections were offered in truck tires or groundhogs. That was down right hilarious. I'm pretty sure everyone had a good time. </div></div>
smile.gif

i had a great time! it was a relaxed environment for me and i really enjoyed it. mike...i couldn't help myself with the corrections. it was too damn fun. lmao

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No pics .... resident photographer didn't show up
laugh.gif

At one point corrrections were offered in truck tires or groundhogs. That was down right hilarious. I'm pretty sure everyone had a good time. </div></div>

Truck tires?
Whose truck?
Are ya gonna slip in new tires?

Young chucks are more the same.

Rayners Long Range Rifle August 30 2009

Optic Rifle

Max Nea 160
Brian White 150
Robert Melick 150
Dan Wolfe 150
Jesse Rayner 140
Stephen Kidwell 140
Karl Vrandenburg 120
Mike Scott 120
Steve Caldwell 120
Garry Morris 120
Dave Melick 110
Mark Roberts 110
Doug Dearinger 110
Fred Burgy 100
Josey Rayner 90
Dan Piatt 90
Troy Lindimore 90
Millard McComis 90
Hollie Michael 90
Todd Thompson 80
Tom Rayner 80
Layne Reed 80
Ed Arherton 70
Corky Lawson 70
Rick Geraci 70
Dennis Lawrence 70
Greg Hamill 60
Randy Hollobaugh 60
Mike Cooper 40
Denver Foor 40
Terry Vineyard 40
Randy O'Dell 40
Casey Seyerle 20
Jacob Foor 0

Handgun

Dennis Kirkpatrick 110
Dale Taylor 40
Chris Kirkpatrick 40

Metalic Rifle

Jerry Cunningham 60
Chris Michael 50
Wallice Chapin 50
Tom Leache 20
Jim Chapin 10

Fun was had by all.

Topstrap

Thanks for the score update. It was a fun match and I am willing to give it another go.

I talked to Tom yesterday and he's looking at having another match in early October. He really appreciates everyone coming to shoot and the positive feedback he received. This will also be a regular match on next year's schedule for those that like to plan ahead. Schedule for next year should be out toward the end of the year or so. We had talked about matches being on the 4th Sundays, but nothing certain yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I talked to Tom yesterday and he's looking at having another match in early October. He really appreciates everyone coming to shoot and the positive feedback he received. This will also be a regular match on next year's schedule for those that like to plan ahead. Schedule for next year should be out toward the end of the year or so. We had talked about matches being on the 4th Sundays, but nothing certain yet. </div></div>

sounds like fun...let us know when you have a date confirmed.