• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long range school

Redman1982

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2012
South Louisiana
Iv gone about as far as I can on what iv learned from friends and family. I think I have a adaquite rifle to get out to a thousand yards iv shot some very good groups at 595 yards to my standards at least I live in Louisiana . I think I have enough gun and scope for what I want to do . Iv been shooting 168 gr sierra match Feds . My gun hates hornady loads for some reason . I don't reload yet I have helped my friends and did just buy a few books about reloading . Any tips on what equip to buy and lidature as well . Im learning the mildot radical I have a app on my phone that cheates for me but I would like to know all aspects of using a mil dot befor I use a cheater app. My rifle is rem,s 700 5r ss 24 inch barrel with 11.25 twist rate per inch. Night Force 20MOA base with a 3.5.15X50 NSX not the O stop mod. Maby yall can inform me of a class of anything that can sharpen my shooting.thank all of you for reading and giving me the time .im honed to B on a site with such Experts of the trade. All information will be greatly Appreacheted thank you all and God bless
Randy E Davis III

Re: Long range school

not to hijack the thread but you mentioned a phone app. Can anyone reccomend a good app for android.

Have you given the online training here on the Hide any thought? It's good info that can ensure you're starting with a solid base.

That's exactly what i need to start with is the basics . Breathing , trigger pull ,fundamentals I'll dff check it out . Thanks for the info and the welcomes guys . Should I use another scope till I learn mil dot all the way? And like I said any I mean any info or help would be greatly Appreacheted
Thanks for the help Guys

Why can't you use the cross hairs on your mildot scope until you learn to use the Mildots?

That way you can practice with you Mildots when not shooting.

I do ust the crosshairs . And I do know some mildot well realy all of it as long as i use my phone or I pad just would like to learn it like they teach it in the service . I talked to Mark at NightForce and he recommended the Velocity Retical under 300 bucks to swap it out . I Just thought someone around ware I live would have a class . I found one online but you have to use thare rifle . They garrinte 1000 yard . But from what I gathered they dope the scope and let you ring the dong at a grand. They do offer a opinion to buy one of thare guns at the end of the class for Eight Grand .and it's a 30 338 cal. Or some other cal. And I don't reload yet I would like to learn that as well from someone. I want to learn my rifle and the 308 round before I move up. Also the class is out west that's ware they all Are from what I gather . If any body around me would like to do some one on one teaching I would deff b willing to pay and drive to them.

Baton Rouge sir. I see you are in Unice I know ware you are iv been duck hunting out thare my hole life . I realy love that Area . Thanks a lot think up some prices and a list of what i need to bring and let me know . You realy don't know how much this means to me
smile.gif

Sorry for the delay, Randy.

There are LOTS of difference ballistic apps available so, you just have to figure out which you like best. I use iStrelok and although I have to input all of the bullet data manually, such as the BC, it's free and it suits me just fine. If you don't mind paying $30, from what I've seen and read...the KAC app is pretty nice with all the bells and whistles.

Concerning training, as kraigWY stated, you really should check into the Snipers Hide Online training before taking a long range class. It's $140 to get started and $10/mo thereafter.

In response to your question/comment about my rifle, it's a full POF*USA P308; upper and lower.

I really want to go to a few classes and learn, I think it would improve my skills quite a bit. Also, after shooting yesterday that i really need to hit the range a little more often. I don't shoot as well as I use to even though part of my problem is I shake pretty bad for some reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: all Twisted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is the link on the forums for the online training? </div></div>

Go up to “my Stuff” at the top of the page and “Subscriptions” will be in the drop down. That’s where you can set it up. For a newbe it may sound expensive, but it’s well worth it.

Check out the Rifles Only website. Precision Rifle 1 and 2 are excellent courses. They can be attended one at a time, or you can sign up for a combined course. I went to the 1&2 combo course in Oct of 2011. I learned more in those 6 days than I had in the previous 40+ years of poorly self-taught shooting. I was hitting the 1000 yd target on day 3, when I previously could not think that far, and hitting 400 yd movers with confidence.

I cannot recommend it highly enough. Great people who have forgotten more about weapons and their implementation than I will surely ever know.