• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Long Range Scope that can transition to short range?

1911addict42

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 1, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Good evening Hide,

In a few months I’ll be getting a JP-LRI20 in .308 that will need a scope. I wanted this rifle to serve as a long range rifle, with the ability to easily transition to closer combat. So a “battle rifle”. (although it’s a bit heavy, and intended to be used more often for long range use.)
    Is there anything that may give me the ability to hit 1,000 yards, but then also easily transition to close range if necessary?
    I was intrigued by the nightforce 2.5-20, although some seemed to think the field of view was poor at close range.
    An LVPO like Vortex 1-10 doesn’t sound like it gets enough magnification to reach as far as I’d like.
    Is there a scope that provides the best of both worlds?
    Or must I choose one or the other?
    Thank you in advance for your advice.

If you want to have fun putting small groups in paper at 1,000 I don’t see any way around using both a scope with real magnification, and a red dot for up close. Even the best LPVO’s are still scopes and have drawbacks up close, but they’re handy with magnification. 1,000 is doable with a 10 on a man sized target, but it won’t be fun for seeing hits or shooting small paper.

Any experience with the Nightforce 2.5-20? That seems like it would do the trick, but I’ve never looked through one...

Depends on how close you want to get. If you're talking CQB I would get a true one power. I think Vortex now makes a 1-10 LPVO

What are you willing to compromise on? What do you NEED vs WANT out of this rifle/optic system.

Grab something like the Kahles or Leupy 3-18 offerings with a piggbacked/offset red dot...and chop 4" off the barrel.

Damn dude you pretty much typed what I was thinking.

What are you willing to compromise on? What do you NEED vs WANT out of this rifle/optic system.

Grab something like the Kahles or Leupy 3-18 offerings with a piggbacked/offset red dot...and chop 4" off the barrel.
    How close is the view effective on those? Was also looking at the Burris XTR 3- how’s that compared to the Leupold?
    Khalid is too much quality for me to even appreciate.
    But makes sense to do that setup, iron sights offset is probably sufficient too.

Good evening Hide,

In a few months I’ll be getting a JP-LRI20 in .308 that will need a scope. I wanted this rifle to serve as a long range rifle, with the ability to easily transition to closer combat. So a “battle rifle”. (although it’s a bit heavy, and intended to be used more often for long range use.)
    Is there anything that may give me the ability to hit 1,000 yards, but then also easily transition to close range if necessary?
    I was intrigued by the nightforce 2.5-20, although some seemed to think the field of view was poor at close range.
    An LVPO like Vortex 1-10 doesn’t sound like it gets enough magnification to reach as far as I’d like.
    So where do you expect to be in combat with this setup?

A fixed 10X was used for a while to make hits to 1000....

• Love
    Reactions: earthquake
    So where do you expect to be in combat with this setup?

A fixed 10X was used for a while to make hits to 1000....
    I won’t be going into combat- range shooting and home defense is my only goal. I’d just rather kill two birds with when stone when dropping $2k on an optic.

After spending time at 1000yd, 100yd feels more like 25 to me. My gas gun has a 2.5-8x36 on it...hitting steel is doable but can’t see groups past 300yd. Think about what your goals are with that gun. Either way will be a compromise to a degree.

How far is effective range on the 1-10?

It's clear, by the questions that you're asking, that you don't have a whole lot of knowledge about mid to long range rifle shooting. And that's OK. We born ignorant and we learn along the way.

What is NOT OK is ruling out certain answers to your questions from the start when you clearly don't have the knowledge to make that discrimination.

You keep insisting, in a roundabout way, that 10X is not enough magnification to hit something at 1000 yards. Well, it's not enough magnification to hit a golf ball that distance, but it sure as fuck is more than enough to hit a man-sized target at the same distance.

How do I know? Easy, not only do I know the US Army and US Marine Corps issued 10X scopes with their sniper rifles for quite a long time (M24, M40A1 to M40A3); but I also have hit steel torso silhouettes at 1000 yards with my scope set at 8, 10, 12, and 15X.

Also, low end of 2.5X SUCKS BALLS for home defense or any other close range rifle use.

It's clear, by the questions that you're asking, that you don't have a whole lot of knowledge about mid to long range rifle shooting. And that's OK. We born ignorant and we learn along the way.

What is NOT OK is ruling out certain answers to your questions from the start when you clearly don't have the knowledge to make that discrimination.

You keep insisting, in a roundabout way, that 10X is not enough magnification to hit something at 1000 yards. Well, it's not enough magnification to hit a golf ball that distance, but it sure as fuck is more than enough to hit a man-sized target at the same distance.

How do I know? Easy, not only do I know the US Army and US Marine Corps issued 10X scopes with their sniper rifles for quite a long time (M24, M40A1 to M40A3); but I also have hit steel torso silhouettes at 1000 yards with my scope set at 8, 10, 12, and 15X.
    It’s clear by your response that you have a very serious problem with effective communication. Nowhere did I rule out 1-10 in a “roundabout way”.

Lay off the booze and drugs. Your opinion isn’t welcome.

It’s clear by your response that you have a very serious problem with effective communication. Nowhere did I rule out 1-10 in a “roundabout way”.

Why do you keep insinuating that members here are on alcohol and drugs when they give you the hard-line answer to your spinning question?

Reactions: Jsp556 and PBWalsh
    Why do you keep insinuating that members here are on alcohol and drugs when they give you the hard-line answer to your spinning question?
    When a guy is discombobulated enough to think that I was ruling out a 1-10 before receiving the response, based on what’s written here, he’s either brain dead or high.

Also, low end of 2.5X SUCKS BALLS for home defense or any other close range rifle use.

I’ve shot to 1540 on a 20x20 plate going 5 for 5 on 10x, and past a mile on a 24” plate on 12x. 1-10 with good glass and reliable turrets are more than sufficient for 1K. 10x does a lot better at 1K than 3X does at 15 yds.

You have a reading comprehension problem. I didn't say you ruled it out. I said you keep insisting that you think it isn't enough to get the job done.

You don't know shit from shinola to have those opinions yet.
    Please go ahead and show From my quote where I “insisted” it wasn’t enough to get the job done.

When a guy is discombobulated enough to think that I was ruling out a 1-10 before receiving the response, based on what’s written here, he’s either brain dead or high.
    You did say you don’t think a 1-10 will get you where you want to be for long range and “combat”.

Good evening Hide,

Here you go.

Here you go.
    “An LVPO like Vortex 1-10 doesn’t sound like it gets enough magnification to reach as far as I’d like.”
    That’s “insisting” to you?!
    That sounds pretty humble to me. I’ll take the productive input from others.

Holy cow bro. You been here a week, and most of your 167 posts are arguing with someone. Reminds me of talking to a new 2ndLt that "knows everything" already....stuck on transmit.

This isn't ARFcom, that type of banter/behavior isn't welcome...and it won't help you learn either.

This post was very non argumentative. But there are those who are obviously keyboard warriors and like to give attitude for pleasure.
    I’ll now just take the advice I was given on day one, which is to ignore those who are unhelpful.

This post was very non argumentative. But there are those who are obviously keyboard warriors and like to give attitude for pleasure.
    I’ll now just take the advice I was given on day one, which is to ignore those who are unhelpful.

I’m going to remain neutral in this, but you have come across as argumentative from the start. Sometimes outside perspective isn’t what you mean it to be.

Either way I think a Razor 1-10 will suit your needs very well if it’s within your budget. If 1K is plinking and CQB role is self defense should the need arise, then I’d rather have an optic that is great up close and mediocre distance.

Reactions: TriggerJerk!
    You want a long range rifle as home defense, and to make hits out to 1,000??? Stop and ask yourself how much sense that makes. Sure you could force something to do that, but it won’t be ideal for either.

Don’t get so defensive with others. You are clearly new to some of this.

Since you know that the bottom end of the mag range on a long range scope won’t work for cqb, put whatever you want on it for long range, and run a red dot for close. It’s either do that, or run the 1-10. Pick one. I agree with the needs vs wants comment.

Reactions: 1911addict42
    Since you know that the bottom end of the mag range on a long range scope won’t work for cqb, put whatever you want on it for long range, and run a red dot for close. It’s either do that, or run the 1-10. Pick one. I agree with the needs vs wants comment.
    I appreciate the productive feedback like this that you and others have given, and this is exactly what I’ll do. Makes sense. What I didn’t know is if there was anything that went higher than 10 in LVPO, or effective view on something like 2.5. I have a mediocre quality 1-8 LVPO with the Vortex Strike Eagle, and that’s tough for me to see much further than 400-500 yards.

offset rds is probably the best option, unless you want to compromise on magnification.
    is this really a rifle you will be swinging around and flipping over to see the rds, like a "battle rifle"?

maybe i'll get shit for this, but i put a surefire light/laser on my long range rifle and if the zombies get too close, fuck the sights.
    i'm just gonna put the green dot on the targets and pull the trigger.

Reactions: deersniper
    “An LVPO like Vortex 1-10 doesn’t sound like it gets enough magnification to reach as far as I’d like.”
    That’s “insisting” to you?!
    That sounds pretty humble to me. I’ll take the productive input from others.

Yet we have told you a 10X top end is plenty for hits at 1000 and you continue to argue with people giving you sound advice. Looks like you need to read what the definition of humble is again. And hypocrisy as well....

Holy cow bro. You been here a week, and most of your 167 posts are arguing with someone. Reminds me of talking to a new 2ndLt that "knows everything" already....stuck on transmit.

This isn't ARFcom, that type of banter/behavior isn't welcome...and it won't help you learn either.
    He knows more than us and just wants to brag about all his new toys and tell us how wrong we are apparently.

Relax Francis...

You are gonna have to grow some thicker skin if you want to hang around here. His feedback to you was 100% accurate so take the advice and chill out.

are you going to put a 12lb+ rifle up to your shoulder and swing it around for cqc while looking through your scope?
    i tried running around the house and up and down the stairs like that.
    of course i am old and weak, but that ain't working for me except in theory, lol.
    maybe if i was hopped up on goofballs...

Yeah stupid me with different rifles (tools) for different uses......

If I need to defend my home, I have a 5.56 carbine with a 1-4X LPVO that has a daylight bright center dot and a BDC reticle that can also reasonably handle several tasks in the 50 - 300 yd realm.

If I want to smash something 400 - 1000 yds away, I have a 308 bolt gun with a 17" barrel (which makes it handy) and a 3-15X variable.

The two overlap in utility somewhere in the 200 - 500 yd area.

Yeah stupid me with different rifles (tools) for different uses......

If I need to defend my home, I have a 5.56 carbine with a 1-4X LPVO that has a daylight bright center dot and a BDC reticle that can also reasonably handle several tasks in the 50 - 300 yd realm.

If I want to smash something 400 - 1000 yds away, I have a 308 bolt gun with a 17" barrel (which makes it handy) and a 3-15X variable.

The two overlap in utility somewhere in the 200 - 500 yd area.
    There you go, that is productive input, and I value it.

I too have different rifles for my different purposes/goals. My question was on the optic, if it was necessary to have two, or if one can do the trick. You’re right, I know almost nothing about optics.
    The feedback has been clear and has helped.

I can’t imagine firing a .308 inside of a house in a self defense scenario. That bullet will go straight through the target and blow through several walls before the bullet stops. Who knows what collateral damage you would do in the process. Use the right tool for the job. I’ve seen your other posts regarding .300 BO. Build that rifle to be a home defense weapon and gear up the .308 optically for long distance shooting. JMHO

Lou

Reactions: 1911addict42
    I can't imagine swinging a 20" .308 inside a house. lol Even my 16" bullpup is a bitch just because of the weight, and it points like a dream thanks to the balance compared to an AR10.

How close is the view effective on those? Was also looking at the Burris XTR 3- how’s that compared to the Leupold?
    Khalid is too much quality for me to even appreciate.
    But makes sense to do that setup, iron sights offset is probably sufficient too.

You won't be clearing a house with them. Get a 1-8x ATACR, 1-6 Razor, or 1-10 Razor if you really want the low end usability. I can comfortably clear my farm yard with my NF 2.5-10x on 2.5x, but anything within 20 yards is restricted to point shooting if I want to be quick. Training is everything.

Last edited:
    Are you sure you want this to be a home defense gun? That's a BIG gun in a house. Can you hold that gun off-hand long enough, or with one hand while helping your kids or wife, and be functional? I've run drills with my AR-10 and holy crap that thing is a front heavy gun that wears you out.

If you want to use this gun, you could put a scope in a QD mount and a red dot in a QD mount, and trade them out when you go home or to the range.

Are you sure you want this to be a home defense gun? That's a BIG gun in a house. Can you hold that gun off-hand long enough, or with one hand while helping your kids or wife, and be functional? I've run drills with my AR-10 and holy crap that thing is a front heavy gun that wears you out.

If you want to use this gun, you could put a scope in a QD mount and a red dot in a QD mount, and trade them out when you go home or to the range.
    The idea was to get as much versatility as possible when spending a lot of money. Wether that be because I want to move an optic from one rifle to another, or if for whatever reason that’s the only gun accessible at the time.
    As others have pointed out, that type of product doesn’t exist without compromises.
    My primary home defense gun that sits next to my bed is a 300 blackout pistol with a red dot.

Man, I’ll bet it feels good on the ears to let loose a fucking .308 inside your home. lol

makes wayyyyy more sense than a 9mm or suppressed AR
    office pop.
    i think it isn't his goal to use this for home defense.
    rather, he is trying to build one of many rifles he is buying to do as many things as possible, for some scenario where he is left with one gun.
    maybe silly for somebody with the money to own whatever he wants (apparently), i am doing that with "one gun" because i'm a poor with one gun.

/besides my handguns, shotgun, .308 lever gun and .22lr.

Reactions: Aescobar17
    The idea was to get as much versatility as possible when spending a lot of money. Wether that be because I want to move an optic from one rifle to another, or if for whatever reason that’s the only gun accessible at the time.
    As others have pointed out, that type of product doesn’t exist without compromises.
    My primary home defense gun that sits next to my bed is a 300 blackout pistol with a red dot.
    Yeah I wouldn't consider a .308 as a defensive indoor gun unless I had absolutely no other option whatsoever. I've spotted another shooter shooting my AR-10, out in the desert, with GOOD ear pro on, and it was uncomfortable. A point-blank .308 soft-point round might go THROUGH someone, through a wall, hit your kid, and make the whole family deaf.

Now, if it comes time to stop vehicles and you're looking at glass penetration or taking out radiators or engine blocks?

Reactions: themightytimmah
    Yeah I wouldn't consider a .308 as a defensive indoor gun unless I had absolutely no other option whatsoever. I've spotted another shooter shooting my AR-10, out in the desert, with GOOD ear pro on, and it was uncomfortable. A point-blank .308 soft-point round might go THROUGH someone, through a wall, hit your kid, and make the whole family deaf.

Now, if it comes time to stop vehicles and you're looking at glass penetration or taking out radiators or engine blocks?
    hey if you're stuck fighting zombies, a .308 gas gun from a distance is a great tool.
    but if they got over that wall? you gotta have some options. :ROFLMAO:

1vxh.gif

• Haha
    Reactions: Kamerad

Ha exactly, I want the .308 for some firepower! Question though: isn’t the idea of the SCAR17s to be a close range and down range , versatile weapon? Or Tavor 7? (Although Tavor seems to perform well within 300-400 yards from what I’ve seen. )

Ha exactly, I want the .308 for some firepower! Question though: isn’t the idea of the SCAR17s to be a close range and down range , versatile weapon? Or Tavor 7? (Although Tavor seems to perform well within 300-400 yards from what I’ve seen. )
    I don't think weapons designed to run 7.62 were made with the intention of having innocent bystanders behind the target most of the time. Neighbors? Family members? Yeah, I almost never look at military solutions for my problems, because they're usually the wrong solution.

Reactions: 308pirate