• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range Security Camera Options (330 yards)

long-shot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2003
Missouri
Either I'm getting more paranoid or things are getting spookier. I live in a very rural area and have a small hobby farm (100 acres). I'd like to set up a video surveillance system for the house and include 1 or 2 camera for the farm entrance as well. I'd like to have them all feed into one DVR. Any ideas on how to increase the range of wireless security systems? I'm open to ideas. I have power at the farm and it's a pretty straight shot with few trees between there and my house.

As always thanks in advance.

jeff

Re: Long Range Security Camera Options (330 yards)

You can find most of the stuff easily on ebay.

You need normal security cam (any will do), wireless transmitter/receiver (most have your required range and cost somewhere ~30$ with yagi directional antennas for range - if needed) and you will need monitors (small lcd screens will do just fine or you can go fancy and bring video feed from wifi receivers to single display - with multiplexer). Power for all should be used motorcycle or UPS batteries (12V Pb) which are very inexpensive and in the latter case if you're in IT business mostly even free...

Really depends on $ and tech knowledge required. Me personally i'd invest in IP WIFI setup as before listed setup is a bit crude and with better setup you can also upgrade to early warning on activation (mobile alert, email). Downside is if you get hacked well you're on your own reality show...

PS: And hacking into such system is peanuts and it might be a huge disadvantage...

Care to tell us what's spooking You?

Is it a TCP based system?

I'm building an RC aircraft that will have 15km range, might be something to consider - cheap too.

Lawmate 2.4Ghz 1000mW AV Transmitter.

A high quality high powered transmitter in the 2.4GHz frequency range.
Highly integrated circuit / High power output (1Watt).
High Reliability/Linearity/AlGaAs/GaAs FET power amplifier module built-in
Using digital phase-Lock-Loop circuit without drifting problem under high temperature
8 channels DIP switch selectable*

You can order this from 100mw to 1000mw.

ONLY THING to consider is that these require cooling, and since you won't be flying on an R/C plane you may have to put a mini fan on it.

cd4d19e1715b545df62f5ef205ed3cce.image.583x550.jpg

Arctic,

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what system I'm looking at. I'd like a 4-6 channel system monitoring the house, and 2 cameras up at the farm. I'd like the opportunity to add additional channels later for flexibility.

Ideally I'd like something that works with a similar unit the following:

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-1387-dvry1602s-atrix-pentaplex-16ch-h264-dvr-w-1000gb-hdd.aspx

I've seen long range camera setups like the following. If this is a little more "plug and play" it could be useful.

http://www.rugged-cctv.com/wireless-long-distance.shtml

All information is appreciated.

so, uh, whatcha growing on your "hobby farm" that you are so worried about protecting?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so, uh, whatcha growing on your "hobby farm" that you are so worried about protecting?
grin.gif
</div></div>

I swear too often, drink too much, and have a serious problem with authority... Those are my greatest vices. I assure you legality isn't one of them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it a TCP based system?

I'm building an RC aircraft that will have 15km range, might be something to consider - cheap too.

Lawmate 2.4Ghz 1000mW AV Transmitter.

A high quality high powered transmitter in the 2.4GHz frequency range.
Highly integrated circuit / High power output (1Watt).
High Reliability/Linearity/AlGaAs/GaAs FET power amplifier module built-in
Using digital phase-Lock-Loop circuit without drifting problem under high temperature
8 channels DIP switch selectable*

You can order this from 100mw to 1000mw.

ONLY THING to consider is that these require cooling, and since you won't be flying on an R/C plane you may have to put a mini fan on it.

cd4d19e1715b545df62f5ef205ed3cce.image.583x550.jpg
</div></div>

This system works great. I used it to build a remote system for range use. It works great out to 1000 yds +. I mounted the trans in a radio shack hobby box and use a small fan to cool it. I also drilled holes in the box for circulation.

IMO, it would work great as a security setup. You can use the mini cameras popular for RC use - as I do - with telephoto lenses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so, uh, whatcha growing on your "hobby farm" that you are so worried about protecting?
grin.gif
</div></div>

I swear too often, drink too much, and have a serious problem with authority... Those are my greatest vices. I assure you legality isn't one of them! </div></div>

I'm guessing a 170+ B.& C. buck?

Perhaps those of you that have the knowledge and expertise could turn this into a "primer" for those of us less techo inclined.
For example, where to start, equipment options, etc.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WPG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps those of you that have the knowledge and expertise could turn this into a "primer" for those of us less techo inclined.
For example, where to start, equipment options, etc.

Thanks</div></div>

It's not that easy to do. Systems can range from $1,500 (crap) - $5,000,000 plus.

A good general use 8 camera system is about $25,000

www.ubnt.com has the wireless equipment AND the camera's needed to do what you are looking. Equipment is cheap enough to where if it stops working, simply replace it. Wireless radio's are 50 bux, (to connect camera's instead of running cable) and camera's are around $100.

That's what I do, love it.

That sort of stuff is cheap on amazon as well