• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range Shooting Facility

ELR Shooting Range

Private
Minuteman
Hello Sniper's Hide members. I am not new to your site as I have been "bumming" knowledge off of you all for years but never posted.

My family just opened up a new ELR range in Southwest Texas. I want to post some info on what we have to offer but want to go about it correctly. I sent a message to an administrator off of the CONTACT US link asking what I need to do. I don't want to be a buzzard and want to follow etiquette.

In short, I need some help! I can't find the message I sent to the moderator either afterwards.

Thanks in advance!

We recently completed our tower/shooting platform. Attached are pictures that show more detail as to what we have to offer. The platform is 12 feet by 12 feet and eight feet tall. Shooters can lay down and shoot prone or they can shoot off of a mobile bench. The safety rails around the deck can be removed to accommodate a shooter wanting to utilize a mobile bench. Target ranges will be from 370 yards out to 2,701 yards. We can handle calibers up to .50BMG. Shooters with .50's cannot use armor piercing rounds. There will be a variety of shapes and sizes on the steel targets. 95% of the steel targets are made of AR500 steel. The AR500 aids in identifying bullet strikes at distance as the bullets splatter against a white background.

The platform was designed for shooters to be able to shoot 360 degrees without having to leave the deck. At this time, we have the North, West, and South ranges complete. The East range is not complete at this time. The North range features targets starting at 500 yards and increasing in 100 yard increments to 1,500 yards and then jumping to one mile (1,760 yards). The West range has targets starting at 370 yards out to 2,701 yards with targets spaced randomly in between. The South range has targets beginning at 500 yards out to one mile (1,760 yards) with random target placement in between. All targets have large dirt berms behind them to help locate and absorb misses. In addition, if shooters choose to shoot from the ground/hill side, we can accommodate them.

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w591/HarkinsRanch/Long Range Shooting/IMG_2695RS_zps4c678bc4.jpg
http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w591/HarkinsRanch/Long Range Shooting/IMG_2757RS_zps60431b19.jpg
http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w591/HarkinsRanch/Long Range Shooting/IMG_2771RS_zps362caf37.jpg

I studied up on posting pics here. Once I thought I figured it out, I attempted to post some information on our range along with some pictures. As soon as I submitted the post, I received a message saying it would have to be approved by a moderator.

Is this the case any time you post pics on Sniper's Hide? Just curious. I am learning as I go here!

Google Earth image of the shooting range to help give perspective of target availability.

th_NorthWestSouthCombinedRSZ_zps05e1c087.jpg">

I'm moving to Del Rio this coming August. I'll have to make my way up before too long. I look forward to reading more about it and seeing some pictures/videos here soon!

I studied up on posting pics here. Once I thought I figured it out, I attempted to post some information on our range along with some pictures. As soon as I submitted the post, I received a message saying it would have to be approved by a moderator.

Is this the case any time you post pics on Sniper's Hide? Just curious. I am learning as I go here!

Looks like you are on the right track. Use the img tab on photobucket. I think it is the bottom one.

Looks like a great setup! Good to know about. My wife's family is in Midland, so I get out that way a couple of times a year. Would love to shoot with you.

If you want to make your info more widely available, I suggest you list your location/facility/contact info in the following thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...5651-list-shooting-ranges-over-500-yards.html

If you'd like to keep more private, please PM me with your contact info so I can get with you when ever I head to West Texas.

Thanks.

Many thanks to all of the positive feedback we have received! A lot of effort and design went into this set up and range. We haven't had anyone leave unhappy as of yet. A chance to get into the country, enjoy the Trans Pecos Desert views, zero cell phone reception, and of course, a chance to shoot at distance is tough to beat! We hear those things often! Thanks again to everyone. I will be posting more pics soon.

We had two shooters come down this past weekend: Clayton Smith (clean shaven), owner of West Texas Ordnance, out of Ackerly, Texas, and Jonathan Rubio (with goatee) of West Texas Ordnance. These guys brought down several rifles they had built in their shop to do some testing and had a blast. I will follow up with some posts and some specs on the rifles they were using.

The first pic features Clayton Smith, Owner of West Texas Ordnance, on a .264 Win Mag that he built: Stiller/WTO Claymore action, 26.5" Lilja 3 groove #5 contour barrel, Manners MCS-GAT stock, Huskemaw 5-20LR scope. Load was 140 Berger VLD hunting bullet, 70.5gr Retumbo and CCI 250 primer, velocity 3245FPS

The second pic is Clayton with a steel he shot with the .264 Win Mag at 1,300 yards (7 5/8" group) with full value winds at 9mph. Great shooting!

The first pic is Jonathan Rubio of West Texas Ordnance and a 6.5x47 he built with Stiller/WTO Claymore action, 26" Lilja 3 groove #6 contour barrel, Manners MCS-T stock, Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50mm scope. Shooting 130 Berger VLD hunting bullets.

The second pic is Jonathan and a group he shot at 683 yards (rectangle steel) with 8-10mph 1/4 value winds.

This first pic is Clayton Smith, owner of West Texas Ordnance, and a 6mm XC he built with a Stiller/WTO Claymore left hand action, 27" Lilja 3groove #5 contour barrel, Manners T6 stock with 90% carbon fiber shell, Leupold mark 4 4.5-14x50 ER/T M5 front focal with TMR reticle. Load is 105 Berger VLD hunting, 41.5grains H4350, CCI BR-2 primer, velocity 3130FPS

The second pic is a 5 5/8" group Clayton shot with the 6mm XC at 800 yards with 10mph full value winds.

The first pic is Clayton Smith of West Texas Ordnance spotting and Jonathan Rubio working on second shot correction on a 338 Lapua they built with a Stiller TAC338 action, 29" Brux #6 contour barrel with Holland brake, McMillan A1-3 stock. Load was 300 grain Sierra match King driven by 90.0 grs H1000 and a Rem 9 1/2 primer, velocity 2840FPS. Jonathan had a hit at 1,500 yards, then a hit at 1 mile, then a dead center hit at 2,000 yards, and last, but certainly not least, a third round hit on a piece of steel that is 10" wide at 2,701 yards! He met Craig Harrison at SHOT Show this year and told him he was going to have the opportunity to get this shot. He did him proud as I was a witness! It was amazing to witness the amount of flight time it took the bullet to get on target! Well done Mr. Rubio!

Second and third pics are the bullet impact at the 2,701 yard target. Great rifle and great shooting!!!

Thanks Jase, that was the most fun I've had in a while backed up with some very challenging wind coming from all the canyons. Very nice job on location and set up along with the amenities too. I can say that Clayton and I are pumped about coming back in the future.

I have not shot from the ELR platform yet but am familiar with the Harkins Ranch, their shooters and have shot with them several times. This is a helpful, knowledgable and in general a great group to shoot with whether you are amateur, mid level (myself) or even an expert which very few actually are. I know I'm excited to crank out some rounds with my new 300 Win mag Rem 700 build next time I have the opportunity.

Happy shooting!

Send me a PM of a way to contact you and your exact location
I have 338 Allen Mag I would like to stretch way out there.

where are you located. I have a new 6.5 Grendel and a 300 WM I want to try out at long range.

Thanks everyone for the PMs and comments. We will have to shut down our range in mid-September due to hunting season. We have openings available for bookings before then. Don't hesitate to PM me with questions. I am happy to answer and will do my best to work with your schedule.

Looks like a nice place you guys have there. I've been talking to your father a bit, super nice man to speak with.

Might have to make it down that way some day.

Jerry,
My Dad has enjoyed being in contact with you and I can assure you, you have helped educate him in a few sentences compared to his hours of research on the net! Thanks for the compliment as well. This is a neat place loaded with some priceless history. We enjoy sharing it with those interested! Look forward to meeting you some day!

We had a young man shoot to 1 mile this evening using a 300 Win Mag with 210gr Sierra Matchkings. What a treat getting to watch a worthy 21 year old make a hit like that for the first time! I believe witnessing these shooters make long range hits is nearly better than pulling the trigger yourself!

Five hours isn't too bad! I can promise the drive west will not take long as you will
be fired up at the adventure awaiting. However, the drive back home will suck as you
will be trying to figure out how to schedule a return trip! Come see us!

Hell, I drive 4hrs just to shoot 1000yd. I would love to go somewhere to be able to shoot that far!!! Congrats on the new start up.

I have posted a handful of more pictures taken earlier this year. I have also included somewhat of a 'reposting' of what we have to offer with our ELR Shooting Range. With the pricing package, included is lodging in one of our hunting lodges, PM me if you are interested in pictures of the lodge:

The platform is 12 feet by 12 feet and eight feet tall. Shooters can lay down and shoot prone or they can shoot off of a mobile bench. The safety rails around the deck can be removed to accommodate a shooter wanting to utilize a mobile bench. Target ranges will be from 370 yards out to 2,701 yards. We can handle calibers up to .50BMG. Shooters with .50's cannot use armor piercing rounds. There is a variety of shapes and sizes in regards to the steel targets. 95% of the steel targets are made of AR500 steel. The AR500 aids in identifying bullet strikes at distance as the bullets splatter against a white background. As of current (7/13/13), we have 32 targets in place and operational.

The platform was designed for shooters to be able to shoot 360 degrees without having to leave the deck. At this time, we have the North, West, and South ranges complete. The East range is not complete at this time. The North range features targets starting at 500 yards and increasing in 100 yard increments to 1,500 yards and then jumping to one mile (1,760 yards). The West range has targets starting at 370 yards out to 2,701 yards with targets spaced randomly in between. The South range has targets beginning at 500 yards out to one mile (1,760 yards) with random target placement in between. All targets have large dirt berms behind them to help locate and absorb misses. In addition, if shooters choose to shoot from the ground/hill side, we can accommodate them.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. We will have to shut down mid-September due to our hunting operation! Book now! September is just around the corner!

A bump and some clarification. Our set up is not an instructional set up. We would not be opposed to having an instructor/school set up as many have asked. At this time, it is simply a place for shooters to come out and have a place to shoot ELR. There are a handful of places that will allow shooters to shoot out to 1,000 or even 1,500 in this part of the world but none set up this way to go beyond 2,000yards out to 2,701yards. The package also includes two nights in one of our hunting lodges. Again, I am needing to clarify this as there has been some confusion. My apologies for not being more specific. Feel free to ask questions or PM me.

Are you still offering shoots out there? I PM'd you but haven't recieved a response yet. I'm looking for something right before derr season in 2014. If you see this i'd love some info

I have not posted any new pictures lately. I finally got around to getting some up. These show some of the last groups of shooters we have had over the last few weeks. The targets pictured are of the one mile target (one off off the South Range, one off of the West Range).