• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long range shooting in France

Johannes

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2020
Payzac, France
Hi everybody in the Snipers Hide community. Of course we look with envie to all the long range shooting you can do in the USA. We hosted nevertheless the king of 2 miles in 2919. I am fortunate to have a range up to 1500 yards around the corner. I just read the book of Frank Galli. What a treasure. I thank him for the great fundamentals every other writer seems to take for granted. Let me know if anybody comes over to this part of the world (south of france). Happy to host you. Yann

Welcome from CO, USA

Yann, welcome! Volumes of great experience here. Hope you like it.

Welcome from Colorado. I've spent a lot of time in France over the last 10 years, most of it in the North and central part but I've been to Toulon and Marseille in the south. I would be interested in the long range shooting scene in France.

Welcome. Post some pics of cool guns that you can get there that we have a hard time getting here and we will do the same :)
Do you have an FR-1?

Welcome from Colorado. I've spent a lot of time in France over the last 10 years, most of it in the North and central part but I've been to Toulon and Marseille in the south. I would be interested in the long range shooting scene in France.
Thanks. Basically there are two military camps: Caylus and Canjuers with ranges up to 3,5 kilometer. There is one wellknown private range in Langogne with ranges close to 2000 meters. I am busy establishing an informal range up to 1400 meters in Montselgues. We also do some informal LR shooting in the mountains: lying down and looking for a backdrop. Anything between 1000-2000 meters. When the gendarmes ask us, we are just hunting.
In Caylus a small dynamic group organises The Prince of 1 Mile. In Canjuers we have the famous King of 2 Miles.
I understood a new military LR will be developed soon, open for civilians. Elsewhere you find of course several ranges from 300-700 meters. Hope this gives you some idea!

Welcome. Post some pics of cool guns that you can get there that we have a hard time getting here and we will do the same :)
Do you have an FR-1?
Hi. The Famas rifle will be replaced by Heckler&Koch. Civilians here in France shoot a lot with rifles from the excellent french gunmaker: PGM. (6.5 up to .50) Barrels: mostly Walther.

Reactions: Zorrosdens
Yann, Great having you here in Sniper’s Hide, make it a home. Jump in and add as you can and see fit. Welcome from SC. 🤙

I shoot with Bartlein barrels. But Walther seems to work very well. The winner of the King of Two Miles in 2019 had a Walther barrel on a Barnard action (.375 Cheytac)

Welcome! Great to see someone international posting. Echo what the others said with needing pictures.

Understood. I will focus on pictures of different PGM rifles

Don't forget pictures of some of your shooting ranges. BTW I like how you handled the Gendarmerie.....

Here's one closest to me (2 hrs) in Ohio
1590877196728.png

1590877223581.png

1590877264486.png

Great pictures! Thanks. It will take some time for range pictures. France has been in total lockdown for over two months. Is just opening up with lots of restrictions at sports

Welcome from across the pond in Indiana!! I would be stoked to have a 1500 range close!!

Welcome! I look forward to seeing pictures, sounds interesting.

Shooting for two days up to 1530 yards

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_084720.jpg
    IMG_20200705_084720.jpg
    699.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20200705_104220.jpg
    IMG_20200705_104220.jpg
    791.3 KB · Views: 46
Welcome to the Hide from Middle Georgia. It's great to have another Brother from the Old World that appreciates the long range shooting trades. It's always great to have a long range area to practice your skills. I hope you can continue to expand the interest in your country for these perishable skills. Glad to have you here and hope to see more posts and articles from you Brother!

@M8541Reaper is within your AO.

Maybe you could hook up and get a Homesick American some range time.

What's the history of the area you shoot in?

The idea of the "Zone Rouge" in France fascinates me. I have imagined that those areas are WWI captured in time.

• Love
Reactions: M8541Reaper
@M8541Reaper is within your AO.

Maybe you could hook up and get a Homesick American some range time.

What's the history of the area you shoot in?

The idea of the "Zone Rouge" in France fascinates me. I have imagined that those areas are WWI captured in time.
Good lookin out but I'm a tad bit too far away (7hr drive). Although once everything opens up, we'll obviously be traveling like crazy and I'm sure we'll make our way to that area.

@Johannes
Yann,
Welcome to The Hide!
I'm up in Mons, Belgium. If I were closer, I'd definitely have taken you up on the offer. That's awesome that you have access to all of that near you.
🍻

Good lookin out but I'm a tad bit too far away (7hr drive). Although once everything opens up, we'll obviously be traveling like crazy and I'm sure we'll make our way to that area.

@Johannes
Yann,
Welcome to The Hide!
I'm up in Mons, Belgium. If I were closer, I'd definitely have taken you up on the offer. That's awesome that you have access to all of that near you.
🍻

My bad......

Isn't Europe like New England? You know one of those quaint places that 15 minutes drive has you showing you passport at 5 border crossings :)

• Haha
Reactions: M8541Reaper
Thanks. Basically there are two military camps: Caylus and Canjuers with ranges up to 3,5 kilometer. There is one wellknown private range in Langogne with ranges close to 2000 meters. I am busy establishing an informal range up to 1400 meters in Montselgues. We also do some informal LR shooting in the mountains: lying down and looking for a backdrop. Anything between 1000-2000 meters. When the gendarmes ask us, we are just hunting.
In Caylus a small dynamic group organises The Prince of 1 Mile. In Canjuers we have the famous King of 2 Miles.
I understood a new military LR will be developed soon, open for civilians. Elsewhere you find of course several ranges from 300-700 meters. Hope this gives you some idea!
@Johannes are there a List with shooting ranges in France? Is there any range near the German border for civilians where I can shoot 500m and more?