• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range Shooting in Texas

leatherneck

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2013
Boerne, Texas
I'm considering a move from California where I shoot at a 1000 yard range, to Texas, and am having trouble locating where the ELR ranges are in the state. I've contacted a couple of gun shops and a precision shooting club in the San Antonio area asking about ELR ranges in the area, and they don't know of any that go out beyond 300yds. Does anyone here know of a list of ELR ranges in Texas? If possible, I'd like to move near one of them, preferably somewhere near to San Antonio, Boerne, New Braunfels. Thanks for the help. Semper Fi!

Texas ELR typically takes place on private land. Not a lot of 1k yard ranges around.

I haven't found anything near San Antonio.

Near Waco: Tiger Valley

Near Houston: bayou rifles

Dallas: Tac Pro

East of Dallas: North Texas Rifle Precision

Good luck! Let me know if you find something near San Antonio.

Josh

Texas ELR typically takes place on private land. Not a lot of 1k yard ranges around.

I haven't found anything near San Antonio.

Near Waco: Tiger Valley

Near Houston: bayou rifles

Dallas: Tac Pro

East of Dallas: North Texas Rifle Precision

Good luck! Let me know if you find something near San Antonio.

Josh

Pretty much sums it up. A couple of those are news to me! Good luck

Sierracharlie out....

A member here, mudvayne (Chase), has stated he has a place to shoot up to 3000 yards in Washington County, which is about an hour NW of Houston. He hasn't been around the forum for a while so I don't know if the offer is still open. Does anyone know how to get in touch with him?

Anyone have anymore information on Spindler Arms range in Robert Lee? The web site isn't much and appears to be 6 years old but if the pictures of the range in the photo gallery are any indication, it looks promising.

Out his back door is a 3 million dollar all electronic shooting range with targets set at 300, 600, 800, and a 1000 meters.

Spindler Arms.jpg

There is a members only range just outside of New Braunfels that goes out to 500. We have monthly F Class, high power, etc matches. It's really cheap to join. Shoot me a PM if interested.

leatherneck,
I just came across your post. I recently posted info on our ELR range. Here is a link to the info I posted in this section (scroll through the post for pictures):

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/elr-beyond-1000-yards/195012-long-range-shooting-facility.html

We have a shooting platform that will allow shooters 360 degree target engagement. The North, West, and South ranges are in operation but haven't started on the East side yet. We have 33 steel targets in total as of today. Each target has dirt berms around them to help absorb misses and of course help locate misses. You can shoot to a mile on the South and North ranges and multiple targets in between the platform and mile targets. The West range starts at 370 yards and stretches out to 2,701 yards. The package includes two nights in one of our hunting lodges and transportation to and from the range. We are a privately owned ranch that has been in operation for over 100 years. It is remote and will provide solitude and some great views! We are located 30 miles north of Sanderson, Texas. We are about 4 hours west of San Antonio. It is a drive but we have had a lot of happy customers who don't mind getting here! The only problem encountered is shooters trying to find time with family and work schedules being a hurdle in trying to get back as soon as possible. Feel free to PM me for more info. It is not an instructional set up although we would be open to having some sort of school. We have been shooting for years and have had so many requests to build something like this because there really isn't much in Texas to accommodate shooters wanting to stretch their rifles. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Reactions: 49er
.....We are about 4 hours west of San Antonio. It is a drive.....

To butcher up what someone said to me in another thread....this is Texas, its a long drive to anywhere.

.....there really isn't much in Texas to accommodate shooters wanting to stretch their rifles.....

IMO, its because here in Tx allot, if not most, of the shooters own or have access to property that can range in size from a few acres to something the size of a New England state.

I believe that the Spindler Arms Range is closed last time I went by there they had a for sale sign on the gate.

There is also a range to 500 yds off 534 in Kerrville at the Shooting Sports facility on Cypress Creek Rd. You have to shoot to prove ability and is pretty limited to shooting hours and requires a membership, but it's a more proximate location to the SA/Hill Country area.

The Austin Gun Club goes out to 2000 yards. It is a super nice facility. I shot a match down there a couple months ago and I would be a member if I lived anywhere remotely close to that range.

The Austin Gun Club goes out to 2000 yards. It is a super nice facility. I shot a match down there a couple months ago and I would be a member if I lived anywhere remotely close to that range.

Do you know if this is a member only range?

Membership Fees at Austin Gun Club
Range Membership:

$2,500 to Join

$1.000 Annually

Upland Membership:

$3,500 to Join

$1,500 Annually

Corporate Membership:

$7.500 to Join

$5,000 Annually

I am not sure about a range in RObert Lee but south of there a bit (just north of San Angelo) there is Devils hill Shooting range or something like that. I don't know how far you can shoot but its in a good place for ELR and its called a rifle range so I fiqured it would be worth a look. I couldn't get in touch with anyone there while I was in the area but did a lot of shooting just behind it on the Pipeline right of way. Might wanna check it out.

Do you know if this is a member only range?

Membership Fees at Austin Gun Club
Range Membership:

$2,500 to Join

$1.000 Annually

Upland Membership:

$3,500 to Join

$1,500 Annually

Corporate Membership:

$7.500 to Join

$5,000 Annually

I'm not 100% sure but judging by how top end the facility is I'd say that it's a members only range. I'd say its worth every penny if you were close enough to use it on a regular basis. It's not your typical rifle range.

More Info on the Austin Gun Club (AGC) that is not currently on their web site.

They have a Tactical Membership that is $1000 for the first year and $575 annually after the 1st year. Plus there is no daily charge for range use by members. This allows access to the long rifle range (out to 2000 yards) and tactical bays.

Guests of members pay a range fee of $35 per day for the Long Rifle Range. The same fee applies to guest use of tactical bays as well. However, a guest is restricted to two visits per year.

I have been shooting almost every week at BOTW at Liberty for the past three years and its a great range, but its a 90 mile round trip for me. I joined the AGC three months ago as its only 12 miles from my home.

Now the best part about the AGC Long Rifle Range. There are five firing lanes that can be used from the same firing point. Each lane has 7-10 steel targets (Larues or A1 type) at various ranges (none of the usual 100,200, 300, eyc.) for a total of about 50 steel targets. Lane 2 has the mile target and a second firing point allows engagement out to 2000 yards.

If any one in the central Texas area would like check it out, contact me, and we can coordinate a time that I could take you as a guest. I shoot there almost every week and most times I have the range to myself.

CDAT

Last edited:
More Info on the Austin Gun Club (AGC) that is not currently on their web site.

They have a Tactical Membership that is $1000 for the first year and $575 annually after the 1st year. Plus there is no daily charge for range use by members. This allows access to the long rifle range (out to 2000 yards) and tactical bays.

Guests of members pay a range fee of $35 per day for the Long Rifle Range. The same fee applies to guest use of tactical bays as well. However, a guest is restricted to two visits per year.

I have been shooting almost every week at BOTW at Liberty for the past three years and its a great range, but its a 90 mile round trip for me. I joined the AGC three months ago as its only 12 miles from my home.

Now the best part about the AGC Long Rifle Range. There are five firing lanes that can be used from the same firing point. Each lane has 7-10 steel targets (Larues or A1 type) at various ranges (none of the usual 100,200, 300, eyc.) for a total of about 50 steel targets. Lane 2 has the mile target and a second firing point allows engagement out to 2000 yards.

If any one in the central Texas area would like check it out, contact me, and we can coordinate a time that I could take you as a guest. I shoot there almost every week and most times I have the range to myself.

CDAT

Awesome! Thanks for the info... You just made me keep my MRAD and all my LR/ELR gear.