• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long shot, but has anyone cut down a Scar 20?

Fenix Mike

Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2012
Tulsa, OK
I know, I can get a Scar 17 already in 16 inch, but I want the heavy barrel and 3 lug mounting system for the barrel. My Scar 20 is ridiculously accurate, and so my thinking is a 16 inch version would scratch the itch of wanting a 16 inch 308 rifle, but not using the light barrel Scar 17. Id also swap the stock for the standard folding setup, then I basically have a bad ass looking full rail 16 inch Scar with sub MOA accuracy and a heavier profile barrel. I already have a Scar 17 13 inch SBR that shoots wonderful, but I havent had good luck with the full length Scar 16/17 running a can because the barrel gets warm and strings shots, and even then they are typically 1 MOA at best, where as my Scar 20 is consistently Sub with many groups 1/2 or less.

Thoughts? Anyone want one of my SR25s for their Scar 20 plus cash? :D

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing, but only down to 18". That would get the threading right next to the barrel "step up" in diameter eliminating the need for those barrel shoulder rings. I just want to make sure the chrome lining wouldn't be affected if I did. I wouldn't lose much velocity, but the weight and maneuverability would be better. Especially with a can. I also think I may get away without changing the gas valve port inserts as the scar can be over gassed anyway and 2" difference isn't a lot. 16" barrel may be too big a step without needing a different port size. I would not recommend three lug mount for this rifle. Too much flex and movement in the design. These are primarily used on sub guns. This gun was really designed as a dmr so I think 16" starts eroding its capability. 18 and 20" are a sweet spot imho. 16 could be pretty cool, I have thought about it myself. I just think 18 would be the best compromise.

3 lug meaning 3 bolts on each side of the barrel instead of 2 on scar 17s. I run surefire cans with muzzle brakes. I already have a 20 inch scar, and I make hits to 1,000 fine with 16 inch guns, I just don’t like the skinny barrel on the scar 17.

Hey Mike- I have one and I am going to do the same thing. I seen a guy over on a SCAR owners group posted pics of his cut down and it looks awesome. It was a company called Weapon Genetics and I think he said it was 150 for cut and re-thread. There are some pics over on the gunsmiths facebook. I am probably going to use him since he has a fast turn around as well.

That looks pretty awesome...

Attachments

• Scar20s.jpg
    Scar20s.jpg
    684.7 KB · Views: 1,370
3 lug barrel extension block. Sorry I misunderstood you. I actually think if one didn't have a 17s the 16" 20s would be far superior. I say go for it. I have both so I still want one that has a little more velocity and range. Wish the 6.5 creed would come out.

I got inspired, so I brought my MK20 in to my gunsmith to cut and thread down to 18". I always hated the step down back to pencil barrel diameter the last 2 inches. A little shorter, a little lighter with little velocity loss sounds like a good deal to me. I'll update when I get it done.

• Wow
Reactions: CageFighter
I got inspired, so I brought my MK20 in to my gunsmith to cut and thread down to 18". I always hated the step down back to pencil barrel diameter the last 2 inches. A little shorter, a little lighter with little velocity loss sounds like a good deal to me. I'll update when I get it done.

no big deal, when the 6.5 barrel assemblies come out, u can still have a long range shooter w a 5 minute barrel swap. Share pics after cut down.

I know Parker mountain machine cuts scar barrels. I was thinking of having them do the barrel on my 17 when I was briefly thinking of going the SBR route with it.

I know Parker mountain machine cuts scar barrels. I was thinking of having them do the barrel on my 17 when I was briefly thinking of going the SBR route with it.
my 16S & 17S both have chopped barrels to make them 16.1" w OEM brakes. Buhler Ballistics did the work.

Uh, what SR25's you have? Round counts? I may be game. I love my MK20 but I love my SR's more.

If you have the right models, yeah, I'll trade 'ya. No problem. PM me. But you're gonna have to buy or trade out for the 10 or 11 20rd. mags I got for it too.

Make sure to PM me, I may not check back here.

FWIW, cutting chrome lined barrels has never been a really good idea as I understand it. But good luck either way you go and let me know if you wanna trade, maybe we can work something out.

curious to know how it shoots. the step down looks odd, so i put the surefire brake that goes over that part.
i assume the military requested the step down to accommodate a similar muzzle device (gone now with the 6.5CM version).
HGb679H.jpg

Last edited:
Autocorrect got me. Tapered bores. If you cut your FN barrel back you might as well have bought DD.

Good luck with that.....if they ever sell them they will be out of stock like anything else fn makes.
I signed up for notifications at Midwest Gunworks for SCAR 17S 20” barrel assemblies when I bought my 17S. I received the first in stock notification at least 2-3 years later, after I had sold the rifle.

Reactions: camocorvette
looking for...SCAR 20S 308 barrel assembly. (for those who wanna save some on a 6.5CM conversion)

Turns out FN is making one I guess. Maybe I will wait
I have been waiting for years and talked to FN. the CSR 16” do exist but not for civilians and they have no plan to release it.

3 lug barrel extension block. Sorry I misunderstood you. I actually think if one didn't have a 17s the 16" 20s would be far superior. I say go for it. I have both so I still want one that has a little more velocity and range. Wish the 6.5 creed would come out.
You can get a 20 inch 6.5 CM in 1:7 twist to fit a scar 17

maybe a stupid question, but is there a patent or something on the barrel design that precludes sourcing a barrel from a smith? apologies not all that familiar with the scar design.

maybe a stupid question, but is there a patent or something on the barrel design that precludes sourcing a barrel from a smith? apologies not all that familiar with the scar design.
not sure, but deadshotbarrels makes barrels for the scar-h (17) so obviously it isn't impossible.

I recently cut my 20s down to 18" to get rid of the lousy step down at the last 2". It feels perfect to me right now. Lighter, better balance and my accuracy improved. I could care less about warranty as fn wouldn't give you parts much less the time of day regardless. I probably voided it when I put on a suppressor anyway.

Reactions: CageFighter